Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts
Can't be on top of everything - I feel bad for the manager.

Thais definitely have their own way of working; I don't leave my bike for a minute when they work on it, even if it's only an oil change or a new tire.

Once I hired workers to build a coffee shop. I made marks, showing the workers where the forms for the concrete have to go. While I was on the phone I watched one worker nailing a form into place which was too short. He contemplated what to do, then erased the mark and made one where his form ended. Bingo, problem solved!
Fortunately I caught him doing it and told him to build a form that fits.

My suggestion is that when you have some reliable information that is backed up by other sources, preferably with links to reliable websites, you simply start a new thread and announce it.
That way you help keeping this website believable, respectable and mature. Readers then can take the contents serious.
But if moderators spread rumors they do a disservice to this site, is all I'm saying.
Sorry for going off-topic but since I mentioned posting rumors earlier, here an example of how I would do it:
"Rumors are circulating that Honda will present at least one new motorcycle powered by the 782cc V-4 engine currently found in the European Crossrunner. Expect crank horsepower to be somewhere between 100 and 110bhp. Milan will reveal all in November."
Read more here: Honda About to Unveil New Family of V-4 Powered Motorcycles? « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews
It is also a rumor but at least a motorcycle mag posted it, giving it a certain amount of believability.

yep, they are also talking about a v4 made in Thailand soon as well here.

And speaking of reliable information, did you ask them like you asked me on where did they get the info?
How do you if it is true or not? Did you questions it?:)
Most probably, they heard it from someone like me!
Sorry but, what you linked is not hard info Thump:D

No, it's not hard info.

It's a rumor backed up by an online-mag with a reputation.

That's a bit more reliable than info posted on a website backed up by nothing.

"Most probably, they heard it from someone like me!" You're not serious, right?

Reactions: loserlazer
I used to do a lot of (bicycle) riding up in the Keene & Claremont area - nice roads!

Another awesome route is 119 West into & through S. NH all the way to Brattleboro VT. Great riding the further West you go!
What's the word, JRM? Did you get your bike back? What did the dealer find?

I didn't head out west today. Got waylaid by homeowner duties so I just putted around in the Concord, Carlisle, and Sudbury area. Got eyeballed by a woman in a Mercedes SUV at a traffic light. She looked like she wanted to be sitting on the back of my $6k bike instead of her $100K+ tank with 3 kids.

What's the word, JRM? Did you get your bike back? What did the dealer find?

I didn't head out west today. Got waylaid by homeowner duties so I just putted around in the Concord, Carlisle, and Sudbury area. Got eyeballed by a woman in a Mercedes SUV at a traffic light. She looked like she wanted to be sitting on the back of my $6k bike instead of her $100K+ tank with 3 kids.
Got it back and all is 100%. Posted about it in the X forum.

Just pulled the repair/service order sheet from my bag after getting home today. I noticed something that I had not before. In addition to the work order specifying that rocker arm plug was replaced, the dealership noted the following:

"R&R valve cover to inspect valve train parts, Did check the valve ADJ & it was backwards like Honda Rep said it may be. Adjusted & repaired."

Hmmm.... sounds like there is more to this story than just a rocker arm plug that was not torqued to spec at the factory!!! If anyone wants to take a stab at what the above means, go for it, as a motorcycle mechanic I am not.

Rocker shaft in back to front? don't know if such a thing is possible.
If it was then maybe the cap would bottom on it rather than it's
gasket and seat then when the engine ran the slight turning motion
of the rocker shaft undoes the cap n it falls off?
Or maybe the valve clearances were adjusted the wrong way round
exhaust and inlet, they know more than they are telling do Honda
and may be making punters pay for a expensive first service to put it right.

"valve ADJ" could stand for valve adjustment.

"it was backwards" - meaning someone took the tolerances from the intake and mixed them up with the tolerances of the exhaust?

Just a stab.

OK, so I've pretty much read all seven pages of this thread but I need it summarised. How many of these caps/fittings need checking, where are they and what are they officially called? Appears to be nothing missing from my motor but it's going in for its 600 mile service next Monday and I'd like the dealer to check that all's screwed together properly. Cheers.

I need it summarised. How many of these caps/fittings need checking, where are they and what are they officially called?
Two bolts/plugs on left hand side of the engine - one toward the front of the engine and one toward the rear. If they need to make any adjustments, they'll be touching at least one of these.

The rod that is visible is what the valve rockers pivot on and is called the rocker arm shaft. There is a plug (BOLT, SEALING (12MM) 12207-MGZ-J00) with a gasket (WASHER (12.2X17X1.5) 90418-KYJ-900) that screws into the side of the engine. There is one at the front of the engine for the exhaust valve rockers, and one at the rear of the engine for the intake valve rockers.

The bolts require a 6mm hex key (allen wrench) and should be torqued to 15 Nm / 11 lb ft. They are accessible without removing ANY body work, so it wouldn't hurt for everyone to check that they are tight.

OK, so I've pretty much read all seven pages of this thread but I need it summarised. How many of these caps/fittings need checking, where are they and what are they officially called? Appears to be nothing missing from my motor but it's going in for its 600 mile service next Monday and I'd like the dealer to check that all's screwed together properly. Cheers.
Correct me if I'm wrong but they're the big chrome caps towards the top of the cylinder castings. There are 4 - 2 on either side.

they aren't the large chrome circles. i believe the OP's picture shows the cap already missing. on the left side only you'll see 2 smaller hex head caps. if you don't see them, than panic! if you still have them check the tightness and your good to go. i have a R and no issues.

The four big chrome caps, to on either side of the engine, are NOT the two bolts on the left side of the engine.
The chrome caps look kinda chromy and there are a total of four (4) on the engine. Two (2) on the left PLUS two (2) on the right side. Those add up to four (4) total.
The two (2) bolts are hex bolts and are not on both sides of the engine.
:)

Reactions: CBR_Dave
I just got home and noticed that I smell like oil. Then noticed oil spray all over my bike and three puddles of oil on the floor. Then I noticed the front rocker plug missing and the arm sticking out about a quarter inch. The bike appears to be just about dry of oil except what is sprayed all over it. I have over 3500kms on the bike and wasn't expecting this kind of thing to happen now. The dealership is closed so I will be calling them first thing tomorrow to get the bike picked up. Shitty.

I just got home and noticed that I smell like oil. Then noticed oil spray all over my bike and three puddles of oil on the floor. Then I noticed the front rocker plug missing and the arm sticking out about a quarter inch. The bike appears to be just about dry of oil except what is sprayed all over it. I have over 3500kms on the bike and wasn't expecting this kind of thing to happen now. The dealership is closed so I will be calling them first thing tomorrow to get the bike picked up. Shitty.
Thats a major crap, Hope it gets sorted properly seems quite a few happened to now.
Reminds me I need to check mine to! eeeek

It would be nice to have a Honda tech chime in on the forum in situations like this, to learn if this a disaster waiting to happen, or a fluke in assembly of a limited number of motorcycles?

15Nm is not much for a 12 mm(?) plug to hold a 10 mm shaft going through both cam rockers, and the exhaust one would be more safe with a left-hand thread (there is a blade on the end of the plug and a groove in the end of the shaft, to prevent the rocker shaft from rotating).

61 - 80 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.