Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend just sent me over an interesting article on whether you should choose to ride a motorcycle. I found it quite interesting as they ask you question and see if your suitable to ride a motorcycle or not. Some are quick to jump in to the motorcycle world sometimes for the wrong reasons but there are more important factors to consider. I know amongst this bunch there are quite a few experienced riders but maybe some new ones too.

Maybe reading this over for some of the newer riders would help determine a few things. The Honda CBR500 is a nice bike to consider and the variants of the CBR500 series has all three to suffice each riding style. Just be safe riding and take time to learn the necessary knowledge about motorcycles and riding them safely.

Hope this helps :)

Since the invention of the motorcycle, people have been drawn to them for a variety of reasons. They are fun, fast, and give feelings of freedom and power. You can aggressively lean into corners, or just kick back. The experience is an open-air ride no car can come close to offering.
And for just about as long, marketers have been selling motorcycles based on these attributes, delivering up better and better machines. Riders too, have long recruited others, telling them how much fun and what a great lifestyle it is.
Should You Ride a Motorcycle?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I've noticed that many of my friends who are getting married and now have kids are putting down their motorcycles because of "fear"

Personally I'm not sure what riding a motorcycle has to do with having a kid but this is just something I've noticed.

People treat it like a "gotta do it while you are young" sorta thing. I don't agree at all.

Where all the older riders at!?

·
Registered
458 Posts
It's completely the opposite in the UK. Most riders are middle aged. I think it is too hard and too expensive to get a motorcycle license nowadays that people just don't bother.

A 17 yr old starting riding now and wanting to ride a big bike would need to take 7 practical tests and a theory and spend at least 4 yrs gaining experience on smaller bikes before they could ride a bike with more than 50hp.

People at 17 can take one practical and one theory car test and drive what kind of car they like. Which would you do?

The latest laws introduced will probably see the end of motorcycles in the UK once the older riders decide to give it up as there won't be the younger ones replacing them. Too much money for all the lessons and tests and too much hassle

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Where all the older riders at!?
They are on Harley's and cruisers. ( Or land-whales like the Goldwing. )
And many of them don't ride on a regular basis.

I'm an older rider who has been riding dirt bikes for 25 years. I stayed away from street bikes because I couldn't rely on other idiot drivers on the road to not run into me. The streets are full of people everyday who shouldn't even have a license or be behind the wheel.
I always wanted to ride a street bike, and fed my desire with dirt bikes over the years.
I finally decided to give it a shot. The new CBR500R is calling me. Seems like the perfect bike for me.
I still need to work on getting my moto license, and I plan to only use the CBR once in awhile mainly for recreational riding when I feel the need to get into the wind and enjoy life.
I don't need it for transportation. It's more of a "bucket-list" thing for me.
I have no problems riding a bike on the streets. I just worry about all the other idiots out there in their 4-wheel cages.
On a dirt bike, it's YOU... and the GROUND. On the street, it's you, the asphalt, and thousands of idiots all around you.
Wish me luck. My CBR is on order. Should be here late next month hopefully.
:D

·
Registered
924 Posts
32 and just starting out. Not old by any stretch, but older then most of the moto vloggers on YouTube. I have some grand designs on recreational track riding and its easier to own a ducati panigale then a Lambo.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Not all old dudes are riding cruisers or whales.

I did have a period where my inability to work would have been calamitous with my wife tending 3 rugrats.

Once the boys were older, I went back to riding with a CT110, which was handy in Montana.

Reactions: Natrix and CBR_Dave

·
Registered
582 Posts
I started just after my 39th birthday. Picked up a VF750S and went touring for a couple of weeks. The good thing about being in Thailand is that the law is only enforced when the policeman needs some more whiskey money and even then it's only a few dollars.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I started at 20 yrs old, mainly on rentals abroad (scooters) to get the feel - I did have my provisional bike license (that was sufficient in those days). I brought my first bike at 23yrs old and kept it for a couple of years then had to sell it as couldn't afford it any longer. Over the years thereafter rode on occasions on rentals again. Had a 7 year break in which got married and we had a kid. Kid now 2 yrs old and I've been back riding over a year now (i.e since he;s been sleeping!!!). I'm now close to 40yrs old and love riding more then ever. The experience I've gain actually makes riding a lot more fun as I've learnt to read the road and road users more efficiently. Still make mis-judgements ever now and then but I reckon you have a riders instinct in you, not something you can learn really.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts