Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Tip: Check your shift lever

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  thespacemonkey1200 
#1 ·
Was just out inspecting the bike, lubing the chain, adjusting things here and there and noticed that the shift arm attached to the splined shaft coming out of the transmission case seemed to be a bit loose on the shaft. I doubled checked and sure enough I could move the arm along the splines and noticed some freeplay in it.

The pinch bolt seemed pretty tight but not tight enough I guess. A 10mm box-end fixed that.

Check everything folks. You never know what you may find...

#2 ·
Yep. I'll withhold judgement as to whether it's a lemon or not since it only has 1000kms on it but I am surprised at what I've seen so far, given Honda's reputation.

#3 ·
Was just out inspecting the bike, lubing the chain, adjusting things here and there and noticed that the shift arm attached to the splined shaft coming out of the transmission case seemed to be a bit loose on the shaft. I doubled checked and sure enough I could move the arm along the splines and noticed some freeplay in it.

The pinch bolt seemed pretty tight but not tight enough I guess. A 10mm box-end fixed that.

nice tip, thx

#6 ·
Should be ok as the bolt is on a notch in the shaft unless bolt fell out it will never come off.
True, wouldn't likely come right off but that looseness is lost-motion when shifting and it could also lead to damage of the splines in the shaft or arm.

I lost my gear change when my Gilles rear sets shift rod loosened eeek was doing 70 mph at time scary!
I bet. :eek

#7 ·
Thanks for the heads up Blackfin. Sharing tips and info is what this place is all about. Cause sharing is caring! :thumbsup

#10 ·

Wow came across this and sure enough mine was slightly loose all these years later your post helped me out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.