Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah, apparently 35mm-45mm (1.4"-1.8") but dealers seem to say 30mm which is 1.2". I'm gonna take it down to 35mm and see how it goes, 10mm difference.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yeah, apparently 35mm-45mm (1.4"-1.8") but dealers seem to say 30mm which is 1.2". I'm gonna take it down to 35mm and see how it goes, 10mm difference.
Hmm, really? Why do dealers suggest something different than the service manual?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dealers sell more chains and sprockets when the slack is adjusted too tight, the chain will stretch faster when it is too tight. ;)

The chain must have a bit of slack with the driver seated on the bike. When driving at a constant pace the lower run of the chain should form a steady arc and lift less than an inch when decelerating. Have a friend drive along and check if needed.

Gear shifts and finding neutral becomes annoying when the chain is too tight. Think of it as adjusting the chain slack instead of tightening the chain. The maximum allowable slack of the chain according to the service manual is 60mm (~2.5") with the bike on the side stand.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts