Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I changed my tyre today on the back and noticed that theres a few mm gap between the hub and wheel. On one side it's 1mm and other side is just below 2mm. I didn't think of it much as that how it's always been when I got bike. But after doing some reading, it turns out it's meant to be completely flush? Does that mean that it isn't fully in? My sprocket looks like it's slightly inclined so the chain is always against the sprocket no matter how much I align the wheel.

I've included a picture but not sure if you can see much.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
The hub that the sprocket mounts to can rotate a small amount relative to the wheel - there are rubber pieces inside the hub that couple the rotation to the wheel. So it seems to me that the two surfaces should not touch

On my 2014 CB500F the gap between hub flange and wheel is about 0.8-0.9 mm. I doubt the exact gap is too critical but it should be (nearly) the same all the way around. If your gap varies from 1.0 to 1.9mm that seems too much to me.

The service manual says the wheel has two axle bearings and the hub has its own bearing on the axle.
Could the hub bearing be damaged? With the rear tire in the air you could wiggle the rear sprocket and see how much the gap varies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bearings feel solid no play in the wheel at all. I will try to refit it again tomorrow. I thought maybe it has to be completely flush, so thought something may not be right.

Sometimes the more time I spend on bike the more issues I seem to find or imagine they exist.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's a job to tell by the pictures. You should a have a gap, and it should be a consistent gap as has been said. So when you spin the wheel does the sprocket stay dead true or does it wobble the same as the gap changes between the sprocket carrier and wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts