Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I like michelins but this is a honest review. Went out today in the rain,. UK back roads plenty of twisties, includes 2nd gear corners, where tractors have turned into the fields. Road surface poor, riding with caution but also asking for throttle on the exit, not once did I have an issue with grip. So my previous thread mentioned replacing with a cheaper pair when the rear wants replacing. Well I will be fitting another Michelin PR5 after today's experience. Mileage now 4,900miles with about 1,500 or so miles left and that includes fast riding mostly.Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep, I don't have a wide experience to draw from - I bought a set of very similar dunlops to the stock ones not long after I got the bike as the first were almost 7 years old and they were okay I guess. Christmas eve-eve I rode 600km home on them and don't remember any dramas, but come boxing day I had 2 nails in the rear. Shop said nay on patching 2 hole in one tyre, had a 20% off post Christmas deal, so I bought a new set. IT was surprisingly hard to get my only 2500km front tyre back from the shop actually lol.

But yeah, fitted them 8,500 km ago and still love them. I'll be buying another set unless something really special comes out. For me it was all about that first ride back. i'd just done a week of really heavy riding and knew the dunlops well, then had to ride back from the shop on brand spanking new tyres with a warning stamped on my reciept to take it easy for the first 1000km's in torrential rain on twisty muddy roads lol. It sticks in my mins because they were noticeably better that the dunlops that just came off in the wet even though it was their first time out. Rode them all winter and honestly I don't really sweat the rain at all.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I don't have a wide experience to draw from - I bought a set of very similar dunlops to the stock ones not long after I got the bike as the first were almost 7 years old and they were okay I guess. Christmas eve-eve I rode 600km home on them and don't remember any dramas, but come boxing day I had 2 nails in the rear. Shop said nay on patching 2 hole in one tyre, had a 20% off post Christmas deal, so I bought a new set. IT was surprisingly hard to get my only 2500km front tyre back from the shop actually lol.

But yeah, fitted them 8,500 km ago and still love them. I'll be buying another set unless something really special comes out. For me it was all about that first ride back. i'd just done a week of really heavy riding and knew the dunlops well, then had to ride back from the shop on brand spanking new tyres with a warning stamped on my reciept to take it easy for the first 1000km's in torrential rain on twisty muddy roads lol. It sticks in my mins because they were noticeably better that the dunlops that just came off in the wet even though it was their first time out. Rode them all winter and honestly I don't really sweat the rain at all.
So are you on dunlops or michelins now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I fitted the pr5's 6000 odd kms ago, still the best mod I've done on my MY16....I clearly remember the HUGE improvement over the stock dunlops, the HUGE improvement to my riding&confidence, especially in the wet. They have plenty of life left in them, I expected much faster wear. I commute and blat around the hills most weekends. I can't imagine not refitting them when it's time.
It's like the road is a blanket, and the michelins are the sxxt.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fitted the pr5's 6000 odd kms ago, still the best mod I've done on my MY16....I clearly remember the HUGE improvement over the stock dunlops, the HUGE improvement to my riding&confidence, especially in the wet. They have plenty of life left in them, I expected much faster wear. I commute and blat around the hills most weekends. I can't imagine not refitting them when it's time.
It's like the road is a blanket, and the michelins are the sxxt.
I had an odd experience today, cranked over and foot peg caught the road and yet I still have chicken strips 🤔

1 - 5 of 5 Posts