Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well, it is not cheap, that's for certain. However, the seat cost is about 5% the cost of a new CB-500F. It is frustrating that Honda has fitted the CB-500s with sub-standard seats; it costs no more to design and build a very good seat than a poor seat. It's all a matter of shape and foam firmness and density. Over the years, I have modified some unpleasant OEM seats into good seats with just an electric carving knife (after removing the seat cover!). The CB's seat is too thin to allow successful re-shaping, unfortunately, but it still can be repositioned to delete much of the downward slant.

I rode my '17 F model 217 miles today and the last 60 miles reminded me that the suspension, even with an up-scale Wilbers, was still too harsh. The firmness of the Corbin seat was no advantage, either. I'll try a sheepskin seat pad after this. It's hard to buy production line seats, as they are good for many purchasers and not so good for many others. I'm very slight of build, 134#, and my suspension/seating might be perfect for a rider 40# heavier, but not for me.

Ralph
Some people in my group like those "air" seats, I forget their proper name.

·
Registered
157 Posts
PB: I believe you are referring to an AirHawk inflatable cushion. I have one. They're not just an inflatable cushion; they have air chambers so the air can "migrate" under the rider. Somewhat sophisticated. I hesitate to put it on the Corbin. Looks? Reminder that for $373 I have an overly hard seat? Dunno. An underlying problem is that my Wilbers shock needs a bit less pre-load. I use 3mm less than Wilbers' rep suggested (15mm I use 12mm presently but am going to crank it back 3mm at a time. I am not interested in track days. I just want a happy butt.

Wilbers suggested a 7.0KG spring from the substantial sag data I sent them, but the softest they could find was a 7.5KG, just a tick firmer. Softest fork springs I could find are 6KG and members of this forum thought a 5.0 would be better, but I have yet to find any that soft for the CB-500.
In fairness to the Corbin seat, I'd want to get the suspension right first. I've had 5 Corbins and they all have done well for me, but on bikes that had comfortable suspension to begin with, or that I'd been able to set up right.

Ralph

·
Registered
331 Posts
Tried Air Hawk didn't work for me. So stuffed the bag with memory foam and found that far better. New shock fitted with 3 full turns softer on the preload than recommended, and 2 full turns softer on bump and rebound. Tyres at 34 40. Our uk roads are shite, and I think maybe the front is a tad stiff now.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts