Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
For my first motorcycle I picked up a 2014 CB500F off Craigslist with 8000 miles on it.
The only service that I know was done to the bike was an oil and filter change less than 1000 miles ago.
I want to get the bike looked at by a local dealer since I am not ready to start performing maintenance myself.
I was wondering what I should ask them to look for, or if I even need to bring the bike in at all right now.
I've ridden about 100 miles so far and everything has felt really great, although being my first bike I'm not exactly sure what to be watching for.
Thank you friends.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Great. Welcome to the forum and glad you got a good bike.

Step 1: Read the owners manual
step 2: read the service schedule closely. Probably not much to do, but you can do:

Clean and lube of the chain.
Check the chain slack.
Check the air pressure in the tires.

Check the wear on the tires.
Check the engine oil level.

If you feel unsure about any of these routine tasks, ask questions here (Use the search first).
Or talk to your local dealer.

Ride safely

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you my friend. That's kind of what I was hoping for, just stick to the service manual.
I guess I was worried that something might need to be looked at that I'm not aware of, but now that I think about it it's not like they're gonna tear down the engine just to see how it looks.

I have no problem addressing the things you listed myself. Sounds like I need to grab a rear wheel stand and some chain maintenance tools soon.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Great advice from Tex.

I’d also check coolant level (some issues with leaks). Check brake fluid level. Check battery connections. Ensure sufficient tools are under the seat in case you need do something on the roadside.

Go over all the nuts and bolts you can to ensure not lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
485 Posts
If the oil & filter were changed less than 1000 miles ago then you are fine. I would NOT follow the manuals advice on oil change intervals. I change oil & filter every 4000 miles at minimum. Good idea to check coolant level. Since you have an F model it is easy to mount a centerstand. There is an OEM one, which I have on my F & also S-W motech sells one as well. The centerstand is more convenient than a track stand as you can use it when traveling. Makes dealing with the chain much easier. Enjoy the bike, it is a great motorcycle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You've been given good advice. Don't ignore anything in the service schedule. Schedule of oil & filter changes are each much longer than I'm comfortable with. Oil changes super easy on my R, no bodywork removal. Enjoy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you take it to Honda. "Go over all the nuts and bolts you can to ensure not lose." .Are checked as part of the service too. In UK mind.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just an FYI.. No matter what the former owner says, I would STILL do an oil and filter change. Be sure to thoroughly clean the chain and the relube and then re-adjust for slack.

I would never trust what they SAY they did!

I've got just 6K miles on mine, which I purchased new at dealer, and those two are about the only couple of things I have had to do. Also check and fill coolant. If things are great, I would forego the dealer service - way too expensive and almost surely not needed.

Previous commentor is correct, do things earlier than suggested - these normal maintenance items are cheap to perform and easy! On the chain I use the item called a "Grease Ninja" (https://www.greaseninja.com/) which is only $15 along with Motul Street Bike chain oil. Others have their favorites for oils or chain wax, but Motul is mine and the Ninja fits the can perfectly. If you use it and the Motul, the oil will penetrate, and then let the bike set for some time (I leave mine for overnight) to let the chain oil thicken so it won't fly off.

Reactions: papasmurf6768

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. Good for peace of mind.
I did the chain this weekend, was kind of relaxing.
The oil definitely looks pretty clean through the window so I'm in no hurry to change it but will as soon as I find the time/cash.
Happy riding.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just an FYI.. No matter what the former owner says, I would STILL do an oil and filter change. Be sure to thoroughly clean the chain and the relube and then re-adjust for slack.

I would never trust what they SAY they did!

I agree with this. Change the oil and filter no matter what the previous owner says. You don't know if he's telling the truth, and you don't know what kind of oil they used, you don't know how long the filter's been on the bike. It doesn't cost that much and it's easy to do. If you don't know how to do it yourself, search youtube for videos. It's easy. Having a dealership go over the bike is a possibility, but I wouldn't take it to a dealership for an oil change.

Remember: Use motorcycle oil....do NOT use automobile oil. They are NOT the same. (just buy the approved Honda motorcycle oil) The oils are different because a motorcycle uses the oil for the transmission (as well as the rest of the engine). Automobile oil isn't used in the transmission. (There's a separate fluid for that) So the motorcycle oil is lubing two things. and it needs to be slightly different because it is also protecting the transmission.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm a maintenance freak and would treat it as never had having any service done. I do this with all the bikes I buy. Heck, working on bikes is half the fun for me.

Change oil, filter
Bleed Brakes
Change coolant
If the exhaust has been changed or you suspect the bike has been ridden hard, check the valves.
Check/oil the chain
re-torque major fasteners
check the brake pads
clutch play etc

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have heard through other sources (and Pennzoil/Shell themselves) the the newest hottest oil choice is Pennzoil Platinum for autos only, but the same formula but made to work well in wet clutch systems is Shell Rotella T6. Pure synthetic, but not made from an oil based stock, but from natural gas stock, much purer, more synthetic and much better able to stand up to heat. Also cheaper than the oils designated for motorcycles like Lucas and others.

Reactions: papasmurf6768

·
Registered
9 Posts
You've been given good advice. Don't ignore anything in the service schedule. Schedule of oil & filter changes are each much longer than I'm comfortable with. Oil changes super easy on my R, no bodywork removal. Enjoy!
Any way you could recommend what oil to use to change my oil on my 2014 500r, and I bought the bike with no service records used of course ,thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
I agree with this. Change the oil and filter no matter what the previous owner says. You don't know if he's telling the truth, and you don't know what kind of oil they used, you don't know how long the filter's been on the bike. It doesn't cost that much and it's easy to do. If you don't know how to do it yourself, search youtube for videos. It's easy. Having a dealership go over the bike is a possibility, but I wouldn't take it to a dealership for an oil change.

Remember: Use motorcycle oil....do NOT use automobile oil. They are NOT the same. (just buy the approved Honda motorcycle oil) The oils are different because a motorcycle uses the oil for the transmission (as well as the rest of the engine). Automobile oil isn't used in the transmission. (There's a separate fluid for that) So the motorcycle oil is lubing two things. and it needs to be slightly different because it is also protecting the transmission.
I use Shell Rotella T6 which is nearly the same as Pennzoil Platinum but without the stiff that harms wet clutch. It is pure synthetic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts