Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone have familiarity/knowledge/experience with this chain? I thought I'd found a pretty good budget option from a reputable manufacturer, but their website lists the max cc rating to be 400cc, although the max horsepower rating is 60hp. :unsure:

Does the engine displacement actually affect the chain (i.e. chain is a bad match for the 471cc engine), or is it more a matter of how much power is being applied (i.e. chain is a good match for the 46~50hp engine)?

My guess is that the power being produced, and not the size of the power source, would be the determining factor, and that the somewhat confusing specs are just reflective of the tendency of displacement and power to be closely linked on most motorcycle engines. But I hope someone who has more than a guess can clarify it for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
RK makes other O and X ring 520 chains. They all have higher breaking strength than the budget chain and are rated at 800cc or higher.

I expect you get what you pay for.

I've never heard of anyone getting 20,000 miles (RK warranty claim) from their chain on our bikes unless they use a chain oiler (which keeps the chain lubed after the seals fail?). I got 12,000 on the Honda factory O ring chain.
Reading the RK chain warranty, it covers "defects", not wear. Aha!

·
Registered
2014 500R
407 Posts
I've never heard of anyone getting 20,000 miles (RK warranty claim) from their chain on our bikes unless they use a chain oiler (which keeps the chain lubed after the seals fail?). I got 12,000 on the Honda factory O ring chain.
... err ... never say never? ;-) ... 24,000 miles and counting on the Honda factory O-ring chain. Did not use chain oiler either. And i never clean the chain with a solvent cleaner (from my past experience, solvent cleaning did not seem to extend the life of O-ring chains). Just wipe with a rag and keep oiling. It is still in the 'green zone' (marker) but due to uneven wear, it is near its end-of-life (at least that's what i keep saying but the **** thing keeps wanting to live on, LOL). It is not a good chain. One link had a 'very tough kink' some time ago. Instead of replacing the lot, i replaced the bad link with a Clip (DiD original) as a temporary measure and curiosity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. This is the response I received from RK.

"So in this particular situation, the 520SO model is under rated for your cc rating but is still ok to use on your bike application, since this bike HP is under the SO max Horsepower rating.. the next model up from the SO is our XSO model which has higher ratings on CC and HP. It is a stronger chain and you will also more than likely get more life out of the XSO than the SO model.."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts