Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I’m new to this forum.
I wanted to ask advice on a 2019 CB500f with ABS I was looking at with 300 miles.

1) is a price of $5300 a good deal for a bike with this low miles ? I didn’t find too many other models for sale in this year to compare. I know MSRP is around $6500.

2) I did my MSF test on a Harley street 500 where the riding position was relatively neutral and the legs remained perpendicular to the floor. Since this is what I was used to, I’ve been primarily looking at standard bikes until this CB500f came on my radar. I don’t want to be leaned over too much with any bike. I noticed the footrests are angled on this model which is different than I had practiced in. Is this comfortable for short/long rides ? Is it a natural feeling ? Can the feet slide down or do you put enough pressure to prevent that?

thank you in advance!!!
Much appreciated

·
Registered
2019 Rebel 300A/2020 CB500F A
54 Posts
Not sure how tall you are, that will make a difference.

At 6'1, I find this bike is a good fit, but only just. The legs are bent on an angle less than 90 degrees for sure, but you do sit nice and high that it's not really bothersome on the knees or legs. My lower body is perfectly happy, but I think this particular model would be great with a set of risers that would make it feel like you are perfectly upright. I find myself hunched over (even with long arms), and most of my weight ends up being concentrated on my wrists which does hurt after a while. Again, risers would absolutely fix that, no doubt. It is a sportier stance overall than the Street 500, so you can't really compare.

In my opinion, the CB500X would be the ideal upright stance, but that depends on what you're looking for, and if you are comfortable/confidant with sitting high up. To me, height is not a problem, and I can easily flat-foot it on any bike, but I didn't like the overall X styling over the F.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure how tall you are, that will make a difference.

At 6'1, I find this bike is a good fit, but only just. The legs are bent on an angle less than 90 degrees for sure, but you do sit nice and high that it's not really bothersome on the knees or legs. My lower body is perfectly happy, but I think this particular model would be great with a set of risers that would make it feel like you are perfectly upright. I find myself hunched over (even with long arms), and most of my weight ends up being concentrated on my wrists which does hurt after a while. Again, risers would absolutely fix that, no doubt. It is a sportier stance overall than the Street 500, so you can't really compare.

In my opinion, the CB500X would be the ideal upright stance, but that depends on what you're looking for, and if you are comfortable/confidant with sitting high up. To me, height is not a problem, and I can easily flat-foot it on any bike, but I didn't like the overall X styling over the F.
I see. I’m a shorter rider at 5’5. I’m thankful for all the wonderful information you just shared. 🙏

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,235 Posts
Check out cycle-ergo.com

Select the 2013 CB500F and the 2014 Street 500 and enter your height. It'll give you a decent pictorial idea of the differences in the bikes' rider triangles.

Having said that, the CB500F is one of the most comfortable, relaxed standard bikes available. I think you'd be comfortable on one. You should sit on one to get a feeling for how its 31" seat height would work with your inseam and how comfortable your feet touch the ground when stopped. (You can get lowering links for the suspension to give you some more margin if need be...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check out cycle-ergo.com

Select the 2013 CB500F and the 2014 Street 500 and enter your height. It'll give you a decent pictorial idea of the differences in the bikes' rider triangles.

Having said that, the CB500F is one of the most comfortable, relaxed standard bikes available. I think you'd be comfortable on one. You should sit on one to get a feeling for how its 31" seat height would work with your inseam and how comfortable your feet touch the ground when stopped. (You can get lowering links for the suspension to give you some more margin if need be...)
Thank you so much! This site is awesome. Yes I will take your advice.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You easily can raise the OEM handlebars 30mm by use of inexpensive (under $20 USD) bar risers from E-bay. I did this and it made a positive difference in my riding position. Knight Design sells rider footrests that are about 1.5" lower. About $150, but not cheap imports. Good stuff. I'm not using them on my 2017 CB-500F model, but if I wanted lower footrests, I'd go with Knight Designs. 1.5" can make a very large difference for riders with inseams over 32".

I also fitted a Russell "Day Long" saddle to my bike. Transformed it to a lovely, comfortable touring bike. Also a 17T gearbox sprocket to reduce engine rpm at 60 mph by about 600 rpm. Makes a less "busy" sounding engine.

You want more? A Wilbers shock absorber made to my specific riding requirements and low weight. The OEM shock absorber might as well be welded rigid with my 134# on the seat. No longer a problem.

I'm known for being a bit of a miser, but I have had many motorcycles in my long life and the CB-500 struck me as a very well-made, well-designed bike and I felt it worth the extra money to make it right for me

Ralph

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
15 Posts
The CB500F puts your feet under you rather than in front of you, which should take some of the pressure off your butt and make them more comfortable. You also want to be leaning forward a bit to offset wind load, particularly at highway speeds.

The 500s are very, very refined bikes. You don't often find them on the used market, because people who buy them typically keep them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts