Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there y’all!
I recently picked up my first bike ever, a 2016 Cbr500R. I was wondering if there was any way to achieve a sportier/more forward lean while seated. I don’t know much about motorcycles just yet so I’m not too familiar with the terminology.

Thanks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
You should have bought a cbr600, but if you are just going to be riding on the street, and especially over long distances, you will find the 500r is more comfortable, with less weight on your wrists and kink in your neck.

·
Super Moderator
1,286 Posts
You can alter your position with the purchase of aftermarket rearsets and clip-ons.
They're not going to be as comfortable as stock, so it'll depend how long your typically in the saddle for if you want to go that route

·
Registered
111 Posts
You may find you can get a bit lower with your bike by moving slightly rearwards on the seat, leaning forward and allowing your elbows to bend more.

With forward lean it is important to not put weight on your wrists - support your upper body with the hips and legs. Keeping elbows and wrists loose and free to move gives us much better control of the bike. It takes some practice for the body to do all this automatically.

And the more forward the riding position, the more of this body support the rider needs...

Have fun.

Reactions: bambams

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there y’all!
I recently picked up my first bike ever, a 2016 Cbr500R. I was wondering if there was any way to achieve a sportier/more forward lean while seated. I don’t know much about motorcycles just yet so I’m not too familiar with the terminology.

Thanks!
I found when I could get the bike to go faster than 20 mph I adjusted my seating accordingly.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
It's best to ride the bike as it was designed. It's a lot more comfortable that way (which is not very comfortable at all without an air cussion and a throttle lock to give your hands a break; but a new rider should focus on learning to ride safe before adding such distractions). Nothing stops you from leaning harder other than your body position and the strength of your core/legs. But there's no advantage to doing so. It'll just wear you out sooner.

Instead of worrying how cool you look just ride your ride. You'll still look plenty cool to non-riders that won't notice such details. And even most other motorcyclists aren't worried about that silliness. Installing aftermarket rearsets to modify your riding position before you know what you're doing is a good way to draw eye rolls instead of respect from other riders. Crawl before you walk.

I used to think like that when I started too, but after 8 years my bike is still stock and not a single rider has ever cared. In fact, the older the rider the more they appreciate a stock bike. Eventually the brains start doing the thinking instead of the penis. 😁

If it hasn't been said yet make sure to take a motorcycle safety course like the MSF program before riding. It's not like a car that just anybody can ride. You need to be taught if you want to stay alive. All the gear all the time! No exceptions! Better to sweat your ass off than to grind it off on the asphalt! Ride safe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's best to ride the bike as it was designed.
There is a lot of things you can adapt to you. Mass product development is not exact science - it's just a way to comply certain design requirements based on certain market target. If the requierement was "suspension for average 80kg rider with 90% of commuting and 10% of spirited twisties" and you are 65kg rider and prone to footpeg scraping we are not OK despite all the engineering effort.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If you want a different bike then buy a different bike. There are reasonable upgrades to make for an experienced rider that bought the bike to upgrade it for a unique experience, but it shouldn't matter to a beginner. I've gone from 58 kg to 84 kg and back again in the past 4 years. I didn't even need to adjust the preload of my rear spring, let alone upgrade the bike! If you do perhaps you're doing something wrong, or at least should take it to a track. That's your business, not mine. I've never scraped the pegs and that's going well over the speed limit on all sorts of roads safely. Your mileage may vary. Perhaps you're riding beyond your ability. Anyway, that's not most riders.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is no such a thing as perfect bike - there is only a bike that fits your needs or not. All mass product bikes are made thinking in a kind of metaphysical average Joe on average road doing average things (and we are speaking about global Honda model so think about the differences between European, USA, Australian or Asian markets). No matter which you buys - it still needs some tweaks to work at 100% - that's why suspension adjusters, adjstable levers and rearsets was created for.

Glad to see you are happy with your bike. But there a lot of people out there that thinks differently. And a lot of incredible mods can be made to this bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Regarding sportier position question. IMHO it would be not so optimal if you are a new rider. It's more difficult to learn how to use the throttle smoothly, how to have a relaxed grip on corners and master simultaneous front braking and throttle blipping for smooth downshifting with too foward leaned position. This skills will allow you to ride safer and faster than any rearset.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Honda do not make single global models of their bikes but make tweaks for different markets. In Japan and Singapore the 500 twins are 399cc to meet their medium-sized bike licensing. In the U.S. there is a different model made just for California to meet their emission standards.

Honda make things like levers adjustable because they know they are things which need adjusting to suit different riders and situation. The things they do not make adjustable are the things that do not need adjusting. Changing other things is a matter of a rider having a preference that it was a different bike, not Honda not being able to suit everyone.

And if things were so based on a non-existent average person that everyone needs to make adjustments, Honda would be selling those tweaks with enormous markups, like they do with the genuine accessories they sell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On entry level bikes things are not adjustable due to various reasons:
  • The majority of buyers havent enough experience to know WHAT and HOW things should be changed. How many newbies knows which is the correct amount of LS compression damping that fits their needs? Or how to adjust correctly bike geometry? Or which is the correct tyre presure for their riding style?
  • The need to keep prices low.
  • As a trick to make you spent more money buying higher level bike that you don't need really.
  • Market segmentation.

But there is a lot of folks that found that THIS bike fits their needs like no other and wants to improve it even more. This is how you obtain a perfect bike for you. In fact 90% of bike forum's content is about this.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
90% of bike forum content is people with more money than brains wasting money to make their bike sound like something it's not, look like something it's not, and perform like something it's not. The majority of humanity is stupid. That's what happened in the last 4 years in the USA. Human nature is dumb as a brick. Beginners need to know that there's ZERO reason for wasting that money. It doesn't need to be so expensive to own this bike. It comes with everything it needs. Just ride it safely for years to come. Everybody is free to make whatever changes they want, but that's their choice to waste the money. I guess they don't have a family to take care of, or a future to save for. We don't need any more blind bikers following blind bikers. There's no shortage of STUPID advice you'll get on a motorcycle forum or in a parking lot. Just as with every other aspect of life, it pays to be skeptical, question everything, and make up your own mind. Are you still trying to convince me or are you trying to convince yourself? Have a good one. The only debt that I have is my mortgage. I like it that way.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
152 Posts
To my 2019 500F I added:
  • foot extension shoe - so the bike won't fall when parking in soft sand and similar places
  • low-end windshield - so highway driving now is reasonable
  • battery tender cable - a must
  • USB converter from battery tender extension + USB cord - cheap and I wanted to test an untethered/unused iPhone that as in the drawer as a GPS unit
  • cheap/reliable iPhone holder
  • sliders - so if the bike falls it won't destroy most plastics or the engine

That's it. Really don't need anything else and I'm happy. Those parts were cheap, too. I don't care about a sportier position, the bike is fast enough and I'm not willing to pay thousands of dollars in tickets and lose my driver's license.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts