Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Mine has Mazola Canola Oil, expensive but has a sweet smell and is very healthy ;)
On a serious note, Genie! any word on your bike yet?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
On a serious note, Genie! any word on your bike yet?
just got off the phone to the dealership, apparently being pulled down tomorrow, they had a mechanic killed on a test ride today. :(

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Wow, that is awful news Genie...I can see why that might slow things down in the workshop :(

Dave

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm switching to Amsoil 10w-30 full synthetic with their filter this weekend, I'm at ~1700 miles. Should make my tranny happy.

Those K&N filters don't have the best reputation, I would avoid them.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think the irony in posts asking "will I void my warranty?" is that the warranty doesn't really seem to cover **** all, and it only lasts a year. I don't think I've read one post from a member saying that their dealership happily covered something under warranty. The dealership always seems to fight you on it. And it only lasts a year. Nevermind the warranty. You'll be paying for any service you get. Hopefully you don't need any [exceptional] service.

A common theme seems to be that there's no such thing as "better" when it comes to things like this. It's just "different". It's best to put what the bike wants, I guess... Honda is building the bikes in Thailand! I'm sure if the bikes required a thicker oil for hotter climates they would have noted it. Just make sure you read the owner's manual (which I don't have in front of me right now). I'm sure 10W-30 is fine. And 10W-40 probably won't hurt. Even if it does you'll never know it was the oil that caused it. :p

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
just got off the phone to the dealership, apparently being pulled down tomorrow, they had a mechanic killed on a test ride today. :(
Jesus Christ! :eek That's terrible news. :(

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think the irony in posts asking "will I void my warranty?" is that the warranty doesn't really seem to cover **** all, and it only lasts a year. I don't think I've read one post from a member saying that their dealership happily covered something under warranty. The dealership always seems to fight you on it. And it only lasts a year. Nevermind the warranty. You'll be paying for any service you get. Hopefully you don't need any [exceptional] service.

A common theme seems to be that there's no such thing as "better" when it comes to things like this. It's just "different". It's best to put what the bike wants, I guess... Honda is building the bikes in Thailand! I'm sure if the bikes required a thicker oil for hotter climates they would have noted it. Just make sure you read the owner's manual (which I don't have in front of me right now). I'm sure 10W-30 is fine. And 10W-40 probably won't hurt. Even if it does you'll never know it was the oil that caused it. :p
Honda covered my started module without fuss. :confused2

A baseline oil recommendation from the handbook bible is just that, a recommendation.

·
Registered
240 Posts
After 4k on the odometer, I'm using Motul 300v 10w40. Bike runs cooler and shifting is smoother. I'm confident in this product. Pricey, but worth every dollar.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I switched to Mobil 1 Full Syn 10w40 yesterday and did about 100 miles today and seems to shift nicer than the dinosaur oil that was in it before. I don't have 10w30 full syn to compare to, but this seems good so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading every post in the great oil debate I seem to be no closer to an answer , I live in the colder climate of the UK and no-one has yet explained why almost every other bike uses 10w40 and why hondas engine is so different that it requires 10w30 and I would be much happier if I heard the reason from an experienced Honda technician , after initial run in of 700 miles I changed to 10w40 fully synthetic and ran until 4000 and then on advice from a dealership changed back to castrol fully synthetic 10w30 and have now completed 7000 miles without any loss of performance or reliability I am planning on running my bike all the way to 50000 miles before I get rid and I complete 1000 miles a month , so stay tuned if you want answers

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm not a Honda tech, just a machinist :)
The engine is a modern design with tight tolerances and low internal friction. Some of the parts in the gearbox has less than 0,01 mm clearance when new, which also calls for a thinner oil.

According to motorradonline.de Castrol has the best additives for motorcycle oils at the moment, so your Honda should be happy with their 10W-30 oil. I went for the cheaper semi-synth Power 1 variant which also performs fine.

--
Hans

·
Registered
114 Posts
In terms of using 10w30 vs 10w40, the flow is the same in regard to tolerances. 10w is the flow of the oil regardless. The 30 or 40 has to do with the oils ability to absorb and transfer heat. I believe that Honda recommends using 10w30 because it is such a low revving engine and therefore on short rides 10w40 may not get warm enough to boil off moisture in the crankcase and could cause foaming. I run 10w 40 as the shortest ride I ever take is over 25 miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had the dealership put the factory Honda 10w-30 at 600mi during the valve adjustment.

But...
Just clicked over 5000 mi, and I just put Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. I use it in all of my cars, found out about this oil because of my Suby. I live in SoCal and deal with a lot of heat and traffic and was told this was THE oil for those cars. Since it contains everything you need to run it with Wet Clutches, I thought What the heck, I'll throw it in the bike as well, why not!

So far I have 200 miles with this oil and everything is great. I'm usually at 6k-7k in the RPM's for the majority of my ride on the freeway and I also never have temperature colder than 50F, so I think this oil is right for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mobile 1 synthetic?

I asked my mechanic and he recommends mobile 1 synthetic. Expensive oil but worth the price.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'm pretty new to this owning a vehicle thing. I checked the oil window today and there was very little visible. So I went off to Super Cheap to see what I could find.

I bought Castrol Power 1 Racing, Fully Synthetic 5W-40 as that's what the clerk recommended (I told him the bike type, and he went tap tap tap on the computer and said 'buy this'). I drained the black sludge that was in there from the dealers 1st service (was maybe 2-3 litres) and poured in this stuff till it was sitting around the middle of the oil sight glass.

I don't really know what I'm doing.

I have bought 3 Honda OEM oil filters online, and the bike is currently stored away for 2 weeks so if this stuff is 'not ideal' then I'll drain it when I next see the bike and use a new OEM oil filter.

I ride in 30C+ temps, and live in Western Queensland where it doesn't get cold, only very hot. I have about 6000km on the clock, it is well and truly broken in, and I love my bike and want to get the best oil available to me, that would suit these conditions/bike.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I'm pretty new to this owning a vehicle thing. I checked the oil window today and there was very little visible. So I went off to Super Cheap to see what I could find.
Did you check with the bike leaning on it's kickstand, or did you stand it straight upright the way the owners manual says to? It's always going to read low if it's on the stand. If you filled it up to between the lines when it's leaning on the stand, then you seriously overfilled.

I suspect the guy sold you the most expensive appropriate oil he had available.

Reactions: Thump and bambams
21 - 40 of 80 Posts