Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having issues getting my steering head adjusted. At first I thought it could be loose so I tightened it but that didnt help. I then replaced the bearing with a new oem one I had and redid the process , still nothing. When I brake my steering still moves and I can hear the clunk. What am I doing wrong what else could be causing this issue ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you checked the head bearings with the front wheel off the ground, should feel smooth lock to lock without stiffness, also pull and push front wheel back and forth,you should feel any Freeplay if you haven't overtightened head bearings. Have you changed both bearings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the head bearings with the front wheel off the ground, should feel smooth lock to lock without stiffness, also pull and push front wheel back and forth,you should feel any Freeplay if you haven't overtightened head bearings. Have you changed both bearings.
Yeah at first I changed the top bearing then I changed the bottom . I think I got it I haven't checked if its loose again but when I have it up on the stand and tighten the steering as soon as I go for a ride and brake it will still move slightly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are you sure it's the head bearings at fault. Are you saying you tighten the head bearings and after a ride you Jacki it up and you have Freeplay again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I tighten jt it sits good everything turns perfectly its all good then after I go for a quick ride it goes back to how it was. I'm assuming its the bearings since I'd what else could be causing it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You obviously fitted new outer race top and bottom with taper roller, so did you get the outer race seated properly.?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I could run through how I would set the bearing pre-load, but there is a good tutorial on this site if you do a search.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could run through how I would set the bearing pre-load, but there is a good tutorial on this site if you do a search.
I thought I fixed the problem i couldn't find good races for my bike so I found some that fit but from another bike. Now I'm wondering if I should get different kinds made specifically for my cbr500r. But I can't seem to find any online ??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I fixed the problem i couldn't find good races for my bike so I found some that fit but from another bike. Now I'm wondering if I should get different kinds made specifically for my cbr500r. But I can't seem to find any online .my steering still moves when I brake and now I belive its causing wobbles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I thought I fixed the problem i couldn't find good races for my bike so I found some that fit but from another bike. Now I'm wondering if I should get different kinds made specifically for my cbr500r. But I can't seem to find any online ??
I think you hit the nail right on the head. Correct bearings will sort it. How can it be no one lists bearings in your big country. If you have the old bearings you could find matches by bearing numbers. Don't you have motorcycle spares shops or on line suppliers. In the UK it's so easy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts