Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member here:D

Been scouting the web for a topic like this, but havent found one!

Short story long:

Bought a brand new BMW G310R @ Black Friday for aproximatly 4100 dollars. I have not taken delivery on the bike yet as i live in Norway so the season starts and end a random date i july i guess :D..

I saw the same store has a CB500F now. I asked them i could trade in the BMW and they said its okey if i pit 3.000 dolars in between.

The price i got on the BMW was extremly good, taking the tax into consideration. Its proberly the best deal you could ever dream of. (42.000 NOK/SEK if there are any scandinavians here).

The deal I will get on the Honda is somewhat good! Its a 2019 so there was room for some slack and it had 370km on the clock as a demobike.. a fair discount but nothing to write home about.

Objectivly speaking (on a Honda forum), is the price difference worth it?

I have a Yamaha R6 wich is my main bike, but its so clumsy at city street.
I work offshore so i dont have a job to get to. That being said, i sold my car so motorcycle is my only means of transportation except for trains etc.

Previosly i tried the CB650F and fell completly in love with it. So angile and responsive. I will proberly do some touring with the bike and its therfore i think the g310r will lack the torque for that.

What do you guys think? Its a long term investment and money is not a consern, though i hate throwing money out of the window if the benefit dont justify it.

My arguments for the BMW:
Insane deal
It will get me from A-B
It will most likely be a means for small comuting

Arguments against the BMW:
Exspect it to be to slow for the highway
Vibrations seems to be an issue
Looks ugly
Looks cheap
Harder to find dealer
Eurotrip is more or less impossible
My arguments for the CB500f:

It looks like a cb650f wich is the most beautuful thing ever created

Has more power than the bmw

Easier to find a honda dealer

Can be used for eurotrip

Arguments against the Honda

The deal is significally worse

The money could be used to maintain the bmw for a number of years instead.

I travel alot abroad during my free periods of so it will only be in use for maybe 60-70 days a year

Hope for some objective answers and would be happy if someone took the time to watch a g310r review for comparison
If i get convinced then you have new member on the forum:)

Ive owned a Integra Type R and drove s shitty honda through vietnam while backpacking some years ago so im partly a member of the club alleready:D

Safe speed, and god bless you through the corona-period we are in

·
Registered
95 Posts
Arguments against the BMW:
Exspect it to be to slow for the highway
Vibrations seems to be an issue
Looks ugly
Looks cheap
Harder to find dealer
Eurotrip is more or less impossible
Those reasons are all it would take for me to purchase the Honda.
Only you can decide if it's worth the money.

Test ride them both, then decide.

I was in the market for a smaller, lighter bike when the BMW310R came out (was a former BMW rider).
Went to the dealer and looked...was not impressed...ended up buying a left over Honda 2016 500F.

jb

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick answer!
I have tried s g310r, but not at top speed or anything near it. It felt angile, but the lack of torque and the soft suspension gave me bit of a sour feeling..

Im offshore now and the dealer want an answer asap, wich means testriding is not possible.

Does anyone know how the cb500 compares to the cb650? Is it much softer? I recon the accelartion of the cb500 is more then good enough. Thats atleast the impression youtube gives me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
BMW G310R made in China. CB500F made in Thailand, the choice is yours Shen. I had a Yam mt03 made in Indonesia and traded it for a CB500F, looked at the G310R and not impressed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would go with the CB500F if only for the extra performance. My CBR500R is adequate performance wise. I was originally looking for a CB500X but found the R for a great deal. I had cross shopped the 310 and Versys X-300 and determined that the 310 was going to be too slow and the Versys would be a bit underpowered for 2 up riding at 80 MPH. If you plan to tour, I would go with a larger displacement bike if money allows.

Reactions: Jb44

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2x CB500FA, CBR500R and CB650F

CB650F is in my opinion best bike from listed above.
1st - 4 cylinder
2nd - 100ps
3rd - running much softer in low rpms then 2 cylinder engine

·
Registered
290 Posts
So that how they trick people into buying new bikes instead of waiting for a first owner to go through the initial teething problems! But why do we not get a free Thai takeaway?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You should factor in the local dealer(s). I presume that the dealer where you are looking is the dealership for both BMW & Honda ? If not, then evaluate the dealership that you would be taking the bike to after you buy.

My bet is for the CB500F. It is a very good bike, sufficient power, handles well and will cost less to maintain.
Did I mention the vast number of add-on parts and gadgets!

Ride safely

·
Registered
90 Posts
You should factor in the local dealer(s). I presume that the dealer where you are looking is the dealership for both BMW & Honda ? If not, then evaluate the dealership that you would be taking the bike to after you buy.

My bet is for the CB500F. It is a very good bike, sufficient power, handles well and will cost less to maintain.
Did I mention the vast number of add-on parts and gadgets!

Ride safely
BMW dealers near me, wasn't even interested in customers when I went to look at the G310, got ignored so walked out. I used a multi dealer one time that sold everything from KTM's, Yams, Suzuki and Kwaka,s. only interested in moving metal - Never again. So I went to a Dedicated Honda Bike dealer about 25miles away and always found the sales, service and after sales excellent. They got my hard earned money for my new cb500f and a repeat customer in the future.
That's my penny (cent) worth.

·
Registered
90 Posts
BMW dealers near me, wasn't even interested in customers when I went to look at the G310, got ignored so walked out. I used a multi dealer one time that sold everything from KTM's, Yams, Suzuki and Kwaka,s. only interested in moving metal - Never again. So I went to a Dedicated Honda Bike dealer about 25miles away and always found the sales, service and after sales excellent. They got my hard earned money for my new cb500f and a repeat customer in the future.
That's my penny (cent) worth.
Also I have loads of farkles as you say that side of the pond. Centre Stand, Fender extender, Rear hugger, Puig screen, Givi rear rack and top box. Tom Tom Rider sat nav and a Bandit camera. Puig hand guards to name a few.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What do you guys think?
I think the best bike is the bike YOU HAVE, whatever it is.

Stop worring about specs and ****, and ride on. It's no the machine which will bring you joy, but the journey it takes you on.

Tha G310R is top notch for going around. DO NOT LET ANYONE tell you otherwise.

I have a CB500F and I have the most fun when I get to use my old Suzuki GN125 at my parents place in the middle of the country side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts