Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any Aussies on here....what's your take on the rules for Filtering and lane splitting?

Not sure I can really make out what I'm allowed to do. This seems a little vague!

Lane splitting/filtering
It is dangerous to overtake between two vehicles travelling
side by side-in-the same direction on a multilane road,
irrespective of whether the vehicles are moving (lane splitting)
or stationary(lane filtering). The only exception to this is if the
vehicles travelling side-by-side are motorcycles.
Lane splitting or filtering riders may commit offences, such
as failing to stay within a single marked lane, keeping a safe
distance when overtaking or overtaking to the left of a vehicle.
It is also dangerous when the traffic is congested or stationary
(e.g. peak hour or stopped for traffic lights etc.). The handle
bar only has to clip a car’s exterior mirror and the motorcycle
rider will lose control. Drivers can be taken by surprise,
especially when moving, and can make reflex manoeuvres that
result in a crash.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I read it as filtering is not allowed but two motorcycles are allowed to travel in the same lane side by side.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Lane splitting is illegal. Filtering is not specifically stated as "illegal", so you can do it but there are a variety of common road rules you must obey while doing it, and its easy to get busted for any one of them (eg you cant do it in a bicycle lane, unless it is to get around a right turning vehicle and travel <50m in the bike lane)...generally, unless you are being a nob a copper will not take any notice.

However, it is being evaluated in NSW in a specific locations(s)...if it "works out" (ie. traffic flow increases, and no jump in accidents), then they will formally legalise filtering. The rest of the country will probably follow suit.

Dave

Reactions: OzJuIcE

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I was riding yesterday and was stuck in a large queue of traffic. I persevered for a while but once It was safe and had heaps of space and no oncoming traffic i passed the cars. As I came to the front of the line, the last car put out his arm to make me slow and stop. Almost as if it was unsafe. I think the guy was butthurt or something as he made me stop but it was clear. No idea what his problem was. Not as if I'm causing anyone any dramas.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Its currently being tested in NSW, but is it OK in Queensland????

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Well I was riding yesterday and was stuck in a large queue of traffic. I persevered for a while but once It was safe and had heaps of space and no oncoming traffic i passed the cars. As I came to the front of the line, the last car put out his arm to make me slow and stop. Almost as if it was unsafe. I think the guy was butthurt or something as he made me stop but it was clear. No idea what his problem was. Not as if I'm causing anyone any dramas.
The guy was a wanker. Typical of the Aussie "hey that's my spot" mentality on the road. You being at the front insulted his idiotic sense of "I was here first and so nobody should be in front of me" despite the fact that you in no way will affect the speed the traffic flows adversely.

In fact, studies in the EU have shown that if 1 in 10 vehicles on the road were 'cycles, then traffic flow would *speed up* by around 30%...they take up zero foot print when filtered! Extra despite, is that you being at the front is (a) safer for you and (b) will have a dramatic impact on you moving through the traffic and shorten your travel time, and (c) the above re traffic flow. Same idiots see you filtering and then nudge their car over a foot to block you. Self centred morons.

Same as those morons who sit 5 kph under the speed limit, then when you you try to over take theyflatten it so you can't...and then slow back down to below the speed limit as soon as you stop trying to over take.

Id probably have stopped and given him a "high five" and filtered past when he pulled his hand in. Then took off very very slowly when the light changed. Moron didnt even think that he was specifically breaking the law when he stuck his hand out the window!

/rant over.

Reactions: OzJuIcE

·
Registered
565 Posts
Lane splitting/filtering
Lane splitting or filtering riders may commit offences, such
as failing to stay within a single marked lane, keeping a safe
distance when overtaking or overtaking to the left of a vehicle
Think that states it's illegal under those parameters.. Guess overtaking to the right (via the oncoming lane) is allowed provided it's safe to do so.. but the list isn't clear as it states "such as"..in other words giving examples not all the options / rules..

best check with the police, if you can be bothered, to get it cleared up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts