Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Hope you guys are not tired of noobie questions...
Some background: I am 36 yo, 6" and 80kg/176lb. I have never ridden a bike before except around 6 hours of the mandatory pre-learner course that I did on a VTR250. I think I did OK on the course although it was really basic stuff.

I have just put the deposit down for a black CBR500R that the dealer has in stock. Dealer said that I can call them in the morning and bike will be ready in the afternoon.
I have a bunch of questions, but I will start with the main one is:
As the title says, what are the things I should check/do when taking delivery of the bike? Can they adjust something specifically for me?

Besides that, should I get some crash knobs or other protection for the bike?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Make sure they have the throttle adjusted properly. There should be very little free play. Take it for a spin around the lot or the block and park it back at the dealer. Ask them any questions that pop up. If ride height or shock stiffness needs adjusting, they should do that for you.

Crash protection is, in my view, of questionable value on these bikes, as parts are inexpensive. I've read numerous posts on various forums about frame sliders bending and transmitting forces to the frame, likely causing more harm than good. However, I haven't laid a bike down, so I'm not speaking from experience.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Check the clutch free play: 10mm or so at the ball end of the lever. It should just get noticeably stiffer when the ball on the end of the lever move about 10mm. If it is stiff from the get go and you can't notice a stiffening, then its too tight. If it is really wobbly and has way more than 10 mm, then it is too loose. It's easy to adjust (RTFM), but have the dealer do it first off.

My mates was waaaay to tight, being his first bike he didn't know...it eventually started to slip (as the clutch was never fully disengaged) a little at high rpm gear changes after ~3000km and he mentioned that to me. I helped adjust it properly, but the "damage" was started, and with his low speed U turn practice clutch slipping he destroyed his clutch 500 km later :-( User error, and cost $300 to replace.

Dave

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
#1 thing: check ALL the fluids and air pressure in the tires!
Make sure the fluid levels are where they should be.
( Oil, coolant, brake fluid )
Check chain slack. It shouldn't be tight, and it shouldn't flop around either.
Usually a sticker on the swingarm with chain slack specs.
Next would be controls. ( As was previously mentioned in the above posts. )

When I get a new bike home, I check EVERYTHING. I look it over real good.
Check bolts. Every bolt you see. I just put a wrench on them and make sure nothing is loose.
First ride should be a test/shakedown ride. Listen for noises. Feel for vibrations and wobbles. You can usually "hear" or "feel" if something ain't right.
Be safe.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
As above^ ........also make sure you receive your owners manual. You will need to refer to it over and over again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
FYI, not trying to start an argument here, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.. I'm personally not a fan of crash-protection for a bike in the form of frame-sliders, which are those little pegs which you mount to the frame of the back. The reason being, I've seen too many videos where the bike is sliding on its side, then the frame-slider catches on something (rough pavement, pothole, large wire, etc) and the bike starts tumbling and flipping. Sliding along the fairing isn't so bad, but a bike that flips around and tumbles is going to do significantly more damage.

Could just be me, but I'd rather just let the bike go down and slide along its fairing. Would rather lose the plastic and some bits on the side than the risk of flipping the bike or other consequences.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the fantastic tips!!
I will let you know how it goes tomorrow when I will pick up the bike.
About the crash knobs, I thought they could be a good idea if I drop the bike when it is stationary or when I am at slow speeds and make a mistake braking ( a more likely scenario for my level of riding) but even in such cases I dont know if it will be effective....I will take your feedback onboard.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The guys have pretty much covered but also check the documentation (i.e registration forms and any finance forms properly).

Additionally, for the first couple of hundred miles/KM's - take it easy! brakes & tyres will not be at full operational capacity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for all the tips.

The bike is wonderful! The sensation to ride this bike on the road is nothing short of exhilarating ... maybe a bit too scary due to my experience or lack of there of.
Will provide more details later..maybe in another thread...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts