Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Qwest and RF-1200 because I heard they are some of the most quiet helmets on the market. I'm pretty disappointed by the noise level.

First the Qwest. It's a great snug fit for me. A little hard to put on and take off. It feels like my ears are going to get ripped of every time I take it off. The noise level is fairly loud in the lid with wind noises picking up at around 40mph. At 70mph with Surefire earplugs in, I am still bothered with wind noise.
Same thing happened with the large RF-1200 I just picked up today. It still fits snug, not as much as the medium Qwest, but it won't rip my ears off. I rode 25 miles to work with Shure earphones in, and the wind noise was loud enough so that it interferes with the music.

I'm comparing these two to my Icon Alliance SSR made in 2007. It's a hand-me-down but I love it. It's the most quiet helmet I have so far out of the five I have ridden in. The technology and safety ratings for the Shoeis are far superior, but the noise factor has been a let down.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I was a little surprised when I got my RF-1200 that it was not quieter but then I don't have anything to compare it to either since my last moto helmet was 30 years ago.

It may be partly due to the bike and riding position...where and how the wind hits the helmet. Not sure. But I always wear ear plugs, and have gotten used to it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My first helmet was an LS2 that I bought at the Honda dealer when I bought my bike. I had no idea how loud it was until I got my Shoei RF1200. For me, the RF1200 is very quiet. I do not use ear plugs. Shoei had a booth at the motorcycle show. Their reps spent a lot of time with me to get a correct fit. I bought the helmet from one of their dealers that was selling on the show floor. It may be that the Shoei just isn't a good fit for you. Try an Arai or HJC.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I just bought a Qwest and RF-1200 because I heard they are some of the most quiet helmets on the market. I'm pretty disappointed by the noise level.

First the Qwest. It's a great snug fit for me. A little hard to put on and take off. It feels like my ears are going to get ripped of every time I take it off. The noise level is fairly loud in the lid with wind noises picking up at around 40mph. At 70mph with Surefire earplugs in, I am still bothered with wind noise.
Same thing happened with the large RF-1200 I just picked up today. It still fits snug, not as much as the medium Qwest, but it won't rip my ears off. I rode 25 miles to work with Shure earphones in, and the wind noise was loud enough so that it interferes with the music.

I'm comparing these two to my Icon Alliance SSR made in 2007. It's a hand-me-down but I love it. It's the most quiet helmet I have so far out of the five I have ridden in. The technology and safety ratings for the Shoeis are far superior, but the noise factor has been a let down.
I will assume you know about proper helmet sizing, so I won't comment on that here but suffice it to say that if a helmet is tending to rip off your ears every time you put it on and take it off while you hook your thumbs inb the rim and pull the sides out, then the helmet is a bad fit. No amount of cushion compression will help that.

I wear a modular helmet because I find putting the helmet on and pulling it off to be a pain in the ears! (Pun intended)

Wind noise in the helmet comes principally from two main sources - through the vents (small amount of noise) and through the gap between he neck and the neck roll. Ironically, the same neck roll that is tending to scrape off your ears is what helps mitigate the wind rushing up into the helment.

Having your jacket open (for increased ventilation) can also funnel more air up under your neck and into the helmet - made that discovery myself recently. So whatever you can do to mitigate air flowing up under your chin will cut down on the noise. That would include a better windshield arrangement. When I recently rode and adventure bike I was not at all aware of wind noise. Maybe that was because I was just too busy concentrating on controlling 160 hp!

If I were to shell out the coin for a Shoei I would want it to be very quiet, so I quite understand your disappointment. My RPHA Max is pretty quiet and compares favourably with the Schuberth. Still affects my music enjoyment though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I clicked on this thread entirely to help me feel justified about my $98 HJC CS-R2. My 2 cents: good earplugs and a well adjusted windscreen are invaluable. Oh, and I do feel better about my cs-r2 (yeah, no capital letters, hope that helps ? ). Think I'll make do with her another year and then we'll see...

·
Registered
888 Posts
Currently I'm wearing an RF 1200 too. In my experience (40+ years and a dozen helmets) I don't find it any noisier than any on the others. And not necessarily less noisy either.

Wind noise in helmets depends on too many individual variables to make meaningful generalizations. To me there are only two categories, "normal" and "really noisy". I always wear ear plugs so it's rather moot to me anyway.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I recently had to change my helmet also as I had a pressure point I couldn't shake on my Icon Alliance. I ended up with a Speed and Strength. Not a premium brand helmet I know. but I'm not super experienced in riding so I thought I should try it. There is a night and day difference for me on the S/S. So comfortable, if it weren't for the shield and some minor wind noise, I would barely know its there. The Icon was/is a snug fit getting off and on also, but I was told that this helmet is a tight fitting neck to help reduce noise coming up through the neck area. well I call B/S!! My S/S is way easier to take off around the neck region and is no noisier, may even be a bit quieter. Just my 2 cents!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Have you tried tucking behind the windscreen to see if it helps? I have the RF1100 and I agree the wind noise bothers but I play music.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've tested multiple bikes with the RF1200 and the wind noise didn't bother me much (no ear plugs or music), mind you all the bikes had stock exhausts

A few of my friends with Shoei helmets wear ear plugs since they have aftermarket exhausts, nothing out of the ordinary though

I'm happy with my RF1200 :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've tested multiple bikes with the RF1200 and the wind noise didn't bother me much (no ear plugs or music), mind you all the bikes had stock exhausts

A few of my friends with Shoei helmets wear ear plugs since they have aftermarket exhausts, nothing out of the ordinary though

I'm happy with my RF1200 :)
The noise level of the exhaust is almost insignificant compared to the white noise of the wind rushing past. It's about the most destructive noise there is.

Younger riders please take note.... Helmet or no, if you plan on riding for many years and don't wish to get tinnitus START WEARING EAR PLUGS NOW!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just used a dremel to widen the holes for my Uclear speakers on the RF-1200. Using Surefire earplugs with speakers on max makes for a pretty good combination. Music with some wind noise, but I can hear the music pretty well. Tucking doesn't help for me. When I tuck fully, I get more dirty wind hitting my helmet giving it a louder deeper wind noise which is must worse than when regular upright or minor tucking.
I think I'll get the thicker pads next, see how they help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
On the subject of the RF1200 (Shoei NXR in Australia), for a while now I have had an issue with too much air entering my helmet.
I thought the visor was letting the air in. After replacing the visor mechanisms on both sides, the problem is still there.

I now believe that the chin curtain maybe to blame. When new it's elastic seam would hug the underside of my chin, as the helmet is now over a year old, the elastic seam is floppy and not taught anymore. I ride during extremely cold weather and would love any feedback others may have as in Australia a new chin curtain is ridiculously priced.

Has anyone experienced the same issue and how did you resolve it.

Many thanks

·
Registered
888 Posts
On the subject of the RF1200 (Shoei NXR in Australia), for a while now I have had an issue with too much air entering my helmet.
I thought the visor was letting the air in. After replacing the visor mechanisms on both sides, the problem is still there.

I now believe that the chin curtain maybe to blame. When new it's elastic seam would hug the underside of my chin, as the helmet is now over a year old, the elastic seam is floppy and not taught anymore. I ride during extremely cold weather and would love any feedback others may have as in Australia a new chin curtain is ridiculously priced.

Has anyone experienced the same issue and how did you resolve it.

Many thanks
During winter, assuming there's not too much sand strewn everywhere, I continue riding down to about 20 deg F. I've never really cared for chin curtains, but use a Aerostitch neck band which I can get to ride quite high on my neck. It doesn't stop air entering the helmet, but that aspect hasn't bothered me. Just a thought.

If you're really in a pinch and want to pmail me, I'll buy you one here and ship it to you down under.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just bought a matte black Shoei RF-1200 to replace a 2 year old Bell. I wanted something that fit better and was better designed. The Shoei is a huge upgrade in every way. Less noisy for sure, but not by as much as I had hoped. I have the chin curtain on now, but I'll probably take it off since it's too hot to be comfortable. I love the helmet and with earplugs it's pretty much ideal for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Phoebe, that's very kind of you. I will check them out ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm thinking about upgrading to the Shoei RF-1200. Sorry to hear it's not obviously less noisy than other helmets.

A question on color: I have the CBR500r in Cherry Red. The new RF-1200 is sold in two hues of red: Red and Wine (Red). Any idea which one better matches the color of the bike?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts