Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else annoyed by people yelling at you cause they think one of the headlights are out?

How much of a job you guys think it would be to have both lights running on low? Cant be as easy as just replacing the infernal bulb with the same one that stays on - that might be simple!!!! :)

Would probably look better not to mention safer....

Thoughts / Comments / Ideas welcome....

·
Registered
39 Posts
that's what im doing, I just ordered a H7 HID conversion kit for mine and I will either run with the high beams on all the time or wire it so they both come on with the low beams. I think it looks stupid only having one light on and your more visible with 2.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it's the same as other similar bikes, and as mine hasn't arrived yet I'll have to guess, I'm fairly certain it will necessitate a change of headlight relay. The lamps are already equipped with both filaments, but a relay in the lighting circuit tells which light to illuminate. I suspect that your aftermarket HID kit will also have a change of relay, as it's a common mod on twin headlight bikes.

Oh and speaking as a car driver as well as a bike rider, please don't ride with your mains on, especially when you have a HID kit fitted. All you'll succeed in doing is narking other road users. Personally, it's one of those things that I think make us look worse as road users.

Not that I meant to hijack the thread...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree that hids can be a little to bright if not installed in projector housings, but with new non foggy housings the glare is not that bad at all.

In all honesty I really don't care about other people being offended by my bright lights its better that I stand out and can bee seen as opposed to not being seen and getting hit and damaging my bike and me.

Where I live motorcycles all have really bright lights or bright flashing lights, but its a safety thing and most people understand that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fair enough Jake :)

Over here we have less forgiving car drivers, who both complain about brightness of bike lights and at the same time excel at taking out bikes on junctions.... Lose/lose, huh?

We don't have laws for keeping bike lights on either, although having said that all new bikes in the UK don't have light switches, as some EU member states have compulsory lighting legislation. I'm in favour myself, just personally not a fan of HID units, or projector lenses on cars.

If you find out that the replacement relay for the HID unit leads to a both lights situation, I'd be interested to know....

Cheers!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tell me about it - I'm still having to ride my bike I traded in.... 2007 Suzuki DL650AK7 GT. Can't wait to get off the thing.....!

Nice pipe, by the way!

·
Registered
3 Posts
both headlights on.

Hey buddy i have the same issue.. so what i did is adjust the high beam bulb to point down more the the low beam to point up a bit... you do this by adjusting the grey bolt with teeth.. by using a philips head screw drive in between the 2 knotches.. (or with a ratchet but much easier to do with a phillips.. which goes between the plastic and the teeth
This i found is the best way to adjust the lamps to make them more even. (Take note that you will have the high beams on all the time to have both but by pointing the high beam lowe it wont blind people.. and adjusting the low beam higher will make it appear bŕighter thus compensating to the high beam... on my cbr500r it works great and i have both lamps looking pretty even.
There are other ways to get both low and both high but it all comes with a cost... fornow this works good enought to stop wanting to upgrafe perfectly good lamps
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts