Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
My bike is 3-weeks old as of yesterday and I have rust on it already!

This outright angers me. I've ridden in rain a few times, but had assumed that bikes are coated in something that would prevent rust from forming or using stainless steel (or some other metal that doesn't rust).

I went to look at the stock clip-ons and how to remove them when I found this.

Anyone else have this issue? Or is it just the fault of the dealership that put this one together?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
yea i have the same issue its just surface rust and will just wipe off with a rag no chemicals needed

·
Registered
259 Posts
Use some WD-40 to spray the wet areas down. The WD stands for 'water displacement'. I have used WD-40 on nearly every part of my wet motocross and road bikes with NO rust formation ever! (Do not put WD-40 on brakes or rotors). Let me know how it goes. Good luck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Once a month I use SDOC100 cleaner to clean my bike and it has Protective additive that leaves a protective layer ask over the bike which lasts for a couple of washes.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Keep an eye on where the fork goes into the bottom yoke as well (looking up from the front mudguard behind the lights). They rust like mad there where the chrome is against the cast yoke. I try to keep that area and the chrome bit between the yokes covered in a film of light oil, it builds dirt up a bit but better that than rust. Areas like that going rusty aren't going to affect anything but its better to not let it start!

I also wipe down the chrome of the forks where the seals travel with a very light coat of oil after washing. Would do that more often if used in the winter. You don't want that area getting any rust spots!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem. My bike is about a month old and yeah I'm pretty annoyed as well. Do other bikes have this issue?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah I have rust in the exact same place as the OP. I haven't worried about it yet, I used a cotton-tip to get some of it off and it came off easily, but I needed something smaller to get down in there. I'll do it one day...

Mine was actually there from the day I picked the bike up, but I only realised when I got home.

I find it curious though that we both have rust on the left side of the bars. I don't know about the OP or anyone else, but my right-side is fine. Makes me wonder if there was something in manufacturing that caused it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yeah this is pretty standard. I started a thread a while ago, showing how to remove the rust from under the clip-ons and add rust inhibitor to hopefully stop it returning.

http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/appearance-body/15354-rust-removal.html

So far the rust hasnt come back. I think it predominantly effects the left hand clip-on as when the bike is on the side stand, out in the rain, water tends to collect in the channel between the clip-on and fork tube. As the right hand clip-on is angled upwards, most of the rainwater drains away from it.
This is one of the area's I pay particular attention to when drying the bike after returning it to the garage once it has been out in the rain.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yea dude i have rust in the exact same spot on my R, as others have said it only appears to be surface rust. no problem at all :p

·
Registered
650 Posts
Use some WD-40 to spray the wet areas down. The WD stands for 'water displacement'. I have used WD-40 on nearly every part of my wet motocross and road bikes with NO rust formation ever! (Do not put WD-40 on brakes or rotors). Let me know how it goes. Good luck!
You still should use a rust protectant following up WD-40. WD-40 displaces moisture AND washes out any lubricant leaving the surface vulnerable to more moisture and thus rust.

LPS is FAR superior to WD as it does both, water displacement AND lube and rust protect. LPS #1, #2, and esp. #3 for rust protection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts