Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got a 2015 cb500f, and everytime i drive for more than 3-4 hours my ass goes numb and if i keep driving i start aching in my lower back.

I have actually planned to use the bike for a longer vacation during the summer. I will cover 2160 kilometers (1340 miles) over 6 days.

I was considering buying a cushion for my seat (Like the airhawk or tourtecs) to make the drive alittle more plesant, but have any of you actually tried them? Are they worth it?
Have read people complaining that whilst the cushion improve the comfort, it makes you sweat like crazy cause they are so warm.
Also, the slight backpain i experience might be from having to constantly lean alittle forward as i am a little tall for the bike. Adding a 5cm cushion would only make me have to lean forward a little extra, wich might in turn add to the backpain.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I did not find the Air Hawk useful.

I am trying an ATV seat cushion from Wal Mart now on another bike.

Less than $30, so I didn't break the bank.
No data on it yet.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I think 3-4 hours on a seat whatever it is will not be comfortable. However, your body adapts and gets conditioned to most things so maybe give it a while and give your body time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think 3-4 hours on a seat whatever it is will not be comfortable. However, your body adapts and gets conditioned to most things so maybe give it a while and give your body time.
Have had my bike for a year now, and the longest rides i've had have been about 6-7 hours.
Now by the time i reach the end of those 6-7 hours my lower back hurts like crazy. If you by "give it a while" mean "use the bike regularly for a year, and you should get used to it", it has not happened yet.
If you mean "Push through the pain til you're used to it!", I would really like to just avoid the pain entirely.

Also, I found that corbin offers a replacement seat thats made for better ergonomics, but it costs 300 dollars...
Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Honda CB 500F | 800-538-7035

·
Registered
279 Posts
Get the Corbin. Well worth it. I had the same issue and after more than a year just bit the bullet and bought it. I now rode non-stop for 2-3 hours and don’t feel it. Haven’t done anything longer since I got the seat but would be willing to bet it would be just as effective.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Get the Corbin. Well worth it. I had the same issue and after more than a year just bit the bullet and bought it. I now rode non-stop for 2-3 hours and don’t feel it. Haven’t done anything longer since I got the seat but would be willing to bet it would be just as effective.

I don't think Corbin do a seat for the later models.

Plasma1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback. Im planing on selling the bike at the end of 2019 / start of 2020 as im going from an A2 to an A license (Meaning i can up the engine-power). And here in europe, a seat from corbin costs £393.90, not including shipping. Wich im not willing to pay as im a student for the next 2 years. Had it been below 270 or lower, i would consider it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Im planing on selling the bike at the end of 2019 / start of 2020 as im going from an A2 to an A license (Meaning i can up the engine-power). And here in europe, a seat from corbin costs £393.90, not including shipping. Wich im not willing to pay as im a student for the next 2 years. Had it been below 270 or lower, i would consider it.
Wow! That is pricey and I can definitely understand why you wouldn’t spend that on it given you won’t be keeping her. Good luck with whatever option you try.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I, too, found the seat a problem - even just after an hour! So, I tried a series of padding - foam, etc. and will say this, that what I ended up with does help. I am not one for being paranoid about appearance, but I also wanted to make no changes that couldn't be changed back to original.

I ended up with one of those seat cushions sold at sporting goods stores that are for seats at football games. I just couldn't justify the cost of the airhawks.

I use a couple of straps to hold it in place, and I had my wife sew a "cushion" cover that has slots for the straps. The straps go across the seat and down to each rider's footpeg bracket and buckles there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Numb ass and aching back after driving for 3 to 4 hours? I think that's about normal. You meant driving straight for 3 to 4 hours, right?

I consider myself an extreme endurance rider having finished quite a few 24-hour run events covering 1,200 kilometers (745 miles) and 1,600 kilometers (1,000 miles), with gas stops as our only respite, over the course of my motorcycling lifetime across various Honda bikes and one particular KTM bike. Expectedly, my ass gets numb and my back would ache upon reaching a checkpoint or a tank's worth of run. But I do have to contend by stretching and jogging-in-place just to get my blood flowing on each stop.

Disclaimer: Actually, with bigger displacement bikes, we get to finish the events at a lot less time than 24 hours. But I've also participated with more than 23-hour finishes on 150cc and 110cc Hondas. Backs, asses and limbs would still ache nevertheless.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The approach I'd take would be to buy a used seat off from a breaker, and get it modified either professionally, or at home.

The DIY method is not too difficult, and I always like to learn new things. Fitting a commercially available gel pad and reshaping the foam part (depending on where you feel the pain) is relatively easy with home tools. There are bunch of youtube videos and how-to webpages covering the topic. The tricky part is reattaching the upholstering (I have a mechanical stapler what works fine for me) and knowing which way to modify the contour or to shave or build up on the seat.

I know of a few masters with long years of experience customising seats with whatever extras needed (memory foam, gel pads, seat heating, special non slip cover etc) - I'm sure you can find some in the country where you live too. As the 500F has a separate front and back seat, redoing the front only could be still fitting your cost limit.

This way you'd still have the original seat sell the bike with, and an extra seat to recover some of the costs - and make someone happy with a cheap comfortable seat.

Just my 2 cents tho.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Numb ass and aching back after driving for 3 to 4 hours? I think that's about normal. You meant driving straight for 3 to 4 hours, right?

I consider myself an extreme endurance rider having finished quite a few 24-hour run events covering 1,200 kilometers (745 miles) and 1,600 kilometers (1,000 miles), with gas stops as our only respite, over the course of my motorcycling lifetime across various Honda bikes and one particular KTM bike. Expectedly, my ass gets numb and my back would ache upon reaching a checkpoint or a tank's worth of run. But I do have to contend by stretching and jogging-in-place just to get my blood flowing on each stop.

Disclaimer: Actually, with bigger displacement bikes, we get to finish the events at a lot less time than 24 hours. But I've also participated with more than 23-hour finishes on 150cc and 110cc Hondas. Backs, asses and limbs would still ache nevertheless.
Been there, done that. some of the events I've ran were dedicated 24 hours motorcycle adventure rally competitions, where arriving ON time is important, so one would not want to finish them earlier even if it would be possible.
Some of my most comfortable rides was my Pan European, but it is somewhat similar that of traveling with a large suitcase. Excellent for a long haul trip, but difficult to maneuver in tight spaces.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Oyabun's suggestions are great. I like to do my own experimenting to try to achieve the best I can get. One of the flaws (IMO) of almost all the newer bikes is their reliance on just foam rubber to provide the cushioning. Older bikes (circa 1960 - 1970) actually had seats mounted on springs AND had some sort of flat spring arrangement in the seat itself. The older style IMO worked better, but didn't match the newer "flow" styling of the new bikes.

I had 3 different BMWs (all older: a 1968 R50, a 1974 R90/6; and a 1978 R100/7) and got none of the bottom fatigue described in this thread. That's because their seats were designed to be ridden for long hauls. I still got SOME aching in my bottom, but that was because I hadn't prepared myself for the trips. I used to stop around every 100 - 150 miles - get gas, cup of coffee, and walk around to help. No vibrations also helped.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The lower back pain may be from the cheap rear shock. I'm 100% sure that's the case for me. (on my 'R' model) Every time I hit a bump in the road on the latter part of a long day's ride, I feel it. There's Ohlins, but they're expensive, over $1k, I think.

Others have fit GSX-R shocks with success, but they take some modding.

As for the numb bum, that's an easy one. The reason the bum goes numb is lack of ventilation. the seat shape and foam on the CB500 series is actually pretty good. But it's vinyl you're sitting on, which doesn't breathe at ALL.

The Corbins are shaped better, and also made of material that breathes. (leather) But they're HARD; almost no cushion at all. I had one each on my SV650 and FJR1300. It may have actually make your back pain worse, but improved your bum comfort.

It's also why Airhawks and sheepskins work.

I did the stadium seat thing, it helps, but it's not as good as the above, and they need to be trimmed and rigged a lot, since they're always too big for motorcycle seats.

What I finally settled on was a Beadrider seat pad. I don't know if they ship to Europe, but if not, see if you can find something similar locally. Cabbies have been using them forever, for the same reason. They're very reasonable, something like $35, and there's a high chance that it'll fit on your new A class bike.

Over here, you probably know we can start on whatever bike we want, often to our own detriment. I started on an SV650, which was great, worked my way up to a 1300 and found that for the vast majority of my riding, something in the 500-650 size class is perfect. Bigger than that and you start to have other disadvantages that are not apparent when one is dreaming of more power. (weight, heat, reduced fuel economy, usually increased mechanical complexity) Think hard on it before you go up in size just because you can. The main reason I'd go up to a big bike again is for shaft drive and a hydraulic clutch, and I would miss the 75 mpg I get on the CBR500R.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My butt goes a little numb after about an hour. Happens on motorcycles, bicycles, and in some cars. Not much I can do in the car except pull over, take a break, and stretch. However, on motorcycles/bicycles, I stand up every 30-40 minutes for about a minute to get blood flowing again. Usually works for me. Rick

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have one of these…

https://www.bumbags4bikers.co.uk/

…which I originally bought back when on my 125 but it did not really help on there. After getting a bit of pain at around 300 miles I thought I would try it on the 500F.

No idea whether it worked, or I just got used to the distance, but I do not usually get sore now. I did by the end of yesterday, but that was a 343 mile day and ended with a lot of filtering, so was quite a long time on the bike too.

I am not tall but I do have arthritis and used to sometimes get pain in my neck and occasionally the back, but that seems to have improved after installing bar risers. Also did much more good for my hands, now I just need to stop the right one going numb all the time. I bought one of these…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068FV596

…which are cheaper imported from Amazon U.S. (with the price including all taxes and fees) then anything equivalent you can get here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts