Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone! Name is Patrick, I just joined the 500 club yesterday with a 2020 CBR500R. I had been researching with plans to buy a pre-owned in the spring, but my wife had been paying a little closer attention than I realized and surprised me with a new one! Can't and won't complain!
I've had a couple cruisers in the past, a 1976 Honda 750-Four, and an 1981 Shadow 750. I've also had a 1978 CB125 street bike, that wanted so badly to be a motorcycle, but was still too grown up to be a moped. Poor thing was like an awkward teenager.
Since those I was feeling like I wanted something for the twists and turns, and something much lighter. Those things were too heavy for my liking. (except for the 125 obviously)

So the only thing that sucks is I live in the winter-belt so unless global warming ramps up, no riding for me for a few months.
I'm very eager to see the mods you all have done to make your bikes more your own, and read about your experiences. Of course, I'm also itching for the oddball warm-ish day until spring hits.

If anyone wants to make recommendations on must-have mods, I'm all ears. I'm already looking at a Yoshimura, but people I know keep suggesting the Coffman is nearly the same. I don't hear it that way to be honest.

Anyway.....Hi!:giggle:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the Forum. A good place to start is from previous discussions.
Upper left of this page is "Forums"... click on that to pick a category and see if there's anything you like. Topics are sorted by titles, and are pretty well ordered.. Ride Safe and Enjoy.

·
Registered
2018 Suzuki GSXS-1000F
324 Posts
Welcome aboard. As airhead mentioned, there are many threads regarding mods. I would suggest searching for threads by tothezenith and Oyabun as great places to start. They both have great experience modding these bikes and have been an inspiration to a lot of us on here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi there everyone! Name is Patrick, I just joined the 500 club yesterday with a 2020 CBR500R. I had been researching with plans to buy a pre-owned in the spring, but my wife had been paying a little closer attention than I realized and surprised me with a new one! Can't and won't complain!
I've had a couple cruisers in the past, a 1976 Honda 750-Four, and an 1981 Shadow 750. I've also had a 1978 CB125 street bike, that wanted so badly to be a motorcycle, but was still too grown up to be a moped. Poor thing was like an awkward teenager.
Since those I was feeling like I wanted something for the twists and turns, and something much lighter. Those things were too heavy for my liking. (except for the 125 obviously)

So the only thing that sucks is I live in the winter-belt so unless global warming ramps up, no riding for me for a few months.
I'm very eager to see the mods you all have done to make your bikes more your own, and read about your experiences. Of course, I'm also itching for the oddball warm-ish day until spring hits.

If anyone wants to make recommendations on must-have mods, I'm all ears. I'm already looking at a Yoshimura, but people I know keep suggesting the Coffman is nearly the same. I don't hear it that way to be honest.

Anyway.....Hi!:giggle:
Welcome! Congrats on the new bike. In regards to the exhaust, I have the Yoshi slip on. It looks sharp and adds a little bit of sound to the factory "sewing machine" sound. But it's not loud or deep. If you want that, something that thumps, you are going to need to do a full exhaust (in my opinion) with a tune (unless someone is making a full exhaust for the 500 now that doesn't require a tune). I've heard the Arrow system and it sounds pretty darn good for a sporty twin. Night and day to my Yoshi slip on, though it required a tune. Either way, welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! Congrats on the new bike. In regards to the exhaust, I have the Yoshi slip on. It looks sharp and adds a little bit of sound to the factory "sewing machine" sound. But it's not loud or deep. If you want that, something that thumps, you are going to need to do a full exhaust (in my opinion) with a tune (unless someone is making a full exhaust for the 500 now that doesn't require a tune). I've heard the Arrow system and it sounds pretty darn good for a sporty twin. Night and day to my Yoshi slip on, though it required a tune. Either way, welcome!
Thanks!
Good to know that the slip-on will only make a slight change to the exhaust note. At least it's a place to start!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome.

Sadly despite the U.K. being much farther north our winters are too mild due to the stupid ocean. A quote I liked is that we have vineyards at the same latitude that Canada has polar bears.

I would trade a few months of being able to ride for proper winter weather and snow. And polar bears. It is not like people buy English wine anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
congrats on your new bike, I was also looking into buying a 2020 but ended up buying a 2017 from a local resident who wanted to get rid of it. to start I installed a brake light modulator ( plug and play) I feel like I can barely be seen with that small break tail light, I also ordered an extra led light to add up to the tail light but I haven't installed it yet. the bike came with a knock off slip, sound is not bad. I installed a cheaper fender eliminator, it doesnt look cheap at all and improved the look of the bike, I re-used all the factory lights. I think my next and probably last install is a gear indicator, I'm always trying to switch to 7 gear lol!!

brake modulator

fender eliminator

·
Registered
82 Posts
If your CBR500R is spanking brand new, I would not touch it for the time being. I mean, get to know how it is in stock form, to better appreciate how it may change with the mods your will make down the road.
I would spend the money first is nice and good gear for yourself while on the bike, like a good helmet, globes and so on.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Welcome.

Sadly despite the U.K. being much farther north our winters are too mild due to the stupid ocean. A quote I liked is that we have vineyards at the same latitude that Canada has polar bears.

I would trade a few months of being able to ride for proper winter weather and snow. And polar bears. It is not like people buy English wine anyway.
LOL. Speaking as a Canadian -- and only for myself -- I'd not make that trade. Winter sucks. Spring and summer are usually really pleasant here and I'd not want to try that for the leaden skies, drizzle and wet roads that seem to characterize a lot of UK days but I'd be okay with warmer, milder winters. (And I'm relatively spoiled in southern-Ontario; Prairie winters are brutal...)

Living in a place like southern California would be nice: You can drive up into the mountains for winter activities and then down to the valley for two-wheel weather in the same day. Too bad it's fully of weirdos and on-fire for 8 months of the year.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wish I could take more than one-day trips here in Northern California but we are at lock-down for not doing unnecessary travel this month, and I think January, too. Otherwise yes, when it's winter you drive southwards and when it's spring/summer/autumn northwards and towards Sierras. And avoid the hot spots.

PS: I could do a one-day longer trip to Napa and similar places...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts