Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2018 cb00f as my daily commuter. The default tires are great for city riding but completely useless for gravel roads. I want to change the tires to let me take my bike to trailheads and campsites in the summer. Does anyone have suggestions for 50/50 tires or dual-sport tires which will hold up to long-term street and highway use? The Mitas e-07 and the Continental TKC's have both been suggested to me.

·
Super Moderator
1,278 Posts
@Coralfire can't go wrong with either of those selections, both come with admirable reputations. You will need to consider sizes though, I'm not sure of the Mitas but the Conti for fitment on it bikes you choose between 150/70 and 170/60.
Skinnier is typically better for offroad however it actually has a larger circumference than even the 170, of which is only marginally larger than stock. So this will increase your final drive ratio, to the point that if you want to do some light duty offroading, it may also be beneficial to swap the rear sprocket for a larger tooth count to bring the ratio back down or even lower ratio then stock, as slower speed on the dirt is more controllable. The 170 will give a nice on road feel and not so noticeable change in drive ratio, though at the expense of offroadability.

Personally, I have run Pirelli Scorpion STR Rally 170/60, I would have gone the TKC80s but there was none in the country at time of purchase. I don't mind the 170s offroad, but there are certain scenarios I can tell a skinnier tyre would have better performance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have been using SHINKO 20/80 (20% off road) on my CB500X and do a good deal of gravel roads. They also have a 40/60 (40% off road) that looks more aggressive for off road if you are on more severe situations. Might want to price those (good tires and cheaper than most other brands). Check Chaparral Web Site (I order a good deal from them -- Free Shipping on most orders, but state tax is charged now).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts