Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’ve had a weird problem that seems to be getting worse.
when I’m going around 30-40 mph sitting at a constant rpm, I think between 2000-3000, the bike seems to have a surging issue. It almost feels like it jumps a little bit. If it wasn’t a twin cylinder I would assume it was a misfire, but I would think that would be more dramatic.
don’t really know where to start, so if anyone has any ideas let me know! Try to do my own maintenance so I’d like to avoid taking it to a maintenance shop.

·
Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
74 Posts
Probably you are experimenting the effect of ignition map discontinuities below 4000RPM. I suppose you are going at almost closed throttle, right? Throttle response is bit weird there but it can be fixed via remap. Which MY is your bike?

·
Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
74 Posts
Sorry man. Was still half asleep and running late for work lol
Somewhere between 1/4 and half throttle I feel like.
It reminds me similar problems reported by other folks - it was a rust obstructing fuel filter inside fuel tank. Seems probable with 2015 bike. You can try to check the inside of fuel tank with a torch for the traces of rust.

·
Registered
199 Posts
He means flashlight - not a real torch!!
And 2000-3000 rpms is a bit slow for the engine, it called luging.
Try shifting down a gear to get the rpms up and the problem will most likely go away!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
40 mph at 2k is fine on most cruisers, but our pistons are a bit short for that. Jdock is probably correct. Engine is most likely lugging. Try bringing up the rpm and report back to us. If it still has this issue then answer these questions. Does your bike have any mods? If so, what? How long have you had your bike and how much riding experience do you have? How many miles on the odo?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts