Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just checking if there would be an issue with install smaller fork stanchions?
I was thinking about getting them straightened, but fear they might be to damaged.
so I have found a second hand pair of a 1994 cbr600

2014 CBR500R OEM : 41mm x 647mm
1994 CBR600 OEM : 41mm x 633mm

I recently wrecked the forks and due to covid and mainly my remote location(St Helena Island, South Atlantic Ocean) I cant get my new fork stachions until June even though I ordered them yesterday.

cheers for any help.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Straightening is not 100% and may lead to fork seal leak later. Temporary option?

Shorter fork stanchions option will lower the front end, reduce the fork travel (unless internal plastic spacer is shorten to match). Note: The bottom cowl (already low) will go lower (no more going up down kerbs). Also for 500R (2013-15), there is only ~20mm clearance between the headlights and mudguard (when forks are fully compressed) but it should be ok, still within clearance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Eds,
Yes a temporary solution, until my new stanchions get here.

Lower fairings and mudguard got damaged when I fell off.

Personally, would you straighten or install shorter stancions? - I've only been riding this style of bike for a year, so im still a novice

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well you can if the replacement part fits but;
"
Drawbacks: Lowering the front end in relation to the rear changes how the bike handles. Manufacturers set fork height for neutral handling. By lowering the front end, you are manipulating the bike’s rake and trail settings. Without getting too technical, this will make your bike quicker turning at the expense of reducing high-speed stability. If you stay conservative, you may not notice any handling differences. Go overboard and it can start to upset the balance of the bike, or worse, the front tire can hit the fender over big bumps (or with a low fender the fender hits the lower triple clamp), which can cause you to crash. To check your front wheel clearance, you can use tie-down straps to compress the front suspension until it bottoms out." Consider These 5 Tips Before You Lower a Motorcycle
My personal opinion I might be iffy about it. While my personal opinion is I like a bike that digs the front end a bit for cornering too much may wreck my front tire faster and of course have other problems.. This bike digs well at least mine does, it's a choice and maybe you don't ride your bike very hard to the point that there will ever be a problem, so it's really up to you.
If you do, I would love to hear about it.
cheers

·
Registered
157 Posts
As stated, lowering the front end, quickens up the steering, so the bike might feel a little unstable, however according to your measurements the forks are only 14mm shorter, so the handling is probably going to be okay (but a little nervous), the real issue is as stated above, when you are breaking heavily, you may find the front mudguard hitting the front fairing/headlight area, or the exhaust and front fairing might clip the road, again its only a difference of 14mm so you are probably fine. If your only option at this time is to either straighten your old forks or use the CBR600 forks, I would go for the 600 forks and just try to not ride too aggressively. Once you have the new 500 forks you can re-sell the 600 forks so you probably won't have lost much money on the deal.. Before doing this make sure the 500 wheel axle and brake calipers do fit on the 600 forks or you will have a load more expense trying to make/buy adapters.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Question here. I'll preface this with.. I don't use my bikes to race. I just plod along and hope I can stay vertical. I've always been leery of changing any factory set-ups.. including OEM tire sizes.. So, how much variation in OEM tire sizes can be done without up-setting the bike's "balance" you folks are talking about here? Or am I comparing apples to oranges?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts