Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picture 1 happened it's supposed to look like picture 2. What do I need to buy?

·
Registered
141 Posts
You need a new Tire inflation valve, they come in multiple sizes, you Will need to remove what is left of the rubber from the old hole, then measure the diameter of the hole and then buy the valve for that size hole. You will then need to remove the tire to get all the bits of rubber from the old valve out from inside the tire, and you also need the tire off to install the new valve In the rim, then put the tire back on and balance the wheel and you are good to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a new Tire inflation valve, they come in multiple sizes, you Will need to remove what is left of the rubber from the old hole, then measure the diameter of the hole and then buy the valve for that size hole. You will then need to remove the tire to get all the bits of rubber from the old valve out from inside the tire, and you also need the tire off to install the new valve In the rim, then put the tire back on and balance the wheel and you are good to go.
Ok, so I wont be able to do it myself, check. Now if I should buy the plug online cheap and see if a mechanic will install it or take it to a mechanic and have them do their own diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My local shop has the valve stems (as they are called here) for about $3 USD, so I have found no need to shop for them. How you happened to destroy yours should be an interesting story. I've had 20 year old ones that didn't fall apart.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah, it just looks like it dry rotted and fell apart when it was moved a bit. Can't figure the upper photo of the missing valve though. The 'hole' seems to be inverted, almost like the tire is off and the photo is of the inner wheel.

·
Registered
51 Posts
IMO just let the shop install whatever valve stems they have in stock. I've had to have several replaced on my 80s vehicles through the years. They've always been a couple bucks each.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As stated, just go to your local shop and let them install what they have, you will save nothing buying it on line and the shop may not be happy to fit a valve that you purchased else where!!

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts