Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently working on modding the stock headlight on my 2014 CB500F and I'm hoping to finish before it gets warm out. I checked around the forums before starting this project and noticed a few others have asked about it, so I figured I'd feel out any interest in a how-to guide. The process for me was pretty involved, but most of it was spent designing/testing a custom 3D-printed backing for the speedometer. If I see enough people are interested, I can put the design up for sale on Shapeways, and from there it should be pretty simple.

The design allows for a tidy way to keep your speedometer since that's easily the most expensive part of the headlight housing. The headlight housing plastics, headlight frame, and turn signals will all come off the bike. You'll need to cut your headlight frame (it's not structural, all it does is hold the stock headlight/turn signals in place) with a grinder or hacksaw. You'll obviously need to wire up the stock harness to your aftermarket headlight as well, which could be as easy as plugging it in depending on the headlight and/or turn signals you choose. In my case, the aftermarket headlight is plug and play (H4 connection), but I needed to add resistors and do some soldering for the LED turn signals. If you think you're up to it let me know and I can see about doing a write up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the Rebel out, I wonder how easy a conversion it would be to just use the front end from that?
... although not really a fan of the Rebel's speedo vs the F
Not sure, but what I do know is that there's no way to fit the Rebel speedo onto the frame that holds it on the F. You'd have to either fabricate one for the F or mod the speedo frame from the Rebel which is way more involved than what I'm doing. Either way though once the speedometer is on there, the rest is cake. You just get a fork mount headlight bracket and pick from pretty much any headlight you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im also in the market for a streetfighter build too. I heard somone on the site made a bracket for the speedometer that rests right infront of the gas tank. Ill link the post so you guys can follow his build process

1 - 5 of 5 Posts