Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts
It would be nice to have a Honda tech chime in on the forum in situations like this, to learn if this a disaster waiting to happen, or a fluke in assembly of a limited number of motorcycles?

15Nm is not much for a 12 mm(?) plug to hold a 10 mm shaft going through both cam rockers, and the exhaust one would be more safe with a left-hand thread (there is a blade on the end of the plug and a groove in the end of the shaft, to prevent the rocker shaft from rotating).
No it does not sound a lot, maybe a mistake in a conversion somewhere? due
to the rockers moving on the shaft there as got to be some tendency for it to
rotate and it's just undoing the cap, certainly something to keep a eye on.

No it does not sound a lot, maybe a mistake in a conversion somewhere? due
to the rockers moving on the shaft there as got to be some tendency for it to
rotate and it's just undoing the cap, certainly something to keep a eye on.
The service manual is very certain on the 15Nm torque, listing it both in the general specs and the specific assembly chapter. It seems to be M12x1.25 threads on the chromed plugs, from the picture in the service manual.

Please don't go berserk on the plugs with a random allen key! My CBR has done more than 10,000 km without anything falling off. I'm here out of curiosity and can't help it :)

If worried about it, use a proper allen socket and a torque wrench.
Anything up to 20Nm should be safe regarding stripping the threads, but don't go beyond that.
IMO and all the usual disclaimers apply.

Auto part Vehicle Car Wheel Engine

Been at the dealers since the 26th Sept, 2013. Dealer found no damage to the engine. Waiting on the valve cover gasket. Part should be in by the 15th of October.

Nice bike, but hard to feel as good as I did the first 400 miles. Shedding parts was something I would have expected from my BMW when I first bought it in its 30th year.

What I don't understand is why Honda isn't more proactive about issues coming from the front lines such as you folks. Why is it you all here know about this issue, but my dealer doesn't...?

Anyone in the Northeast want a good deal on a cb500x; it will have its first service done when I get it back? I have to relocate and don't think I can wait for them to finish this up.

WOW! that is too bad!

I sure am glad I waited to buy the CB500F.

I think I will continue to wait, looks like a QC issue, too much quantity and not enough quality control.

I dont think i could trust a bike that came apart, or left me stranded without a very good easy to fix reason.

When engine's start coming apart on a new model, that is not good.

I will take another look at the CTX or NC

WOW! that is too bad!

I think I will continue to wait, looks like a QC issue, too much quantity and not enough quality control.

I dont think i could trust a bike that came apart, or left me stranded without a very good easy to fix reason.

This plus the valve check at 600 miles really makes one think about this engine. Ran them out the door to meet a deadline and didn't check them out thoroughly. Personally, I give Honda another 6 months before they're out of business completely. This is the straw that broke the camel's back. For decades we've dealt with Honda's poor quality issues. So glad I got rid of mine before the inevitable engine grenade. I'm feeling a strong Buell comeback to the biking world.

Geez just check the tightness of the caps, clean any oil / dirt off with brake cleaner, then put a dab of silicone on each one between cap & head to keep them from loosening again

I checked mine & found tight
Then put a pencil eraser size dab honda bond on side of cap & head
Not a problem since

No big deal - a common practice on the race bike to keep plugs in place (for the things that aren't required to be safety wired)

Okay. Lets not swing to far in the other direction man. Lets keep it real.
Sorry got a bit carried away after reading this :(
WOW! that is too bad!

It's a minor issue with a plug, easy to check, & easily remedied :D

Sorry got a bit carried away after reading this :(

It's a minor issue with a plug, easy to check, & easily remedied :D
In an extremely extremely small number of bikes...

Ninja 300: stalling issue, then two recalls for brakes (caliper, then brake pads) anyone? LOL.

OK, you guys convinced me to walk out the garage and look at my bike. It has 2 miles of the odometer. I rolled it out the dealership a week ago and trailered it home. Haven't even ridden it yet.

The rocker shaft plugs were tight. There is a yellow mark on the outside edge indicating they have not moved since assembly and a blue mark inside the allen portion of plug. My torque wrenched clicked at the proper setting. All that said...the forward plug was sticky with oil residue. Guess I be keeping an eye on it.

Personally, I give Honda another 6 months before they're out of business completely. This is the straw that broke the camel's back. For decades we've dealt with Honda's poor quality issues. So glad I got rid of mine before the inevitable engine grenade. I'm feeling a strong Buell comeback to the biking world.

Have you bumped your head??? You think this recall is going to send Honda broke? :laughing

Buell come back to the biking world?? In America maybe. No where else... It took Buell 10 years to shift 100,000 products. In 2012 alone Honda moved over 4,000,000 of their products. This is hardly a grenade. Its not like the forums are full of people with these issues....

Have you bumped your head??? You think this recall is going to send Honda broke? :laughing

Buell come back to the biking world?? In America maybe. No where else... It took Buell 10 years to shift 100,000 products. In 2012 alone Honda moved over 4,000,000 of their products. This is hardly a grenade. Its not like the forums are full of people with these issues....
Sarcasm and humor is lost on some folks, I suppose...

I along with a few 500R/F owners here in Hong Kong experienced the exact same issue. It's part of the recall Honda issued last year.

Honda did not take me seriously the first time so they simply re-tighten the bolt and send me away. The second visit they finally decided to remove the engine cover and replace the bolt for us and it fixed the problem without any charges.

Personally, I give Honda another 6 months before they're out of business completely. For decades we've dealt with Honda's poor quality issues. I'm feeling a strong Buell comeback to the biking world.
Hmmm... I'm thinking this guy's maybe not the world's best clairvoyant. Perhaps we should start a crowdfunding campaign to get him a new crystal ball? :confused2

Glen

Reactions: hillscbr
There was a recall on the Rocker Arm shaft bolts and seals...was covered for FREE under recall. Check your Honda Dealer and see if your VIN # was in the recall. Best of luck!

81 - 97 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.