Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was seriously considering the NC700X as an alternative. I was getting antsy for the 500's to come out but no one seemed to know when they were coming, and almost went for the NC. But they came out before my patience gave out and got an F lol

I had read the NC was a great beginner bike, had great gas mileage, and that handy built in trunk, which all appealed to me. The part holding was the seat height. It was just a tad too high and i wanted a little more stability at a stop for my first bike.

Now if Honda had brought the NC700S to the States, which looks a lot like the F, i probably would not have waited at all, and would have bought one.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was leaning towards a Ninja 650 or a used Suzuki SV650, but insurance was rather high for the Ninja and used SV650's are nowhere to be found in my area. That, and I just wasn't impressed with the fuel economy of the inline 4 machines.. even if they do make nicer noises :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
Used, I was looking at a Suzuki SV650. New, I was considering the Ninja 300. The CBR250R was also on the list, but the Ninja has that little extra power that I would have gone for and I find the styling nicer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dl650

·
Registered
521 Posts
I actually test rode a Street Triple on Saturday while waiting on my 500 to show up at the dealer. I havent put down the money YET, so if the 500 ends up feeling too much like my 250 after I test ride it, I definitely know where I'll be going for my next bike.

I not once didnt have a smile on my face while I was on that thing. Its a fantastic machine.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yamaha FZ6R. #2 choice.
Love the 2010 blue model.
They stopped doing it in the UK for some reason. They do a FZ8R now. It's £8,000, 3000 more than the CBR 500 and getting very close to R6 prices

CBR 500 = £5000
FZ8R = £8000
R6 = £9000

·
Registered
212 Posts
I spent almost a year looking into dl650's. But when I sat on one it didn't do much for me. Seat was just a touch too high to be comfortable. Then I discovered the 500's and I knew right away that the x was for me.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Realistically, I have no real idea. I was all over the place. I was looking on Craigslist for various 600 supersports in excellent condition, and a couple did get my attention, but way before I had my money saved up (was determined to pay cash). I also thought about a track-ready sv650, but most available were really old, and half the reason for getting a new-to-me bike was to have something really new that wouldn't have oil leaks or handling issues, etc. My other ride was a 1984 that had a little oil leakage, especially after a good flogging, that made it unsuitable for the track.
I did hope to find a brand new, previous-year 600 ss for cheap. Back in late 2010 I think, a local dealer had an '09 R6 for sale for under 7 grand. I was in agony that the timing was financially terrible. It was one of those missed opportunities that I will never forget.
Anyway, I didn't find anything like that again, and just when I started getting rolling and had a solid plan for saving 6 grand or so for a new bike, Honda announced the 500; the perfect displacement for an everyday fun bike! After that, I looked around some, but I was fairly sure this was the bike.
I guess if it hadn't come out, I'd have ended up eventually getting a lightly used 600 supersport for cheap from someone desperate or maybe a new previous year GSX-R750.
Sorry for the novel.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Two choices for me 1) cbr600rr. 2) GIXXER

Once I saw the 500r at the bike show I knew it was a wiser choice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
there are 3 more bikes on my wish list: 1- Ducati Monster... 2- aprilia svx450/550 ... 3 - ktm 250 for trials

·
Registered
924 Posts
My missus is buying a Monster 659. I figure spend cheap now, sell it in a year and get an MV. I'll take that monster for a ride and tell you what it's like.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I really wanted to test the new GW250 but its still not out yet stateside full size bike with a smaller engine. I did test a husky 650 strada and loved it before I bought it tho I went across the street to the honda dealership saw the 500R sitting there and it just felt right. I looked at the ninja650 and the fz6r but they are way overpriced you may as well spend 1500-2000 more for the super sports at that price. I wanted a bike that I could commute 90+ miles a day with if necessary. I can do that on my 500r and still have fun on an awesome looking bike.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My missus is buying a Monster 659. I figure spend cheap now, sell it in a year and get an MV. I'll take that monster for a ride and tell you what it's like.
I'd be interested to hear your impression on how it compares. I'm also considering the ducati 659, but spending that sort of coin on a lams bike may not be the wisest decision. But in saying that they do hold their value, and you'd only loose the same amount when it comes to sell when compared to the CB, just a bigger initial investment.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I would have gone for a Yamaha XJ6 naked..

·
Registered
924 Posts
I'd be interested to hear your impression on how it compares. I'm also considering the ducati 659, but spending that sort of coin on a lams bike may not be the wisest decision. But in saying that they do hold their value, and you'd only loose the same amount when it comes to sell when compared to the CB, just a bigger initial investment.
She plans on only riding the 659 and keeping it forever so the initial outlay is steep but in the big scheme of things: 1) She wants to ride. 2) Its a Ducati. 3) I get to see her in leather :)

You are right though. They do hold their value to a silly amount even 2-3 yrs after purchase. But my only issue is why buy a 2nd hand 659 for only 1K less when you can buy a new one? Like we did. But as I said she's keeping it long term.

I'll YouTube my impressions with my GoPro like every other monkey on the internet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts