Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well times come,
picked up my bike this morning from my dealer enjoyed my first go on the bike (or any road bike for that matter) in the pouring rain, but weather cleared up as I got close to home the the ride continued.
Firstly, I'll start with I love this bike, they way it looks, rides, goes and stops. Honda got the balance between easy to ride and fun spot on. power is always there and bike can be ridden in nearly any rpm, it's very forgiving for learners. I'm not going to go too much into handling as this is my first road bike so I have nothing to compare too, but I'll say for a first timer had no issues at all. Easy to turn and maneuver, within spending 10 mins on the bike felt right at home and not bothered by any obstacles in my way, round abouts etc.
It was windy today in Sydney and the bike was fine at highway speeds, felt my helmet get blown around but the bike stayed true with minimal input from me. It also has more than enough power/torque to get upto highway speed and overtake with ease.
Can't comment too much on brakes as haven't pushed the bike hard enough too really gauge their performance to be honest, but they are forgiving and do stop u in a hurry if needed.
Ok time for the negatives, the exhaust to way too quiet IMO and that's it, love everything else bout the bike. I am so so so glad I made the decision to purchase this bike, perfect first bike. I believe only people expecting supersport bike performance will be unhappy with this bike, but they are in the wrong market anyway.
Cheers,
Martin :D

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Thx for the review. Another satisfied customer it appears. I like the exhaust sound. That said, its most likely because I had a Yosh system on my 250. I admit I eventually tired of the dirtbike drone on long rides. I'm looking forward to a quieter exhaust for this season.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dealer told me I'm first registered owner of a cbr500 in oz, can't really prove it but I think it's pretty cool either way lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

Bike looks great...congratulations!

BTW, what's your height/weight? Does it feel small or cramped at all?

Trying to get a feel for the size of the bike.

Thanks and enjoy that sweet new ride!:D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My dealer told me I'm first registered owner of a cbr500 in oz, can't really prove it but I think it's pretty cool either way lol
Well, there are none at all in SA as they are not in dealerships yet!

Enjoy that sweet ride!

Dave

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree with the exhaust being quiet. It reminds me of the spaced ships from the old "Jetsons" cartoon, kinda like a long fart underwater or something :)
Im 6'4" 260lbs and feel quite comfy on my new bike. I am used to dirt bikes so its weird to stand and not feel anything under me... other than that, Im pretty pleased.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with the exhaust being quiet. It reminds me of the spaced ships from the old "Jetsons" cartoon, kinda like a long fart underwater or something :)
Im 6'4" 260lbs and feel quite comfy on my new bike. I am used to dirt bikes so its weird to stand and not feel anything under me... other than that, Im pretty pleased.
wow... 6'4'' is ridiculousness....lol tall as **** im taller than most people around and im 5'10''ish

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the comments and the review was my pleasure.
I'm 180cm tall weigh 84kg, and feel fine on the bike, but once again this is my first road bike so nothing to compare too for comfort.
Anyway woke up to perfect Aussie weather so going to make the most of it
Cheers!!!

Ps. Love the jetson's space ship comment, that's exactly what it sounds like under 6k rpms, once u get on it sounds ok but low revs it's a jetson's space ship all day lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for sharing, love the picture of it at the beach. Spokane won't be that sunny and warm for another two months at least, though.

I believe only people expecting supersport bike performance will be unhappy with this bike
I've seen some feedback from sport bike people that has been leaning toward negative, but the above quote puts my mind at ease. As a new rider, I just want this bike to be a good learner that I won't want to ditch 10 months later.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Thanks for sharing, love the picture of it at the beach. Spokane won't be that sunny and warm for another two months at least, though.

I've seen some feedback from sport bike people that has been leaning toward negative, but the above quote puts my mind at ease. As a new rider, I just want this bike to be a good learner that I won't want to ditch 10 months later.
This is my exact feeling. Glad I'm not the only one

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think alot of people either think this bike will be too much like a cbr250 or a real crappy version of a supersport, but it right in the middle.
i think a learner/beginner rider will apriciate this bike in all areas as our rider skills arent really going to rerveal too many weak points of the bike.
when the day comes that the handling, braking, power etc. become a issue i think its time for a new bike (supersport etc.) anyway, i know with me it will be a while. even then if funds permit, i would love to keep the cbr500 as a everyday bike and buy a supersport for the weekend/track.

Reactions: Goalier95

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Also, not everyone's goal is to ride a SS. Many on the 250 forum are very happy with the 250 and I think we will find the same scenario with this 500 series. It fills the niche. This bike is far from the supersport category. It's sporty looking with enough hp and fun factor without getting the rider into trouble. It can be a learner while providing more experienced riders a good time. Personally I think I'm embarking on a true love affair with my 500ra :p

I'm not going to compare it to any other category. That's rather silly. I will rate it to my taste in what I want in a bike...looks, performance, does it meet my riding needs and the type of riding I do, is servicing inexpensive, is insurance reasonable? Do I enjoy pride of ownership with this bike? Yes on all counts :D:cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, not everyone's goal is to ride a SS. Many on the 250 forum are very happy with the 250 and I think we will find the same scenario with this 500 series. It fills the niche. This bike is far from the supersport category. It's sporty looking with enough hp and fun factor without getting the rider into trouble. It can be a learner while providing more experienced riders a good time. Personally I think I'm embarking on a true love affair with my 500ra :p

I'm not going to compare it to any other category. That's rather silly. I will rate it to my taste in what I want in a bike...looks, performance, does it meet my riding needs and the type of riding I do, is servicing inexpensive, is insurance reasonable? Do I enjoy pride of ownership with this bike? Yes on all counts :D:cool:
couldnt agree more.
you're right not everyones goal is to ride a supersport, but i think alot of people will be using the cbr500 as a stepping stone to the bigger bikes and i think it does that really well. i would love too ride and expirience a supersport and plan to do so once i have the skills. my dealer even commented that there was a lack bikes that allowed new rdiers to gain enough expirience to handle a sports bikes, he said the 500 is as good as it gets for countires with licence restrictions.
anyway forget the super sports the cbr500 class leading imo, and does what its designed to do peerfect.

Reactions: CBR_Dave

·
Registered
157 Posts
When i compare the specs of this bike to my previous bike. (prior to cbr250)
On paper the 500 seems like it be a very nice ride.

previous was a Piaggio X9. 460cc. 45nm torque. 39hp. That x9 was super fast and would cruise at 130kph(80mph) all day and top speed of 157kph (98mph.) weighed about the same as the Honda.

anyone have and data on what speeds for the cbr500? (not top speed) like what is the rpm at for hwy cruise speed of 75mph(120kph)

the 1st 2 gears on the 250 are pretty short. What speed are you at when you are ready to shift to 3rd? (as a comparison i saw the Suzuki SV650 and Kawasaki Ninja 650 were at 145kph(90mph) in 2nd at redline)

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is my exact feeling. Glad I'm not the only one
At least is isn't as "bad" as getting a Honda CBR250, I think the CBR500 is the ideal bike to go with if you want something not over the top but just right for fun and regular daily riding.

Tough to say it will be a bike you will end up getting rid of within a year of purchasing it but being a CBR500 it can't be that bad!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
From watching and timing some of the videos on line I have seen:

1. 0-100kph is about 5 seconds.
2. 0-130 is about 9 seconds, even with a bit of a slow take off, and not revving it out too much (changing at ~7k rpm)
3. 120-150kph roll on takes about 6-7 seconds max. Easily gets to 160kph and will push to 180kph.

Pretty sweet,

Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts