Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some on this forum are awaiting the arrival of their new 500. For some this is their first bike and for others it will be a new addition to their current stable. Since most of us have yet to receive our bikes and may be grounded until they arrive there is limited topics to chat about i.e handling, mpg, trip reports and so on. In the meantime lets start a discussion on helmets. We either have one or will be purchasing one.

Some info to chat about can be price points, sizing, expiration dates, branding, safety codes etc.

Lets chat about this equipment and in the meantime we will get to know each other and hopefully help out new riders on choosing a high quality lid. Also we can post pics of our helmets if you wish.

Reactions: 3Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
The fitting videos and helmet discussions at Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gear, Helmets & Accessories - RevZilla
are pretty helpful for sizing _and_ shape.

I like white helmets for their visibility and lower heat absorption. Plus, I live where the motorcycle police wear white helmets, so the drivers tend to notice you.

You don't have to spend a bunch on a helmet, but it should be DOT approved.

I'm looking at a white one of these when I have to replace my current modular helmet:

Vemar Jiano Modular Solid Helmet - RevZilla

A word of warning, modular helmets are noisier than standard full-face helmets. I always wear ear plugs with the modular and MX helmets.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good topic, i've always figured when it comes to helmets, like tyres, you buy the most expensive you can afford.

Last helmet i bought was an RJays (aussie brand) and cost about $130, but i only planned on using it in my car at the local drag strip because it's a requirement there. Since i've been getting back into the bikes, i'm using it at the moment, but wondering whether i splurge an get a big dollar Shoei or Arai ($500-$1000 here).

It got me thinking recently.. with advancements in manufacturing processes there are a lot more really good helmets on the cheaper side of things that seem to have very similar features as the expensive units, but the main difference seemed to be weight.

Has anyone had any experience with newer "cost effective" helmets vs their expensive big brothers? Does a Shoei or Arai really have another $700 worth of life saving built into it? Or is it all just about the weight savings or pissing contest over who's got the more expensive helmet?

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I really think that HJC helmets often have the most bang for the buck. It is just that they are designed for a fairly round head shape, while my head is definitely oval shaped.

AGV and AFX helmets offer moderate and cheap prices in DOT/ECE approved helmets that are a bit less round shaped.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Seeing as the 10 minutes to edit expired while I was searching for a "testing" photo, I'll just post again showing the result from getting too frisky on a cruiser back in 2006. The 3/4 HJC helmet performed as hoped, but it sure convinced me that full face helmets are the way to go, even for modest street riding situations.

The 2006 crash was rider error, being distracted by wildlife. I missed a 25 mph corner sign, started into the corner at 65 mph, and failed to lean enough to keep it on the pavement; the front wheel went onto the gravel shoulder and an instant low side crash occurred. A couple of fractured ribs and a fractured scapula were the other damages.

Hopefully, this may offer insight for those who might be resisting a full-face design.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first few helmets were Icons but always prefered the Shoei. Finally I sprung for the xtra $$ and bought the 1100 model. Both comfy and light.

Attachments

Reactions: BrickK

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Seeing as the 10 minutes to edit expired while I was searching for a "testing" photo, I'll just post again showing the result from getting too frisky on a cruiser back in 2006. The 3/4 HJC helmet performed as hoped, but it sure convinced me that full face helmets are the way to go, even for modest street riding situations.

The 2006 crash was rider error, being distracted by wildlife. I missed a 25 mph corner sign, started into the corner at 65 mph, and failed to lean enough to keep it on the pavement; the front wheel went onto the gravel shoulder and an instant low side crash occurred. A couple of fractured ribs and a fractured scapula were the other damages.

Hopefully, this may offer insight for those who might be resisting a full-face design.
I guess you lucky your hear to tell the story. Glad your okay.

What do you guys think of my helmet?

Before I got it, I never knew the helmet holds so much history until and older gentlemen had told me. The helmet is based off of U.S. military air assault squadron planes from a group called The flying tigers. During WWII they went in to china to help fight off the japanese fighter planes. With their assistance China remain what it was but only one soldier from the group had made it back alive. Crazy right!?

Here is the group

Here is the planes

This is a better pic to show the details

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool history and helmet. How do you find the go-pro on the chin piece on the helmet? I wonder if it wld be heavy. I have a go-pro but mount it on my bike or wear the chest harness

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same Flying Tiger helmet, I get tons of compliments about it lol. Plus I have a Bell Arrow helmet for my gf.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great discussion about helmets. I decided it was time for a new helmet so I tried on everything I could find at the recent Edmonton Motorcycle show. I decided the features had to include full face, lightweight and built in retractable sun visor. I tried HJC, Scorpion and a bunch of chinese brands I had never heard of but the winner by a long shot was the Shoei GT-AIR. It was also the most expensive at $669.00 . The quality of the liner, the sunscreen, the lightness and the fit were far superior to the others. IMHO. One of the local dealers had a 15% off sale the week after the bike show so I ordered one. I did not care for any of the graphic models so I went for visibility and ordered the white one. It is supposed to be in around the end of January. Looking forward to spring.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
My first few helmets were Icons but always prefered the Shoei. Finally I sprung for the xtra $$ and bought the 1100 model. Both comfy and light.
Originally I wanted a Shoei 1100 but my head shape was not suitable for so i had to look elsewhere and found The Bell Vortex which fits like glove.

Whats that device thats stuck on the left side of your helmet there?:eek:

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
How sturdy would a go pro be on a motorcycle helmet like this...

it'd suck to have really shaky video.
Surprising the video is not shaky at all due to the fact that the helmet fits snug.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Originally I wanted a Shoei 1100 but my head shape was not suitable for so i had to look elsewhere and found The Bell Vortex which fits like glove.

Whats that device thats stuck on the left side of your helmet there?:eek:
That's my Sena Bluetooth. Pairs with my iPhone so I can make/answers calls, listen to downloaded music and the device also pairs up to 5 other riders to allow communication. Love it!! Have enjoyed this for 3 yrs now and wldnt ride without it. I rarely use the phone but enjoy the music and communication with a fellow rider.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Hey Jsonders, Keep your eyes on the road brother! I've made the same mistake as my attention was distract by great scenery. Luckily it was just a lowside and I only suffered from a broken collar bone and minor shoulder injuries. I guess we all learn from our mistakes and live to tell. Veterans now we are ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I guess you lucky your hear to tell the story. Glad your okay.

What do you guys think of my helmet?

Before I got it, I never knew the helmet holds so much history until and older gentlemen had told me. The helmet is based off of U.S. military air assault squadron planes from a group called The flying tigers. During WWII they went in to china to help fight off the japanese fighter planes. With their assistance China remain what it was but only one soldier from the group had made it back alive. Crazy right!?

Here is the group

Here is the planes

This is a better pic to show the details
Now thats what I call a helmet. I remember when these guys were announced on the radio going in to China. I loved these planes and the unique design. Great to see how you enjoy and appreciate the heritage behind the helmet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
<-- See my avatar? That's what I wear, a Shoei RF-1100 in Axis Yellow.

The first day I rode with it on I was amazed how many caggers finally saw me on the road. They actually stopped pulling out in front of me. :eek:

I agree with jsonder that full-face is the only way to go. When I laid my SS750 down my lid kept the pavement from cracking the left side of my skull open. My left collarbone was not so fortunate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are a budget conscious individual (such as myself) Scorpion helmets can't be beat. Everyone I have loaned it to prefers my $100 EXO-700 to what they are riding with (normally something 2 to 4 times more expensive). I don't think you can really do any better until you get to the $800+ carbon fiber helmets. This is of course assuming the helmet fits comfortably.
Not every helmet works for every head so try a few on before you buy, if you can.

image courtasey of wristtwisters.com

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Unfortunately for me the only helmets that fit me are the Arai RXQ. What other helmet brands are good for round heads?

1 - 20 of 232 Posts