Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
That looks great, how ever ,it will not fit on the post 2016 models.

Plasma1
My 2017 CB -500F with Corbin seat would disagree with you. It fits fine.

I do wish the Corbin seat were a bit raised at the front, about an inch, but that said I don't find myself sliding forward. I asked Corbin with my order to raise the front an inch, but I got what they decided was what I was going to get. It's still a grand improvement over the horrid OEM seat.

Ralph

·
Registered
299 Posts
My 2017 CB -500F with Corbin seat would disagree with you. It fits fine.

I do wish the Corbin seat were a bit raised at the front, about an inch, but that said I don't find myself sliding forward. I asked Corbin with my order to raise the front an inch, but I got what they decided was what I was going to get. It's still a grand improvement over the horrid OEM seat.

Ralph

Ralph, when I e-mailed Corbin to ask about a seat they told me they didnt do one to fit the later models as the seat fits on in a diffrent way.

Plasma1

·
Registered
157 Posts
Plasma:

Corbin is unnecessarily doing themselves out of some business. My '17 CB-500F model has two threaded holes in the frame into which two Allen bolts screw, through the seat pan, to keep the seat in place. This plus a plastic tab at the front which also holds the seat in place.

Corbin does the mounting at the rear a bit differently then the OEM seat where, as noted above, the Allen bolts drop through the seat pan and (after a lot of fussing) align with the frame holes and you screw in the Allen bolts, praying earnestly that you haven't cross-threaded them. I put these Allen bolts away and took too long bolts of the same diameter/thread pitch and cut two studs, each about 30mm long (1 1/3") I screwed these, with a drop of LocTite blue formula into the OEM threaded holes under the seat and allowed them to "bottom", in which case the studs stood clear of the holes by about 1/2". Corbin makes no provision for the Allen bolts to screw through their seat pan. They fit two 2" chrome tabs onto the seat pan and these can be bolted to the frame, or as in my case, dropped over the protruding studs and secured with a nut and lock washer on each stud. It has been secure for over 1000 miles now and is in all respects securely mounted and much easier than the OEM mounting to remove and replace the seat, with no chance of cross threading the frame holes. Buy the Corbin seat; be happy.

Ralph

Reactions: Jb44

·
Registered
299 Posts
Plasma:

Corbin is unnecessarily doing themselves out of some business. My '17 CB-500F model has two threaded holes in the frame into which two Allen bolts screw, through the seat pan, to keep the seat in place. This plus a plastic tab at the front which also holds the seat in place.

Corbin does the mounting at the rear a bit differently then the OEM seat where, as noted above, the Allen bolts drop through the seat pan and (after a lot of fussing) align with the frame holes and you screw in the Allen bolts, praying earnestly that you haven't cross-threaded them. I put these Allen bolts away and took too long bolts of the same diameter/thread pitch and cut two studs, each about 30mm long (1 1/3") I screwed these, with a drop of LocTite blue formula into the OEM threaded holes under the seat and allowed them to "bottom", in which case the studs stood clear of the holes by about 1/2". Corbin makes no provision for the Allen bolts to screw through their seat pan. They fit two 2" chrome tabs onto the seat pan and these can be bolted to the frame, or as in my case, dropped over the protruding studs and secured with a nut and lock washer on each stud. It has been secure for over 1000 miles now and is in all respects securely mounted and much easier than the OEM mounting to remove and replace the seat, with no chance of cross threading the frame holes. Buy the Corbin seat; be happy.

Ralph

Thank you Ralph,I will send Corbin an e-mail.

Plasma1

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ralph, Corbin want 598 dollars!!!! for a seat to fit the CB500f ,no way, it must be one of the smalles ever made.

Plasma1.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ralph, Corbin want 598 dollars!!!! for a seat to fit the CB500f ,no way, it must be one of the smalles ever made.Plasma1.
$363. USD plus shipping on their website.
plus sales tax if you are in Calif or FL.

jb

·
Registered
90 Posts
Had a look at the Corbin seats in the UK. They want £483 GBP just for the front seat in vinyl ok it is complete with clip under tank and the two brackets at the back to fit the frame exactly as the oem seat.
However I cannot justify the cost, maybe santa will put one under the tree at xmas - Bob Hope comes to mind.
:surprise:

·
Registered
331 Posts
They did my seat, wasn't as successful as the cb650seat they did. The 500 seat is thinner for a start so it hasn't got as much thickness. Def better though. I think it was £120inc p&p back to me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looked on Elite Seats website, they are about 15 miles from me and can do it while you wait. They use memory foam and also a new non slip vinyl cover for £150. For both seats it will be £200. Far more reasionable the the Corbin rip off ones.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I said on the 2019 thread that I had bought a [slightly too big] Tourtecs air cushion. Yesterday I tested it.

In a roughly eight-hour 320-mile ride on all kinds of roads I probably spent about 20 minutes off the bike, though half an hour was spent sat stationary on the bike talking to someone at a petrol station. After that I had another 30 mile trip.

I am certain that I would be in agony after a journey of that length. Even had it been a normal day out, one with a several-hour gap in the middle. But I was not.

It is not that I did not feel anything, just that the discomfort was so minor that now I cannot remember it. Which is not something I would normally say. The pain from long rides will normally last the rest of the night and the memory hold for several days.

More experience with it is needed before I can say it has solved my problems, but my initial reaction is quite positive. (And with new tyres and okay weather the last 80 miles on rural B-roads (minor roads) was a super enjoyable ride.)

Is this similar to an AirHawk? I was thinking of trying one (or a similar knock-off). I bought this bike mainly for commuting (25 mi each way) so don’t want to spend a ton on it, but would like to be able to do some runs in the twisties every now and then as my main touring bike is a Spyder RT.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Is this similar to an AirHawk?
Yes, though I have no experience of one to say whether they feel the same.

But the cushion makes a very big difference to me. I am still struggling to work out the right level of inflation, yet I am been able to ride 300 miles with only a stop for petrol and only get very mild discomfort. I can feel it but it is not painful and goes away when off the bike. On just the stock seat I would be in pain after 100 miles.

My only regret is not properly measuring the seat first and trusting the listing saying the ML size was compatible. It technically is, in that the only requirement is a removable seat to thread the elastic strap under, but I think a proper fitting one would be better so I am considering replacing mine with a smaller one. Having it raise up onto the tank a little gives you less ability to move around in the seat.

The only complaint I have is that the adjustment to tighten the strap under the seat loosens a little too easily, and if you are not going to keep the cushion on the bike at all times the strap obviously pings itself back under the seat. So I bought some elastic in a supermarket which I ran over the top of the seat and tied that to the clips which works fine. And it is not noticeable when on short rides without the cushion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A late addendum to this rather important thread.

How often have I said or heard that the OEM seat is terrible because it slants down in front. Ditto the Corbin, if mounted as intended. The way to correct this downward slant is easy and FREE.

1. Remove the seat and replace the OEM bolts with studs and nuts as I mention earlier in this thread. Makes remounting the seat a breeze.
2. On the two parallel frame rails under the seat, there is a "bridge" of steel, which the plastic "tongue" at the front of the seat goes under, to secure the front of the seat.
3. Note on the frame the two flat pads on either frame rail onto which the front sides of the seat rest.
4. Glue a 3/4" tall hard rubber block onto each of these pads.
5. When replacing the seat, do NOT try to put the front "tongue" under the frame cross member. It can't go there any more. Put it ABOVE the cross member it usually goes under. This will locate the tongue between the top of the crossmember and the bottom rear of the tank.
6. You now will have raised the front of the seat 3/4" and gone a long way to improving the seat's comfort.

If you use a Corbin seat this way, it's heavenly! I have well over 2000 miles on this modification with not the slightest problem and considerably more comfort. And, raising the seat this way does not create a noticeable gap between the front of the seat and the frame. It looks fine.

When I completed this simple and cheap modification I was astonished by the result and the absence of any expense to achieve it.

Ralph

Reactions: Hoodooman

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, it is not cheap, that's for certain. However, the seat cost is about 5% the cost of a new CB-500F. It is frustrating that Honda has fitted the CB-500s with sub-standard seats; it costs no more to design and build a very good seat than a poor seat. It's all a matter of shape and foam firmness and density. Over the years, I have modified some unpleasant OEM seats into good seats with just an electric carving knife (after removing the seat cover!). The CB's seat is too thin to allow successful re-shaping, unfortunately, but it still can be repositioned to delete much of the downward slant.

I rode my '17 F model 217 miles today and the last 60 miles reminded me that the suspension, even with an up-scale Wilbers, was still too harsh. The firmness of the Corbin seat was no advantage, either. I'll try a sheepskin seat pad after this. It's hard to buy production line seats, as they are good for many purchasers and not so good for many others. I'm very slight of build, 134#, and my suspension/seating might be perfect for a rider 40# heavier, but not for me.

Ralph

Reactions: airhead83
21 - 40 of 43 Posts