Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, hope everyone is a having an awesome weekend.

I sold my Ninja 500 2 years ago and it fit me much better than the new Honda 500R. The seat height was about an inch less, and the Honda is 30.9inches.

Has anyone shaved the seat or could you tell me if you think it'd be possible to shave at least an inch off? I'm almost 5'4"!

·
Registered
143 Posts
What is it about the 'fit' that you dont like? There is apparently a lowering kit being made available that will lower the bike as much as 50mm.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I hope they make a kit to raise the seat, as it's a bit low for anyone over 6'.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Lowering kit + Stilettos! :rolleyes:

Reactions: xfox

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha well I've got the shoes covered ;) I actually have the ICON Bombshell boots in black. I don't know if I trust lowering links and I'd hate to have to mess with the suspension for various reasons.

The seat is just too high for me and I was hoping shaving the seat would be adequate. I guess the Ninja also had a narrower seat, not just lower. I'll try sitting on it again but it makes me hesitate to purchase the 500 if I don't feel confident on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue my lady seemed to be having. The dealership is expecting a linkage and fork lowering kit ~$150 total cost to become available for this model very soon. This form of lowering does not affect suspension performance.

Of note; the suspension in the shop at the set preload does not reflect the same height after some exercising of the new suspension. It isn't a huge difference, but once you're riding the bike it seems much lower. I noted the difference in comfort riding it home the first day (I'm 5'6")

I do not expect new seats to be available for quite some time. Aftermarket companies have to have a bike on hand to design them, usually.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm 5'5".....115lbs. I wondered if the bike height/weight ratio might make a difference but do far it hasn't. The bike is narrow e ought with a nice balance it has not created an issue for me. That said, if I was a few inches shorter I can understand the concern weight wise. Any change in surface gradient can present a challenge backing up. That d be my only concern. Not always can we park nose first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any change in surface gradient can present a challenge backing up. That d be my only concern. Not always can we park nose first.
That's a fact. I can't reliably back up at any incline... Just hop off; one hand on the left handlebar, right hand on the left rear grab handle... and roll.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I agree. No matter what I ride I tend to b picky where I park. Any negative incline....I avoid.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
This is to the mods. We need more time to back track to correct spelling errors. I use my I phone and many a time it makes me look like a moron!! Please, for the love, give me more than a few minutes to back track and correct my sp errors!!!!!! GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is to the mods. We need more time to back track to correct spelling errors. I use my I phone and many a time it makes me look like a moron!! Please, for the love, give me more than a few minutes to back track and correct my sp errors!!!!!! GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!
lol, this seems like a friendly forum, no one will judge here ;)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
@ Riceroket......I hope not lol. Sheesh!!!!!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
this is to the mods. We need more time to back track to correct spelling errors. I use my i phone and many a time it makes me look like a moron!! Please, for the love, give me more than a few minutes to back track and correct my sp errors!!!!!! Gawd!!!!!!!!!!!

+1,000,000

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, hope everyone is a having an awesome weekend.

I sold my Ninja 500 2 years ago and it fit me much better than the new Honda 500R. The seat height was about an inch less, and the Honda is 30.9inches.

Has anyone shaved the seat or could you tell me if you think it'd be possible to shave at least an inch off? I'm almost 5'4"!

Hi there, I just got my CBR500r and had the seat shaved. I am exactly 5 ft tall and weigh 102 lbs... It has made a tremendous difference! Not only did they shave the seat and still leave some seat padding, they were able to narrow it as well. While I am still waiting to actually lower the bike, I can still reach the ground with some cautious repositioning at stops. I live in a very hilly area in San Diego and the roads are a challenge. Comfort wise, I have taken the bike on the freeweay over relatively ling distances and it felt fine. Actually, I find I sit more in the bike so it feels like I have more control. We'll see.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi there, I just got my CBR500r and had the seat shaved. I am exactly 5 ft tall and weigh 102 lbs... It has made a tremendous difference! Not only did they shave the seat and still leave some seat padding, they were able to narrow it as well. While I am still waiting to actually lower the bike, I can still reach the ground with some cautious repositioning at stops. I live in a very hilly area in San Diego and the roads are a challenge. Comfort wise, I have taken the bike on the freeweay over relatively ling distances and it felt fine. Actually, I find I sit more in the bike so it feels like I have more control. We'll see.
Ok, at the risk of sounding like a complete newbie, I am not sure what "shaving the seat" means...lol. I just traded in my CBR250r and I had that lowered for me. The 500 is a tad taller than the original height of the 250!!!! I sat on the 500 at the dealership (and I also own the ICON Bombshell wedge boots in black, which are FRICKEN AMAZING.. AND sexy!)... and I can touch the ground no problem, but I am a bit on my toes, even with the boots on. If I pretend to be at a stop light, and slightly lean the bike to the left and put my right foot up on the back brake, I can make my left supporting foot flat... will this be sufficient? Or would you recommend I lower this bike also, and will lowering it an inch effect the lean on curves or performance in any way? I was very comfortable on the 250 after I lowered it... and I did not find it effected this bike at all.... advice anyone?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, at the risk of sounding like a complete newbie, I am not sure what "shaving the seat" means...lol. I just traded in my CBR250r and I had that lowered for me. The 500 is a tad taller than the original height of the 250!!!! I sat on the 500 at the dealership (and I also own the ICON Bombshell wedge boots in black, which are FRICKEN AMAZING.. AND sexy!)... and I can touch the ground no problem, but I am a bit on my toes, even with the boots on. If I pretend to be at a stop light, and slightly lean the bike to the left and put my right foot up on the back brake, I can make my left supporting foot flat... will this be sufficient? Or would you recommend I lower this bike also, and will lowering it an inch effect the lean on curves or performance in any way? I was very comfortable on the 250 after I lowered it... and I did not find it effected this bike at all.... advice anyone?
Shaving the seat involves taking the seat cover off, and "shaving" out seat padding. Looking at the seat on this bike, Id imagine you can comfortably get 1-1.5" of drop out of it, before making it uncomfortable for most riders.

This lowering link would get you all the drop you need, just showed up last night apparently
CBR500R Lowering Kit, CBR500R Lowering Link, CBR500R Lowering Links, CBR500R Adjustable Ride Height

Changing the rear ride height dramatically affects the handling of the bike. It changes steering effort, shifts more weight over the rear, and increases the risk of "bottoming out" if you hit a hard bump.

Its wise to maintain a front to rear height balance, in order to preserve the handling. If you are going to have a shop do the work, they will probably lower the front accordingly, to even out the drop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Basically shaving the seat means just that, they took the seat off the bike, took the leather outer stuff off and literally re-formed and shaved down the foam in the seat to reshape it and make it less padded. In doing so, they were able to give me an extra 2.5 inches of height without modifying the suspension. As a novice rider, I've had people tell me not to modify the suspension because it effects handling and the suspension, but I'm not doing crazy stuff with the bike, so I don't think lowering it will be an issue on your bike. I rode a lowered 250 and honestly didn't notice a difference so I wouldn't think lowering a 500 would be all that different.

And since you mentioned the bombshell boots, how is the sole on those? I looked at them online and have read mixed reviews. I've been thinking about getting some boots with higher soles/heels to make up for the extra 2 inches I still need to feel a bit more solid footed on the bike, but was worried they weren't solid for riding or shifting gears (I am used to normally wearing 3-5 inch heels at work so I don't think it will be an issue but on a bike, not sure). Would like your feedback.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts