Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my felling that the CBR500 is small enough that ABS really wouldn't do much. It is more of a safety blanket to make you feel better than anything else, and I don't really think it is worth the extra $500.

Does anyone out there have any harrowing stories about how ABS saved their life on a similar sized (or smaller) bike?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had never given any thought to the possibility that abs has less effect on a smaller bike, but I wish that it didnt come standard on the F and X models in Canada. I would probably buy it without abs just to save money. JMO

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here is a link to some stuff Consumer Reports had to say on the ABS system for the CBR250. If you watch the video at the bottom of the page you can see a clip from the IIHS where they tested a motorcycle stopping on a wet road way with standard breaks and then ABS.

ABS on these bikes is one of the primary reasons I was looking at them instead of a used 650 or 500 from another vendor.

Honda CBR250R ABS motorcycle proves fun, well-suited to new riders

·
Registered
12 Posts
How much weight would ABS add to the bike? Is it recognizable? Just curious because I'm getting ready to place an order and I'm not sure which way to go?

·
Registered
16 Posts
How much weight would ABS add to the bike? Is it recognizable? Just curious because I'm getting ready to place an order and I'm not sure which way to go?
Not sure on the 500, but I read a couple of sites claiming the CBR250R is 357 lbs. without ABS and 366 lbs. with ABS. Hopefully the difference in the 500s wouldn't be much more than that.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
From what Ive read, the 500r with abs is 428lbs, approx 8lbs or so more than the non abs. As well, the 500r does not have c-abs whereas the 250 has combined abs. The weight difference is negligable compared to the added safety factor. I've owned 2 bikes with abs and do not recollect ever having to use it. I practice proper braking and riding awareness but it is nice to know, shd I find myself in a holy sh!te situation the abs is there to help prevent total wheel locking. Abs is a tool, not a system defined to rescue our asses from the consequences of reckless riding. IMO anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I'm getting older and poorer coordinated, as I'm in my 70's. So, one of the appeals of the CB500 is ABS for an extra $500 in the USA.

·
Registered
107 Posts
IMO I think ABS is well worth it. I ride in the city and heard from many people that riding in the city a lot, ABS can be a useful tool.

Plus for $500 more it's just peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I stand corrected. The 500ra is 432 lbs and non abs 428. Sorry boys ;)

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
If you live in wet country like me, abs is cool. In thailand they sell only abs model anyway.
500 bucks will be much more cheaper than your first crash. Think about it.
Abs on cbr500 is pretty conservative by the way.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
I have never rode a ABS equipped motorcycle yet. Im guessing the ABS is not as dramatic as the ABS on vehicles unless its at a crtical moment. So i guess everyone is one with the ABS model for the piece of mind. 500$ s really not that much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am interested in the X model for touring and camping. I want ABS but might not get it because it can not be turn off while on gravel road like the KTM 390 Duke. I think we in Canada will not have a choice any way as all new models come with ABS as standard equipment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
$500 is a small price to pay for extra safety. Though reading Bugs post from above tells me I don't even have that option by living in Canada.

This thread needed a poll.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
ABS is worth it if you can afford it. But without it, the bike is still great.

ABS seems to be an option on many bikes. I think one day it will just be standard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The March issue of SSB magazine has an interesting article on page 66. They basically tested 2 Kawasaki ZX-10's in different road conditions. One had ABS and the other did not.

I'll summarize it:

A good rider doesn't need ABS... MYTH: BUSTED.

There is more to safe breaking than just short stopping distancs. Tire warmth grip of pavement and rider ability to react in that split second before a potential crash all play into it. When a motorcycles front or rear weeh locks up in a panic stop, more often than not the result is loss of control and a crash for a new to occasional street rider. ABS prevents this and also counter acts major lifitng of the reer wheel by monitoring front and reer wheel speeds and providing the maximum amount of breaking force as surfaces allow. What this means is that you can apply the breaks full force without fear of heavy skidding or flipping over.

The stopping distances on the non ABS bike show that skill can compete with ABS in the slower safer speeds on a perfect stretch of asphault;however as the road surface changed and speed increased so too did the inconsistency, with one pass the non ABS bike nearly ending our test on a bad note. Witnessing a near crash from a skid by a skilled rider on a slick but not wet road is enough to bust the myth that a good rider doesn't need ABS.

·
Registered
643 Posts
One of the reasons I'm considering a CB is the standard ABS here in the UK. My last bike (2009 TA 700) had ABS and I really liked having it. It saved me a couple of times I'd say, off road as well. Don't see the point of turning it off for off road use either, unless in really muddy conditions which soft roaders aren't really suited for.

You can be the best rider in the world, used to braking hard for corners and almost locking up or even occasionally locking up. But in those occasions you know its going to happen, you know you are going to brake hard and cadence braking might be needed. When you're just ambling on and that car pulls out on you your instinct is to just grab the lever as hard as you can and a lock up is almost inevitable.

My other bike has ABS and that is from the 1960's. It's a 1968 BSA B40 and no matter how hard you pull or press on the brakes they are never going to lock up!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts