Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, first post on any bike forum...

So I've got myself a half done cbr500r project. I've almost done the cosmetics/wiring and was thinking for future when I'm riding it.

I've been riding a zx6r and have been getting good noob wheelies 5-8 sec wheelies, but I'm actually not legally allowed to ride this for another 2 years when I get my R licence so I got this CBR.

I'm thinking of going -1, +2 front and rear (was thinking +4 but couldn't find any)... Is this going to make a fat difference? Will I still be able to get to 140-150kph? (Stock 180kph)

I've never done any sprocket swaps so I'm not sure on performance difference.

Anyone done any sprocket changes on their CBR, could you tell me how much difference it made?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The guy I bought it off had an accident and started turning it into a scrambler, he did post some stuff on this forum and had a few people interested in his progress. If interested I can keep posted about the build.

The random rusted plank is a seat thing the guy made that I bought it off, using it to cover the welding spatter (just spot welding/tacking). I've decided to use the stock seat and make a subframe that suits.

It's a one seater, waiting on arrival of brake lights to finalize the tail end. Not sure how I'll need to fit it on so don't want to go crazy.

I suppose almost finished cosmetics was a fat exaggeration... I've got it all planned but still got lots to actually do... Need to finish subframe, sand blast, paint. Mount dash, mount front & back indicators, wire up everything... CHANGE SPROCKETS... maybe.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well good luck to you with the project. I have just changed gearing, tried 14 On the front and for me it just wanted rev and run at 6,000 plus all the time, major fun but I was worried about long term reliability. And it does knock off some top speed. Certainly wouldn't power wheelie though I have gone back to 15 front and 43 rear a nice compromise.

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,193 Posts
I'm thinking of going -1, +2 front and rear (was thinking +4 but couldn't find any)... Is this going to make a fat difference? Will I still be able to get to 140-150kph? (Stock 180kph)
Stock sprockets are 15/41 giving a final drive of 2.73:1.

If you go to 14/43 you'll be at 3.07:1

This means that the top-speed with the new sprockets would be 88.8% of the original top-speed (180kph) which would be 160kph.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock sprockets are 15/41 giving a final drive of 2.73:1.

If you go to 14/43 you'll be at 3.07:1

This means that the top-speed with the new sprockets would be 88.8% of the original top-speed (180kph) which would be 160kph.
Ah rightio! So you decide it the opposite way around? Like 41/15 instead of 15/41?
Well I suppose this couldn't of been a better answer, thanks both of you for a quick reply!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Certainly wouldn't power wheelie though I have gone back to 15 front and 43 rear a nice compromise.
Power wheelies scare the crap out of me... I only ever do clutch ups! Power wheelies take too long to get to balance point and when it does it starts hitting that peak power and wants to throw you off the back!

When you say it wanted to ride at 6,000rpms... Do you mean that's where it felt smooth? If it makes out at 160kph surely 100kph/60mph would sit at a comfortable 5,000rpms?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Power wheelies scare the crap out of me... I only ever do clutch ups! Power wheelies take too long to get to balance point and when it does it starts hitting that peak power and wants to throw you off the back!

When you say it wanted to ride at 6,000rpms... Do you mean that's where it felt smooth? If it makes out at 160kph surely 100kph/60mph would sit at a comfortable 5,000rpms?
It just wanted to go all the time, it was like it had to do a minimum of 6,250 as a starting point just to keep it happy.. A registered 79 mph but in reality about 70mph. And the problem is if you like to get stuck in it promotes fast riding, and you end up caning it in every gear and pass everything in site. Red mist comes to mind, for me and the bike. It would rev to 8,500 in top no problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts