Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all use to clean up the "gunk" left on your rims after a bit of neglect and spray off of the chain?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I use acf50 don’t get much gunk on rear wheel as iv got a scottoiler fitted

·
Registered
388 Posts
I use Kerosene for cleaning my chain, sprockets, and surrounding areas. And I do it often enough to avoid the need to "deep-clean" the chain. A kerosene soaked rag for chain and sprockets... followed by a good wipe off with a cleaner rag.. then re-lubricate the chain about every 600-700 miles seems to do the trick. I use a damp Kerosene cloth to wipe over the wheels and swingarm anytime I see accumulated grime, then wipe again with a clean cloth.
Folks will argue that Kerosene can do damage to "sealed O-ring chains".. but I've never had a problem. Since it's recommended in the Service and Owner's Manuals for my Suzuki with an OEM sealed chain, I'm comfortable using it.

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,193 Posts
Get a couple of microfiber towels and a can of WD40. Spray a bit of WD on one towel and use it to wipe the rim down. Follow-up with the 2nd dry towel to remove any remaining residue.

A little WD goes a long way. Don't get any on the tire...

·
Registered
2 Posts
What do you all use to clean up the "gunk" left on your rims after a bit of neglect and spray off of the chain?

Thank you in advance!

I don't really get the gunk build up as I use Chain Wax. Works great, no fling off and no gunk. I do occasionally wipe the rear wheel with WD40 on a old rag. WD40 is also great for removing stickers.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I also use WD40 to clean up junk and the chain and then Motul Chain lube paste as that does not spread all around like when using sprayed chain lubes.

·
Registered
690 Posts
WD-40 is a water displacement & solvent so it is very good for cleaning those two items, but it is NOT a lubricant. Use a good chain lube (I use Motul) after using WD-40 or some other solvent/cleaner (I use plain old cheap Kerosene).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Actually you could use WD-40 as a last resort lubricant but it only lasts for 100 miles or so chain use. Paste lasts for 500+ miles, I try to clean it every 500 miles, but when you are on the road you make compromises.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Speaking of cleaning/lubing chains while on a road trip and no center stand, the Grand Pitstop Motorcycle Whell cleaning stand works really well, it's lightweight so you could drop it in your luggage.

I'm also a lazy bum so I mark the chain starting point with a red marker pen so I know when I've done a turn for cleaning and lubing.

PS: Also the chain lubricant manufacturers love the YouTube videos with instructions how to spray the chain for minutes and minutes... Totally unnecessary.

·
Registered
564 Posts
WD-40 is a water displacement & solvent so it is very good for cleaning those two items, but it is NOT a lubricant.
From the WD 40 website:
A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION
Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As I wrote, WD-40 is better than nothing but chain lubricants are not expensive and you could find them even in car spare part stores.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts