Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Look functional. Give us a review on how well it works. What type of mechanism secures it to the bike?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got one of these a couple weeks ago but did not post as photos not working correct. They really are great and stay on bike all the time. You can put in a dozen eggs, loaf of bread, bottle of wine and 4 potatoes (my first try out). Last weekend was 12" laptop, pants, shoes, camera (dslr) etc. Today always have a turtle neck sweater that just tucks in without zipping open the bag part. The Really neat part is with the sweater in, it acts like a mini backrest that puts just touch of pressure on lower back. Velcros around seat and stays in place better than I thought it would. It works by un-zipping on 3 1/2 sides and then zipping open the bag part now exposed. Simple and not gimicky as it sounds. This does not replace a large tank bag but allows a medium tank bag and this for 5 day trip.....Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Really neat part is with the sweater in, it acts like a mini backrest that puts just touch of pressure on lower back.
Even with the bag collapsed and zipped up, I still felt like there was a mini backrest, not really, but it seems like just as much as the rear seat cowl

And its definitely more functional!

·
Registered
221 Posts
That looks really badass! Nice bag to throw on instead of the cowl, for when a short trip to the store. What keeps it on the down position?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bet you could fit an Aerostich one peice suit in that! Great idea.. If I wanted to keep this secure I imagine you'd just throw a padlock on the zipper?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What keeps it on the down position?

This picture shows how it attaches(though this is not a seat from a 500r):

First, the stretchy material stretches around and over the seat. It leaves the two latch pieces exposed so the seat can still go on and lock securely.
Second, each corner has a velcro strap coming towards the center, and each corner connects with its caddy corner to make a secondary secure fit. The picture shows the finished product.

I bet you could fit an Aerostich one peice suit in that! Great idea.. If I wanted to keep this secure I imagine you'd just throw a padlock on the zipper?
If you trust those small locks that fit in regular zipper handles, then yeah I supposed you can.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I saw this post a long time ago and remember thinking it would be very handy to have. Had a $40 gift certificate to amazon.com and found one of these little guys on there. Decided to go ahead and get one. Glad I didn't pay $70 for it, but for 30 bucks it will be a nice addition for my commute. I've never really liked the backpack thing and this should allow me to take my lunch and some other stuff without the need to use one. Seems very stable, it's well built, and it almost disappears when it is zipped into it's "compact mode". I like it. :thumbsup

·
Registered
289 Posts
Bump. I just picked one of these up too. The quality seems really good. It is a great "I left my tank bag home today, but I really want to grab some take-out on the way home" bag!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Update

Update: Well, after 2 years I still very much love this bag! Of course, the best part is that it is always there. I always think that I'm going for a quick ride, but I never know where I'll end up. There has been so many times where I've stopped to grab take out, or some quick groceries on my way home. I've put beverages and a bag of chips in there on the way to friends' places. Start out on a chilly morning ride and need a place to put that extra layer and that extra pair of gloves...zip, zip, done. It is amazing how much stuff you can fit in it.

I don't think that it detracts from the looks of the bike, in fact, I don't think most people even notice it unless I point it out. Then, they just think it is cool.

The only negative thing I have to say about it after 2 years is that the black elastic fabric that hugs the pillion seat has started to fade from the UV exposure, but so has the black on my jacket, so what are you gonna do? The zippers still function, the top has not cracked, the fabric has not frayed, and it has never come loose. I, too, thought it seemed expensive, but I think that I've gotten my money's worth out of it. Most bike stuff is expensive, really.

I have the size 7 that fits on the 2013-2015 R & F models, and I am not familiar enough with the 2016 changes to recommend a size. It will not take the place of a top box or panniers, obviously, but I call it "the bag I have when I didn't know that I needed to bring a bag", bag.

Happy riding.

·
Registered
18 Posts
bag looks great, and nice to know it holds up. I rigged up a bag with a bungee, but this is a lot cleaner. thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
May be a dumb question, but is it supposed to stay on when you have a passenger? From the advertising blurb: When not needed, simply zip it up and it becomes a stylish padded seat cover.

Has anyone tried it? Is it comfortable for the passenger to sit on? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

·
Registered
113 Posts
"size 7 that fits on the 2013-2015 R & F models, and I am not familiar enough with the 2016 changes to recommend a size. "

According to Cycle Guys site.
Size 7 is 13" X 12" X 2" fits 2013 - 2015

Size 2 is 15.6" X 11.9" X 2" fits 2016 & 2017

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'm going to call those Cycle Guys up to get the match for the 2016 model. I need something like this, if only to carry a bottle of water on hot days. Once in awhile, I'll stop for a snack or a drink and end up with a water bottle under by jacket. The other day I went to Subway and they were doing those footlongs for 6 bucks. End up with half of that sandwich under my jacket for the ride home. The next day the darn jacket still smelled like an onion. I need a way to pack stuff like that on the bike.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a Fastpack good & handy but just don't put solid heavy things in for longer rides. I think best for maybe clothing. They will work for putting groceries in for shorter distances to home

1 - 19 of 19 Posts