Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Rocker shaft Oil Leak

45K views 96 replies 42 participants last post by  CBR500R_Mike 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Just so happens that I was going to post to this original thread http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/1536-cb500x-engine-failure.html

But it was closed due to trolling. Either case I just purchased a 2013 CB500X and has the exact same problem in the same location as described in the thread. The bike has only 37 miles on it and noticed this morning a small pool of oil on the garage floor. Oil all along the side of the crank shaft and the origin of the oil is the missing cap.

I am quite surprised as well that this is happening and maybe with more bikes than people know. What also worries me is that the recall checks are not getting to the dealers.

In either case I have requested my dealer pick up the bike and fix the issue. Hopefully all will go well. If not I am sure I will be back on this thread to voice my opinions and sending emails and voicemails to Honda.

Attached pic shows location of the oil and second is showing the spread of the oil on the engine.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, looks like the same issue to me.

Good luck in getting this sorted and hopefully an extended warranty or similar compensation.

Maybe we could do with a sticky warning for new owners to check the caps as soon as they get the bike? It's a simple enough check to do.

Above all remember that once sorted you have got a great bike!!

Oh and welcome to the forum!!

Reactions: Thump
#7 ·
hope all get resolved satisfactorily and promptly for you... and that nobody brings up moon landings again :D:p
That's a good point.

But you know, we have a LOUNGE here, so we can talk about other subjects.
As far as "moon landings" goes... the interwebz is FULL of information on that subject.
People can do their own research, and discuss it all they want to.

It's nice if all the threads would stay on-topic, but this doesn't always happen.

#8 ·
I asked honda mechs building the new cbr650, and they surprised a lot one they hear this problem happening! This is serious indeed.
I would like to move this as sticky but the name of this thread does not fully give the problem. 'Oil leak' does not specify it fully.

#11 · (Edited)
You seem to be looking over the shoulders of the "honda mechs building the new cbr650" and since you mentioned THE NEW CBR650 again why don't you fill us in on the whens and hows?
Or do you just enjoy teasing us?

#9 ·
Every one needs to check these bolts, if it is missing don't ride it ring the dealer and tell them to come for it,
if this bolt cap what ever you want to call it goes missing and the shaft moves first of all the shaft and it's
mountings/bearings will be subject to bending forces
they were not intended to have, if it moves far enough to allow the rocker to fall off the end
of the shaft then if you are lucky the engine will stop or go onto one pot but if you are unlucky
and it gets stuck in the wrong place jams a camshaft not only is it likely to wreck the cylinder
head and cam drive but valves are likely to hit pistons and do the engine no good at all..
I suggest you check them now and report any loose ones to your dealer, get them to re toque
them up if it's not reported Honda wont know the extent of the problem,

#10 ·
Please excuse my ignorance, but it sounds like there is a plug
On either side of the bike? Can you please post pics of them both?

Cheers,

Dave

#13 ·
No more merging please!

#17 ·
I recommend getting your bikes picked up of you have the issue. I risked it and rode almost 30 miles to get there and indeed the rocker shaft had moved a noticeable amount. A few more mm and the rocker arm would have dropped out and rendered the engine useless.

#18 ·
Please excuse my ignorance, but it sounds like there is a plug
On either side of the bike? Can you please post pics of them both?

Cheers,

Dave

#19 ·
That's because there's a cylinder on either side of the bike! :)

#23 ·
I checked both my rocker shaft plugs & they were tight. (6mm Allen wrench IIRC)
then did an old racer trick on them - put a small dab of silicone on plug & case to keep them from backing out.
Must be clean of dirt & oil for silicon to stick (sprayed quick drying electrical contact cleaner on plugs & surrounding area to quickly clean & dry)

Will drill & safety wire them to each other when I have more time

Thanks to the guys that posted the problem.
I wouldn't have checked them otherwise

#28 ·
well, what do you want me to say thump?
Exactly what I asked - when and how and anything else.
names of the people i talked so they can get fired?
Why would I want to know any names?
they tell me things and i post here.
What things do they tell you?
i did not go to the factory. but i will :D
Readers get curious if you repeatedly mention the "new 650", that is understandable. If there is talk about down payments and color choices people want to know what the deal is.
Either you have reliable sources and pass on the facts or you don't; then you should not bring up the topic.
Who else has information about this "new 650"?

Reactions: CBR_Dave
#30 · (Edited)
My suggestion is that when you have some reliable information that is backed up by other sources, preferably with links to reliable websites, you simply start a new thread and announce it.
That way you help keeping this website believable, respectable and mature. Readers then can take the contents serious.
But if moderators spread rumors they do a disservice to this site, is all I'm saying.

Reactions: hpholm
#62 ·
Sorry for going off-topic but since I mentioned posting rumors earlier, here an example of how I would do it:
"Rumors are circulating that Honda will present at least one new motorcycle powered by the 782cc V-4 engine currently found in the European Crossrunner. Expect crank horsepower to be somewhere between 100 and 110bhp. Milan will reveal all in November."
Read more here: Honda About to Unveil New Family of V-4 Powered Motorcycles? « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews
It is also a rumor but at least a motorcycle mag posted it, giving it a certain amount of believability.

#31 ·
Here is an update. Not much to tell other than the dealership picked up the bike on Tuesday and they are still working on it. Mainly waiting for parts. Either case I am going to ask for a discounted extended warranty as I know I have an engine that was problematic right from the start.

As far as the dealership has told me there was no damage as I stopped riding when I noticed the issue at 47 miles of use. But better to be safe with some sort of warranty than nothing at all after a year. Will keep everyone posted when I get more information and detail.

#32 ·
Rocker Plug Fell OUT!!!!

Thank god I read this forum daily.

Yes, it happened to me too; I heard a small "clink-clink" while riding tonight. Sounded like a nut falling down the side of the engine.

Upon further inspection post ride (about 8 miles later) - the Rocker plug was/is gone. The rod is still there and there's just a small trickle of oil coming down the side of the engine, but needless to say, I will not be riding the CB500X tomorrow.

Going to take the T-Dub out for a quick spin to see if I can find the nut out on the road as I'm pretty sure I know when it came out.

Had it not been for this forum, I'd be clueless as to what just happened as the engine still sounds 100% normal.

I just hope that I caught it before the rocker arm came out of spec and did any damage inside.

Never a dull moment!!!

#33 ·
Rocker Plug Fell OUT!!!!

Thank god I read this forum daily.

Yes, it happened to me too; I heard a small "clink-clink" while riding tonight. Sounded like a nut falling down the side of the engine.

Upon further inspection post ride (about 8 miles later) - the Rocker plug was/is gone. The rod is still there and there's just a small trickle of oil coming down the side of the engine, but needless to say, I will not be riding the CB500X tomorrow.

Going to take the T-Dub out for a quick spin to see if I can find the nut out on the road as I'm pretty sure I know when it came out.

Had it not been for this forum, I'd be clueless as to what just happened as the engine still sounds 100% normal.

I just hope that I caught it before the rocker arm came out of spec and did any damage inside.

Never a dull moment!!!:(

#34 ·
Man, I thought you would have checked those the first day you had your bike!

It is a common problem on the X models. Several people have had this happen to them.

( You aren't going to go back to HONDA and demand a new bike ?!?!? )
:D

If the shaft didn't come out, you are okay. You just need to put the plug back in.
If you can't find it on the road, your dealer can get you a new plug.

DO NOT start the engine until you get that plug put back in! And check the other one to make sure it is tight.

Somebody at the factory is forgetting to tighten these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.