Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts
god no more talk about the holocaust and fake moon landings (im not saying there fake!!)

Dealer is stepping up; they're sending a truck out to pick up the bike and are going to completely disassemble the engine to figure out why this happened and check for damage. Service dept. manager was very alarmed by this and is going to report all findings back to Honda.

Cycles 128 in Beverly, MA has done a great job here.

that is where i bought my bike my salesman was a dbag good luck with the service team sorry to hear about this

Glad to hear the dealer is taking care of you when some would do as little as possible. Hope they fix her up nice!

Called Honda North America. Filled them in on the issue and have been assigned a case manager. Told them to check out the CBR500R forum for additional feedback!

Will hear back within 2 days from case manager and will report back in.

How far is the rocker shaft sticking out? Can you take a close-up pic of it?

If it's barely sticking out, they need to tap it back in, and replace the plug.
Would take 10 minutes.

No need to disassemble the whole thing!

I know what the problem is. Someone at the factory-level is not checking the torque on these plugs during assembly!

Nearly all fasteners on mine have a pen mark on them including rocker plugs, this is done as part of the pre delivery inspection. There are others that have paint marks done at factory i guess.
I would be asking dealer if they were part of the check or not.

merged the threads.

i think the problem is for never models only.
Mine is also rock solid and still has the green mark points and they exactly match.
I strongly suggest all new 500 series owners to get it checked right away and better doing it while buying the bike.

merged the threads.

i think the problem is for never models only.
Mine is also rock solid and still has the green mark points and they exactly match.
I strongly suggest all new 500 series owners to get it checked right away and better doing it while buying the bike.
Some Thai workers need to be taken out and given a good thrashing !

Discussion starter · #55 ·
Ok, so the bike is back. After speaking with the dealer this appears to be happening only on the CB500x engines and not the F or the R models. Honda happened to be onsite at the dealer when my bike came in and confirmed this with the dealer at it appears at least in the US that there will be a notice sent to other US dealers to check/replace the rocker arm shaft plug.

There was no damage to the engine and in fact runs great, better than (of course) when the plug was missing. The part numbers that were replaced were:

12207-MGZ-J00 Bolt,Sealing (12MM)
90418-KY J-900 Washer (12.2X17X1.5)

They opened up the engine and verified the rocker shaft was not bent and re-adjusted. Took about 3.5 hours of labor and all covered by the warranty.

So if anything else comes up I will be sure to keep you all informed.

I'm curious, how many miles did you have when it fell out

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

My bike only had 148 miles on it when I noticed that the plug had fallen out, and I'm guessing it fell out around mile 140.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH: All of my nuts (okay, that sounds bad), including the rocker arm shaft plug/nut, WERE marked with a green slash.

A case manager from Honda North America got back to me today. They told me that a small batch of engines from the CB/CBR500 line had nuts/plugs that were NOT torqued to spec at the factory. Lucky me - I got one! :rolleyes:

BE AWARE: I was told that these engines (as we already know) are used in all 3 bikes, so be aware that your F or R might be affected.

The New England rep is going to be at my dealer tomorrow documenting the mishap and reporting all findings back to Honda. I told them to read this forum for additional instances/feedback as well.

Sand/Aqua Mantis: The shaft was sticking out by about 1/4 - 1/3 of an inch or so. The engine, at all times, even when idling before being put away for the night when I noticed the problem, sounded 100% fine, so I'm hopeful that a little tapa-tapa-tapa and a new plug will solve the problem and I'll have my bike back for the weekend. I'll keep everyone updated though.

Oh yes - it's nice to have my normal account back! Not sure what that lock out was about :D

I'm hopeful that a little tapa-tapa-tapa and a new plug will solve the problem and I'll have my bike back for the weekend. I'll keep everyone updated though.
Here's hoping you can ride this weekend. The weather is supposed to be quite nice in our neck of the woods. I'm planning on a good round trip Saturday morning either out west toward Worcester or due north(westish) to the wilds of Keene or Claremont, New Hampshire.

Here's hoping you can ride this weekend. The weather is supposed to be quite nice in our neck of the woods. I'm planning on a good round trip Saturday morning either out west toward Worcester or due north(westish) to the wilds of Keene or Claremont, New Hampshire.
I used to do a lot of (bicycle) riding up in the Keene & Claremont area - nice roads!

Another awesome route is 119 West into & through S. NH all the way to Brattleboro VT. Great riding the further West you go!

talked with Honda head mechanic yesterday at Honda Bigwing Bangkok during my 12,000 km service.
It happened to a couple of bikes in Thailand too they said.
But good news; Honda Thailand factory is aware of the problem as they have received reports from USA and also from Europe about this already also they will report it one more time to be sure but they do not look super concerned about it somehow, they said, honda will fix this fast.
so, Honda Thailand knows the problem it means they will torque it nicely and possibly fire the guy there doing this and his manager, classic in Thailand!
still, check that nut before sealing the deal with the dealer!

41 - 60 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.