Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CB500F and was in a very minor collision that caused a tiny hole on the fork casing. It dented the fork tube as well. It doesn't seem too much of an issue. What do you all think? It's maybe between 5-7 inches above the bottom of the fork tube. Spending $200-300 for a fork tube isn't my first go-to unless necessary.

·
Registered
35 Posts
IMHO this stanchion is in very bad condition - it has worn chromed surface, it has a dent and it's bent. It will have a lot of stiction and it will produce accelerated bush wear. Each of this issues in more than enough to replace them.

And in Partzilla you have a fork tube for 100$.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,204 Posts
Agreed with the opinion that you should must not use this tube.

Like a pop-can with a dent in it it will have lost a great deal of strength and rigidity. Sudden failure in bending or compression could be catastrophic.

It may bind in the bushing because of the distortion.

The seal is sure to gush oil which will end up on the front and/or rear tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thats why motorcycles have two forks... in case one gets bent and damaged. No worries. 🙄

·
Registered
180 Posts
Your course is clear; you need a new tube; Should the damaged tube fail in any way when you're riding, you'll kick yourself (and we'll help you!) for not doing the right thing for yourself.

Ralph

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your course is clear; you need a new tube; Should the damaged tube fail in any way when you're riding, you'll kick yourself (and we'll help you!) for not doing the right thing for yourself.

Ralph
Yeah.. I'll most likely be replacing both sides. Just waiting for the right price.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If both fork tube needs replacement (confirm by removing and rolling it on a flat surface), then, there is the opportunistic option for a used swap-over (if a good used pair can be found) to 2016-2018 forks with updated internals and preload adjuster. I've researched this before and I think (i cannot confirm) they are a direct replacement; just make sure it is the same 'variant' (i.e. F, R, or X); the fork (and tube) are different lengths for each variant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If both fork tube needs replacement (confirm by removing and rolling it on a flat surface), then, there is the opportunistic option for a used swap-over (if a good used pair can be found) to 2016-2018 forks with updated internals and preload adjuster. I've researched this before and I think (i cannot confirm) they are a direct replacement; just make sure it is the same 'variant' (i.e. F, R, or X); the fork (and tube) are different lengths for each variant.
I was looking into just replacing just one. But it didn't make sense in my head. If I'm to replace one, might as well do both so it's equally "new" right? But then again, the prices for a new one is more than a used one on eBay or aftermarket. Not sure if I'll go aftermarket/china made though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts