Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to drop my bike right at a busy intersection when it stalled while I was leaning slightly and pulling out. I caught with leg, but the weight of the lean was too much for my leg to correct (thank you God for damning me with my short inseam :crying:). It was a slow motion light drop, but it still managed to snap my brake lever off as if it was cheap plastic! All I had left was a little knub to pull on to use my front brake. Is it normal for metal levers to snap so easily? I expected it to bend maybe, but not break off so cleanly. My exhaust shield also got dimpled and scratched a bit. So irritating since the bike has all of 70 miles on it!

Anyway, where is the best place to get the OEM lever and is it easy to switch out, basically the one nut right by the lever adjustment wheel?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Bad luck. I’ve nearly dropped my bike twice at low speed. At 602” I managed to haul it back upright without it hitting the ground. But it was a struggle.

How about a nice set of ebay shorty adjustable levers? One of the best mods I’ve done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: aeon-lakes

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad luck. I’ve nearly dropped my bike twice at low speed. At 602” I managed to haul it back upright without it hitting the ground. But it was a struggle.

How about a nice set of ebay shorty adjustable levers? One of the best mods I’ve done.

I did look there and saw inexpensive levers, but the description made it sound like they don’t just bolt up and require modification. Is this true? What was involved installing your lever? The cheapest OEM lever I’ve found was $64!! So crazy when the clutch lever is only $16.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Mine are very similar to Rise’s levers except mine are titanium coloured. I’ve had them 3 years and they are as good as new. No modification required and feel much better than the stock ones.

Reactions: carfreak09

·
Registered
885 Posts
Many videos on Youtube how to instal, but as you’re taking off the old lever you’ll just reverse the process. It’s easy. 5 min job tops. The clutch is a bit harder but still easy.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I managed to drop my bike right at a busy intersection when it stalled while I was leaning slightly and pulling out. I caught with leg, but the weight of the lean was too much for my leg to correct (thank you God for damning me with my short inseam :crying:).

You basically recounted my incident from about a year ago. My brake lever didn't break, but it did bend. I replaced it with a Vortex shorty lever (pictured), along with a new crankcase cover (damaged cover pictured). By some miracle, my fairing was untouched.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You basically recounted my incident from about a year ago. My brake lever didn't break, but it did bend. I replaced it with a Vortex shorty lever (pictured), along with a new crankcase cover (damaged cover pictured). By some miracle, my fairing was untouched.
Thanks for telling me your story. Now I dont feel so stupid. I was extremely lucky that there was no body/engine/front fender damage. I’m sure I looked completely ridiculous using all the strength I had to push up the bike by the seat, then lean over the seat to put the kickstand down so I could allow the bike to settle on that. It’s more difficult for me to throw my left leg over and with the downward slope of the road to the right, I was afraid I’d fall right back down with the bike. I just hope I get more used to the top heaviness and that I didn’t make a mistake getting this type of bike. I’m beginning to wonder if I should have bought the CTX700 DCT. It’s heavier but the lower flat seat gave me much better command of the bike.

I went ahead and ordered some short levers off of Amazon that are blue like the bike. So thanks for all the insight guys!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks for telling me your story. Now I dont feel so stupid.
When it comes to dropping bikes, there are two types of riders: those who have, and those who will.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't worry so much about dropping it everyone does at some point, you will get used to the weight and how it handles. I remember i almost dropped it at an intersection same scenario like you except mine was the cbr250r much lighter yet it felt so heavy at the time XD tho i did not drop it there i did in my garage while trying to put the rear stand on, man did i feel stupid lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aftermarket ones for sure

When it comes to dropping bikes, there are two types of riders: those who have, and those who will.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I can second that. I did the EXACT same thing when my bike had about 50 or so miles on it. Scratched my right side mirror, bar end and exhaust. The piece of the lever that broke off actually hit my ring finger and left a nasty welt through my gloves that I realized as I was riding home and the adrenaline was wearing off. Luckily I think my exhaust saved my right fairing and I was planning on getting a new exhaust anyways. But yeah, I would do what some of the other guys are saying. Find some cheap ones on Amazon or Ebay. I think I got these ones for $25(sorry.. fairly new on here so I guess I can't post links but search on amazon):
Moto-777 Pro CNC Clutch Brake Levers for Honda CBR250R 2011-2013 CBR300R/CB300F/FA 2014-2017 CBR500R/CB500F/X 2013-2018 GROM / MSX125 2014-2018
Install is super easy. May take a little finagling with the clutch cable if you want to modify where the friction zone is. I would get it set so that it's where you like it with the adjustment set to the middle setting. As you ride the bike more, you may play around with the adjustments and find you like it slightly different and the adjustable levers make it so you don't have to bust out any tools. I also felt like the stock levers looked kinda lame and weren't symmetrical.

If you like shorty levers where you're two fingering it, go for those. But if you look at the longer ones, a lot of them actually have a notch to weaken the metal so that if you do ever drop it, it'll break far enough out to leave most of the lever still intact so you can still ride home on it. I got the orange ones to match my black/orange CBR500R.

Of all the parts that I'd say are okay to go for some cheap aftermarket stuff, the levers would be it. They basically just pull the cable so it's kind of hard to mess that up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh yeah, I also got in the habit of leaving my feet an inch or two off the ground when starting from a dead stop for a second (kinda like you see drag racers do) before moving them up to the pegs. And also for right turns at intersections, I try to angle the bike slightly before stopping so the wheel isn't at such a sharp angle. I think that's what did it.. Stall jerked the bike and, since the wheel was turned, it threw the bike to that side. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A mate dropped his near new bike the day he got it in front of his mate & all their family. He pulled up not realising his shoelace had wrapped around the footpeg.
I came real close when I didn't realise the ground dropped away at the end of the driveway & it was further than I thought. Luckily a mate was there to help or I was over. Happens to the best of us.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am with Karl Hungus on this point too. I came close once in a parking lot. The classic move of front wheel turned & front brake applied at slow speed. Never again! Did not drop it, but came close. I did manage to drop it once when putting it up on the center stand in the wet. My foot slipped off the stand lever & down she went on the throttle side. Amazing enough no damage except a few scratches on the bar end weight. I felt really lucky. As to levers, mine are stock & I like it like that. Never felt any need to change them out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up with “Ride On” blue levers and installed them on the bike yesterday. The clutch was super easy, especially after seeing on youtube that you can use a socket to hold the clutch open so you have enough free play in the cable. The brake lever gave me some problems as the throttle cables were in the way. Youtube once again came to the rescue and informed me I should have loosened the master cylinder bolt on the handle bar to rotate the whole unit forward to give better access to the lever bolt. After I figured that out, it was easy. You guys were right, much better feeling levers and the clutch is closer for my small hand so it’s easier to operate. They also look great on my blue bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ended up with “Ride On” blue levers and installed them on the bike yesterday. The clutch was super easy, especially after seeing on youtube that you can use a socket to hold the clutch open so you have enough free play in the cable. The brake lever gave me some problems as the throttle cables were in the way. Youtube once again came to the rescue and informed me I should have loosened the master cylinder bolt on the handle bar to rotate the whole unit forward to give better access to the lever bolt. After I figured that out, it was easy. You guys were right, much better feeling levers and the clutch is closer for my small hand so it’s easier to operate. They also look great on my blue bike.

I just put on the ride it silver levers. They match my 2016 pretty well. I took the first ride with them today. I have the clutch on 2 and love it. Not sure whether I'll leave it on 1 or 2. I wish it didnt have so much free play. But what do you expect for 37 dollars. Lol It's really not bad though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Day 2 with my bike i did something similar. I stopped at a stop sign and popped the bike into neutral. I went to adjust my helmet with my left hand down she went on the throttle side. I had the balls of both feet on the ground, and I can deadlift nearly twice the weight of this bike, but I simply had no chance saving it despite every effort. I think the fact that I was wearing converse shoes and was on slightly uneven ground contributed to the situation. Just like yours, I snapped the break lever and scuffed the exhaust (although you can't even notice unless you get your face 6 inches away. For the next week I was really worried that it could happen again, but wearing boots and muscle memory has caused me to correct even the most minor shifts to keep the bike level.

I'm sure you've had the same experience, I think that the balance of the bike is like walking; this type of thing almost becomes a non-issue when your balance becomes second nature. I had to use a metal glue, tons of sanding, and patience to get a solid lever while waiting for my new levers to come in the mail. These cheap levers cost $60 for the OEM ones, that's just crazy to me for that kind of quality.

Posting this because no one saw me do this (luckily), and lots of really experienced riders on here are giving honest and humble feedback. Being a new rider I appreciate that a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did this just this morning in the work car park. Slow turn, looking behind me to line up with a gap in other bikes to go back into, hit the front brake - d'oh!

Scrape on Mirror, exhaust and end of handle bars - nothing major but bloody annoying.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems like you already got it fixed but was going to say Pazzo Racing Levers [Long, Titanium/Black (F-25/H-250)] are a bit pricey but very nice and go well with the bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for telling me your story. Now I dont feel so stupid. I was extremely lucky that there was no body/engine/front fender damage. I’m sure I looked completely ridiculous using all the strength I had to push up the bike by the seat, then lean over the seat to put the kickstand down so I could allow the bike to settle on that. It’s more difficult for me to throw my left leg over and with the downward slope of the road to the right, I was afraid I’d fall right back down with the bike. I just hope I get more used to the top heaviness and that I didn’t make a mistake getting this type of bike. I’m beginning to wonder if I should have bought the CTX700 DCT. It’s heavier but the lower flat seat gave me much better command of the bike.

I went ahead and ordered some short levers off of Amazon that are blue like the bike. So thanks for all the insight guys!
Get a lowering linkage. ~$60 can lower the bike quite a bit with that. It replaces the dog-bone link that goes from the frame to the bottom of the triangle linkage that connects the rear shock and is adjustable.

Lowered my 2018 CB500X over 2" and could've gone lower. I also dropped the bike on the forks about an inch and a half, lowering the front of the bike as well. Seat sits at around 29" without me on it.

JD

1 - 20 of 29 Posts