Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my chain needs tightening but I don't have a torque wrench. My mate has one but I can't use it for a while so in the mean time is it okay to tighten it without one or should I wait it out on a a loosened chain? The slack is about 45mm.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Until the slack exceeds 50 mm, I wouldn't worry about it. Better to have the chain a tad loose than a tad tight.

Reactions: Blackfin

·
Registered
425 Posts
You don't sound like you're from the states, but if so, go to Harbor Freight and pick one up for $12. And even if not, invest in one if you're going to adjust your chain. Don't want to play around with mistorquing the rear axle.

·
Registered
359 Posts
So my chain needs tightening but I don't have a torque wrench.
It is a 15/16" nut. Use a 12" ring spanner (should be standard length for that size)
This is from experience: with spannar extending rearward, tighthen "upwards" until swingarm starts to move upwards. Done.
Careful with the swingarm stand. (lean over the back seat, and pull spanner up).

Then slightly tighten the adjusting nut,12mm shortest spanner.
While holding the 12mm, tighten the locking nut, 10mm shortest spanner.

You can always check with a torque wrench, when you get the chance.

Learn to "feel" the amount of strength required, using the correct length tool relative to the size of the bolt/nut.

·
Registered
18 Posts
At 45mm I would leave it alone. If you tighten it you will be prone to noise and wear issues, as others have said ( and in my own experience) a bit loose is a lot better than a bit tight.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I've tightened the chains on my bikes with my "elbow torque wrench" for decades and never had a problem.

Reactions: whowalks

·
Registered
271 Posts
My experience has been that any honda dealer will do it free of charge if you drop by and ask them. It takes them 1 minute and will tighten everything to specification, so that's what I usually do.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
68 Posts
My experience has been that any honda dealer will do it free of charge if you drop by and ask them. It takes them 1 minute and will tighten everything to specification, so that's what I usually do.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I really don't trust anyone working on anything mechanical of mine unless their shop looks like a formula 1 garage. I seriously doubt any dealer would do anything for free besides check your tire pressure. Adjusting the chain is easy enough to do on our own. No torque wrench required. We wouldn't even need to use our own tools if honda had been nice enough to include at least something in the factory tool kit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I really don't trust anyone working on anything mechanical of mine unless their shop looks like a formula 1 garage. I seriously doubt any dealer would do anything for free besides check your tire pressure. Adjusting the chain is easy enough to do on our own. No torque wrench required. We wouldn't even need to use our own tools if honda had been nice enough to include at least something in the factory tool kit.
I don't trust dealer mechanics either. When I picked up my bike new they didn't even have enough oil in it. Was showing nothing on the sight glass D:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I tightened mine for the first time before winter storage. I don't remember how far out it was but only that it was out. I spent A WHILE doing it, as I wanted it perfectly aligned. I remember before I tightened it, you could push the chain into the rear tire, now you can't.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've tightened the chains on my bikes with my "elbow torque wrench" for decades and never had a problem.
Just tighten to "tight" and then go one inch further :)
Be careful to adjust both sides of the swing arm evenly

check out youtube there are a million clips for it :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I seriously doubt any dealer would do anything for free besides check your tire pressure.
Yup, my dealer said they would need to charge me to adjust the freaking rear suspension pre-load - though only if I brought it in specifically for that, they did say they would do it for free if I asked them to do it as part of an oil change or other service I would normally be paying for.

Needless to say, I ordered the adjuster wrench and handle for $15 (which is still a bit much given that it's a simple piece of cast steel). While I'm ok with Honda skimping on the hex wrenches (because everyone should have a hex wrenches/socket set anyway), not including a specialized tool like the pre-load adjuster is really crappy of them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know I should be able to feel for it for myself but how tight should it be on average? I've heard 30mm but that seems too tight?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I know I should be able to feel for it for myself but how tight should it be on average? I've heard 30mm but that seems too tight?
Don't quote me on this but I just had my rear tire off over the weekend and I believe the acceptable range for chain slack is 1.4 - 1.8".

Rear axle bolt is 65lb ft (I think).

Don't have my manual in front of me...a very worthwhile purchase by the way if you plan on doing any work yourself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts