Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I am having rough ride and abysmal throttle response from my 2017 Honda Cbr500R - 3400 miles.
Feeling vibrations as well under 3000 rpm.
Engine, coolant levels ate good.

What could be wrong. 馃槪馃槪馃槪

Super Moderator
Upshift

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Can you accelerate normally in first gear?

Super Moderator
Good point..in first gear there is a hesitation to rev past beyong 5000 rpm.
It's normal for the motor to lose power in first gear at those high rpms. The higher the gear the happier i it is at higher rpm and will bog at lower rpm. Upshift sooner out of first and upshift later through the rest of the gears. Try it and you'll see. That's where the bike is happy. I shift out of first right away and live between 3-8k through the rest of the gears. Experienced riders here will verify that this practice makes a happy motor and a fun riding experience.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's normal for the motor to lose power in first gear at those high rpms. The higher the gear the happier i it is at higher rpm and will bog at lower rpm. Upshift sooner out of first and upshift later through the rest of the gears. Try it and you'll see. That's where the bike is happy. I shift out of first right away and live between 3-8k through the rest of the gears. Experienced riders here will verify that this practice makes a happy motor and a fun riding experience.

I see your point. But the issue I described never existed a few 100 miles back.

Super Moderator
Then I would say that up until a few hundred miles back you had a problem and now the problem has corrected itself. I'm not trying to be contentious, but I'd say that you should take your bike out and ride the way I have indicated. I believe you'll find no issues at all riding that way. If you do have something to report after riding that way then we'll have something to work on. Until then, I say user error. No offense meant. Just my 2垄.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then I would say that up until a few hundred miles back you had a problem and now the problem has corrected itself. I'm not trying to be contentious, but I'd say that you should take your bike out and ride the way I have indicated. I believe you'll find no issues at all riding that way. If you do have something to report after riding that way then we'll have something to work on. Until then, I say user error. No offense meant. Just my 2垄.

Actually that rings a bell. The previous owner used to ride the bike very sedately but I have been doing hard accelerations eversince I bought it from him. Now the bike has poor throttle response under 3000 rpm but better than ever throttle response above 3000 rpm.

Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
When I had my 500 I made a habit of "riding the flat of the tach": Look at the tach -- it's a hockey-stick, with 0, 1 and 2 on the stubby bit, 3 wrapping around the curve and 4 through 10 thousand RPM on the flat, "table top." The engine will be happiest operating on this flat part of the tach. Below that and you're in lugging range and it's going to feel rough..

As a 180-degree P-twin, the engine sees two power strokes spaced 180-degrees apart followed by 540-degrees -- one and a half rotations -- of spinning down without a power stroke. Because of this, 180 PTs can feel pretty rough at low RPM.

I'm a bit confused: Over your posts in this thread to date, you seem consistent with the feeling that below 3K RPM the engine is rough and performing poorly below 3000. But early on you said "in first gear there is a hesitation to rev past beyong 5000 rpm" and then said response above 3000 is "better than ever."

You indicate the roughness and **** response below 3000 is new so perhaps there's something wrong. At low RPM fuel demands are relatively low but cylinder pressures can be high if you're feeding throttle so, if there is an actual running problem, it's likely to be a ignition related; coil boot is leaking spark energy, plug insulator carbon-tracked, gap is fouled etc. If you feel weakness when accelerating -- the 500 has a pretty flat torque curve from 4000 to 8000RPM so it's not really natural to feel it wheezing -- you might look into airflow (clogged air filter or air inlet) or fuel delivery.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I had my 500 I made a habit of "riding the flat of the tach": Look at the tach -- it's a hockey-stick, with 0, 1 and 2 on the stubby bit, 3 wrapping around the curve and 4 through 10 thousand RPM on the flat, "table top." The engine will be happiest operating on this flat part of the tach. Below that and you're in lugging range and it's going to feel rough..

As a 180-degree P-twin, the engine sees two power strokes spaced 180-degrees apart followed by 540-degrees -- one and a half rotations -- of spinning down without a power stroke. Because of this, 180 PTs can feel pretty rough at low RPM.

I'm a bit confused: Over your posts in this thread to date, you seem consistent with the feeling that below 3K RPM the engine is rough and performing poorly below 3000. But early on you said "in first gear there is a hesitation to rev past beyong 5000 rpm" and then said response above 3000 is "better than ever."

You indicate the roughness and **** response below 3000 is new so perhaps there's something wrong. At low RPM fuel demands are relatively low but cylinder pressures can be high if you're feeding throttle so, if there is an actual running problem, it's likely to be a ignition related; coil boot is leaking spark energy, plug insulator carbon-tracked, gap is fouled etc. If you feel weakness when accelerating -- the 500 has a pretty flat torque curve from 4000 to 8000RPM so it's not really natural to feel it wheezing -- you might look into airflow (clogged air filter or air inlet) or fuel delivery.
In first gear, it is difficult to rev past 5000 rpm because of vibrations. In higher gears the vibrations are less intense hence I can confidently rev past 5000 rpm. All these vibration issues and poor performance started a few 100 miles ago only.

In 2000 rpm in neutral, the mirrors vibrate.I can feel the roughness when I rev in neutral.

Also when I twist the throttle,for eg. in 4th gear at 5000 rpm, the engine sputters for a split second before accelerating.

Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
For a mechanical vibration the easiest thing to check are the engine mounting fasteners as @timur suggests.

Reactions: Sjrookie

Super Moderator
Well, let's have a video of what's going on in neutral. I have a feeling your just coming out of the honeymoon stage and you're starting to really notice some of the little imperfections in your lady's figure, but let's have a look at her.

Reactions: eds and Sjrookie

Registered
Recently I am having rough ride and abysmal throttle response from my 2017 Honda Cbr500R - 3400 miles.
Feeling vibrations as well under 3000 rpm.
Engine, coolant levels ate good.

What could be wrong. 馃槪馃槪馃槪
Use your gears!! I bought my 2013 CB500f when it had done 13,500 km. and it was not happy at such low revs. The only difference in performance that I have noticed after 188,000 km is that will happily cruise in top gear now at about 2,500.revs.

Super Moderator
188,000 kilometers! Holy smokes! You get the golden hiney award!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did the below for the first time on my Cbr and the issues are fixed now :

1) Replaced the battery
2) Adjusted throttle cable
3) Adjusted clutch cable
4) Re-torqued engine mounts

Thank you all for the advices.

Thank you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts