Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

State Inspection - US

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Siniestro 
#1 ·
Hey all, this is probably the dumbest question in this forum lol but I got to take my bike for my first state inspection, do I have to take it a motorcycle dealer/shop or can I take it any gas station that does state inspections? thanks fellas.

#2 ·
You can go to any place that offers state inspection. Some states don't require inspections including: Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, South Carolina, South Dakota, Michigan and Mississippi. Maryland only requires one inspection prior to registration.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Siniestro
#4 · (Edited)
I'm not so sure about that idea. Unless the state of NC has recently changed it's requirements, a separate set of certification standards are required to inspect motorcycles. Not to say a gas station/garage can't also be certified to inspect motorcycles, but we can not assume all shops displaying a 'NC Inspection Station' sign will be able to do so.
I can certainly be wrong... and I'm certain the local-to-me NC yahoos I have in mind aren't necessarily typical of all mechanics/inspectors... but I'd like to believe the technician certifying the safety of my motorcycle knows something about it's operation.

#5 ·
In Texas, cars and bikes and some trailers are required to pass an annual inspection. if the vehicle is to have a current registration. Cost is $7 and includes tires,, headlight, taillight, stoplight operated by both hand and foot controls, , directional signals, horn, odometer reading (not for trailers). I pre-check my bikes and never have had a problem.

Ralph

#6 ·
I pre-check my bikes too, but still an annual inspection is required and cross-checked by the NC Dept. of Motor Vehicles before the annual vehicle tag will be issued. So, it's assuring to know someone, who is qualified, is checking behind me. (y)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.