Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Am new to this forum; living in Phuket, Thailand and own a new CBR500R.

I have a fuel-related question after being told that the 91-grade fuel is being phased out here !

Can I safely use 95 fuel ??

Does anyone please have a definitive technical answer / solution, as I'm getting differing opinions left, right and centre.

Cheers,

·
Registered
279 Posts
yes you can safely use it. There is a chance (depending on bikes computer for timing and fuel injector timing) that you may get a little worse km/l but higher octane will not harm the bike, just your pocket.

·
Registered
111 Posts
my dealer told me they were told to use 95, u can use 98 also, but the bike will work with 95. once again this is what i've been told i have no other evidence of this being the case. i've used both 98 and 95 and noticed no difference in performance, was also told if i am using 98 to avoid shell, as they add alot of additives to thier 98 fuel which can block up injectors.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
you can use 91, 95 with or without gasohol.
i recommend you got fill it with shell v power 95 gasohol, it is teh best petrol in Thailand.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I'm curious to know, what fuel does everyone use? I used an ethanol blend with an octane rating of 91 in my 250. Not sure what I'm going to use with the 500 yet.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was told by two different mechanics at Bangkok Big Wing that you can use 91 or 95, and that 95 will give better performance than 91. So I wonder why there is a sticker on the tank that specifically says use "Petrol or Gasohol E10 (91)", you would have thought that if 95 was suitable for the engine they would recommend that instead.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I was told by two different mechanics at Bangkok Big Wing that you can use 91 or 95, and that 95 will give better performance than 91. So I wonder why there is a sticker on the tank that specifically says use "Petrol or Gasohol E10 (91)", you would have thought that if 95 was suitable for the engine they would recommend that instead.
So 91 it is?

·
Registered
279 Posts
95 will not give you more performance. Big Wing 'mechanics' are idiots.
:p I am quite surprised as to how many people think if you use higher octane fuel you get better performance and economy. I had a "conversation" about this back in high school with my economics teacher who recomended only filling half your tank with low octane and top it off with high octane.

Ok, if you have higher octane, you can advance the ignition timing giving you slightly more power and slightly better economy due to better burned fuel (on cars at least, dont know how to advance timing on a bike, there is no distributor to rotate). But if the engine is tuned to run on 95, putting in octane will give you nothing. The engine cannot know to advance timing, some engines (again sorry my experience is with cars) have knock sensors and can retard timing. Ive had this conversation with so many people, some surprisingly experienced with automobiles its scary... Ive come to the point that if someone doesnt believe me, I just smile and say OK, and let them believe what they want. Ill just save the baht at top up and go buy a sing... oh wait I dont really drink... ok Coke Zero it is!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your absolutely right, im a mechanic here in Canada and I cannot believe how many people think that it is unsafe to use higher octane fuel or that higher octane will give you better performance.

It only gives you more performance if you increase your spark advance.

Now needless to say running 87 octane in something tuned for 91 can cause detonation and ruin your pistons.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Shell w power had serous r&d behind its products especially shell w power 95 gasohol besides, it is 5 thb cheaper than pure benzyne per liter at 41 thb - 1.4 USD.
If i cannot find Shell, i go for 95 pure benzyne from Caltex if not PTT for 46.5 thb - 1.6 USD - per liter now which is pricey for Thailand.
If you are doing a track day just get 95 pure benzyne.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jet fuel it is ..

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
You can run 91 or 95. No problem

Now the question is. Can you run 87? haha

Or just pour some lighter fluid in and run that. Or vegetable oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got my bike a few days ago.
In the manual (united states) it says:

Recommended fuel octane number:
Pump Octane Number (PON) 86 or higher

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Yes, there should be a sticker on your tank lid.
I also recommend Shell, I use 91 gasohol, it's cheaper than the 95.
My Wave 125 FI had some hick-ups and died once in a while when I whacked the throttle off-idle, thought it was a FI glitch. But using Shell 91 exclusively cured it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
There is no RON in the US fuel ratings.

The US uses "PON" not "RON". The rest of the world uses RON.

87 PON = 91 RON.

Gallons aren't the only thing the US insists on doing differently to the rest of the world hehe ;-)

Dave

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my experience octane talks turn into flame wars in forums I would go with manufacturer recommended octane rated gas on a side note I avoid alcohol fuel as a general rule always had issues with it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts