Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I forgot to mention when I picked up my bike I was looking to get rear cowl, it was pointed out to me by Dave my local sales buddy that in Aus they have got a few of the paint codes wrong. Highly recommend you have your dealer check and yourself check before you buy one. He showed me faulty one and there is a huge difference. One being almost 250 maroony red rather than the bright red of my bike

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Welcome aboard, yo.
Interesting info. Did the color (sorry, colour) look like it could have been for the F?

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
So I forgot to mention when I picked up my bike I was looking to get rear cowl, it was pointed out to me by Dave my local sales buddy that in Aus they have got a few of the paint codes wrong. Highly recommend you have your dealer check and yourself check before you buy one. He showed me faulty one and there is a huge difference. One being almost 250 maroony red rather than the bright red of my bike
Thanks for bring this issue up, I'm sure this will save the headache for others on here. How much did the seat cowl for the CBr500 come out to?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked my bike up last Friday was supposed to have the rear seat cowl on it but been told its gonna be few weeks mine is white hope its a good colour match

·
Registered
924 Posts
Me too. White ABS tricolour for CBR500R in Qld. Hope it's the right match.

·
Registered
113 Posts
RED SEAT COWL PART NUMBER: 08f71-mgz-j00zg

Reactions: Natrix

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had the seat cowl for about a week now, and after a quick review, I definitely feel a bit of regret purchasing the Honda OEM seat cowl. Here are some of the issues I've found:

1) The fitment will likely scratch your paint

Notice something on the corners of where the cowl sits?

The cowl is actually angled like a chisel when you slide it in and this causes the corners to take off some of the paint when you install it. And this is the other corner

2) It doesn't sit flush with the rear trim

You may not mind how it looks, but the gap might actually be inviting to someone to give it a bit of a pry or a yanking. It doesn't look like its closed when it is actually locked in as far as it can go.

The bottom line is that the quality is not on par with the price you pay to buy it from Honda. Rewind the clock back a week and I would have held off on my purchase for an aftermarket version.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Man, that sucks. Thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear about the scratches. I wonder if your dealer would set you up with touch-up paint for free. Maybe you could plane those edges off to keep it from happening more.
Can you see any way to mod the cowl to lower it a bit in back? Is the catch just too long, longer than the one on the seat, or does the plastic just not come down enough?
Perhaps it's possible to return it.
You've probably already thought of and tried all this.
If not, perhaps if you make some noise about it with Honda you will get taken care of. They generally seem to care about the quality of their products and might be quite embarrassed about this sort of thing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had my rear cowl on for a couple of weeks and like the look of it but when I took it off today it has taken the paint off on one of the corners just like your pictures. Now I kinda have to keep it on as that spot isn't covered by the rear seat. :(

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Yeah, that's just not right.
I hope mine fits better than that. I seen photos of these seat cowls that are perfectly flush and look nice.
( Don't know why yours doesn't fit right. )
:confused:....:(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Honda sell a clear protective film, part number 08P73KBV800 that you can cut to protect the paint on any areas that might be subject to wear, abrasion etc.

Might be worth trying this on the areas of the rear cowl where cowl cover rubs on the corners.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also have the rear seat cowl on its not a great fit either rubbing off other paint work in a few places and the 2 blanks that fill the rear handles don't fit the shape at all very poor quality for a $180 genuine honda part

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thx for the info. Was planning to buy one but I will wait for now and see what happens with other drivers.

Shame this is happening with oem parts though. Mostly Honda is know for perfect matching pieces. :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
I also have the rear seat cowl on its not a great fit either rubbing off other paint work in a few places and the 2 blanks that fill the rear handles don't fit the shape at all very poor quality for a $180 genuine honda part
Well that sucks. I have paid for one. Thanks for the heads up though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was disappointed that my seat cowl did not sit flush in the rear as well. There is a large gap in the rear. I will have to buy some of that protective film for the corners. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow, that's disturbingly bad quality. I wish they'd just sell the plates to block off the holes left behind from taking off the handles. Looks like I may be holding off on my purchase..

·
Registered
458 Posts
One of the new aussie guys said his one fits nice and flush and isn't scratching the paint, I wonder if it's an issue in certain countries.
Maybe everyone who has an issue should post their country so we can see if it's a global issue or a country issue

1 - 20 of 126 Posts