Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Ive been looking at the 2020 model for a while, anyone here are really tall rider. I'm 6'6 and 260lbs and I'm curious about the fit and long distance drives, it feels fine. I will be using the bike for mostly commuting and have no interest in going fast. It doesn't feel awkward although a friend of mine said i look like a shriner and I'm trying to decide if this bike would be up my alley. I'm not a fan of cruisers/adventure bikes, no appeal to me. Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,193 Posts
I'm guessing you'd be fine on it (based on a cycle-ergo check):

but you'd probably want to gear up and take one out on a test ride to be sure it's not too cramped.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hello All,

Ive been looking at the 2020 model for a while, anyone here are really tall rider. I'm 6'6 and 260lbs and I'm curious about the fit and long distance drives, it feels fine. I will be using the bike for mostly commuting and have no interest in going fast. It doesn't feel awkward although a friend of mine said i look like a shriner and I'm trying to decide if this bike would be up my alley. I'm not a fan of cruisers/adventure bikes, no appeal to me. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Great commuter bike and seems reliable. I would think that you may want to add some padding on the seat - both to save your bottom, but also to add some height between you and the footpegs.

I also have seen peg lowering kits to help for taller people as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm 6' 3 and find my 2014 model comfortable for about 2 hrs after which I need to stop and stretch my legs. My wife says I look a bit tall on it from the side, but that doesn't bother me as it's so fun and easy to ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I have a 2020 cb500f, I am 5' 8. I got it a month ago and have driven it for ~300 KMS, so limited experience. In my opinion Its fun to ride. I can ride it for 1.5 hrs with some stiffness in the back & shoulders. I am planning to get risers for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello All,

I’m 5’4” at 165lbs the seat height is perfect for me. I’d get a 650f if I were you being that tall
Or get the smaller Africa twin and take the windshield off. Now that bike would fit you perfect. I know you don’t like the adventure type bikes but for your size and weight it would fit you better, and you’ll be more comfortable commuting

·
Registered
172 Posts
Beruli: I recently put a Russell "Day Long" seat on my '17 CB-500F and it has made the bike a masterpiece of comfort. They are expensive, $450 USD plus shipping was $45, but they will build a seat high enough for a very tall rider or a shorter one. I'm 5' 10" and they got it right. I was never happy with the OEM seat or the Corbin that replaced it. The Russell seat was, for me, worth every penny. It is not an "off the shelf" item, as is the Corbin. It is totally made for the customer's needs. I ride for several hours with no discomfort at all. You'll need 30mm bar risers (from E-bay, very inexpensive), which is about as high as you can get with standard cables. I put these on mine. Much improved, but I suspect you'll still find the bars a bit low.

Ralph

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300A/2020 CB500F A
18 Posts
I'm not sure about previous model years (prior to 2019) - I have a 2020 500F and about 6'1" 190/180 on a good day. So far, the seat itself has been extremely comfortable (other ride is a Rebel, where Honda literally put two sheets of A4 paper as a cushion 🤣). I find my lower half is comfortable overall and not cramped; I can grip the side panels nicely without touching the tank...but only just. Upper half however does get a bit uncomfortable after some time, especially on the arms and more specifically on the palms actually.

Even though I have ape arms, the lean to the handlebar comes at a higher angle from the top down. So all my upper body weight is being pressed down on the handles and that tends to get a little painful. Reach itself is not an issue obviously - like I don't have to hunch over to reach, it's just the angle at which my hands make contact. Risers would be very helpful and urgently needed.

It is a smaller bike, and you may look "funny" on it...but that's subjective. People of all heights ride Groms etc...

For the purposes you outlined, the 500 is plenty to get you in and out of trouble easily. I think there's enough power to do whatever you need to do on it and keep up/overtake easily in any "normal" situation (not talking about racing liter bikes and super cars).

Try the 500X also...could be a better fit 🤓

1 - 9 of 9 Posts