Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

New member! I have a 2012 CBR250r I've been riding for a year now, I commute in the Bay Area so it's a lot of highway for me. Lately I've been noticing the need for more power especially on the highway (as I find myself maxing out the throttle often) and I wanted to get some feedback from riders who upgraded to a CBR500r from a CBR250r as I'm considering an upgrade.

- How is the power difference? Are you reaching highway speeds noticeably faster?

- Ergonomics, does your seating position on a CBR500r feel better or worse compared to the 250?

- It gets pretty windy on the 101. I'm sure most CBR250r riders notice when a strong gust of wind forces them to lean more to stay in a lane. Is this less noticeable on the 500?

- On average how many miles are you getting per gallon?

- Lastly do you feel you made a better purchase buying a 500cc than a 650cc bike? (Usable power and a little more, room to grow)

- One minor thing, is it a bitch to replace the windshield on the 500? On the 250 you practically have to take the whole thing apart.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Good questions!

·
Registered
157 Posts
well, misleading thread title but:

i am eagerly awaiting the real world reviews from the chosen few that got the 500's.
Your question about ergo could be phrased better. For some "worse" would be a more upright ergo and for others a lean in more than the cbr250 would be worse.

I am in the category of if the CBR500r makes me lean in more it would be worse. would want more upright.

Your question about the 500 or 650 as an upgrade is something i am wrestling with.
For maybe $1500 more i can get a Ninja 650 or SV650 and have much more power and not much more weight. The Ninja is only 30lb more than the cbr500.
Big factor in this is insurance. There is no diff btwn the 500 or 650. I would be in next tier (401cc to 750cc) so may as well get the 650.

I would be interesting in hearing what the fit and finish is like. It has been reported it is better than the 250 but would like to hear it from rider first hand.
Also seeing that the redline is only 8500 is a concern. I wonder what the rpm is at when cruising at 130kph.

not sure i am liking the new dash on the 500. do not like that they regressed and now have a dipstick instead of sight glass for oil checking.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just bought my CBR500R yesterday after a full year with a CBR250R (1300 miles). The 250 was my first bike and I really did love it, but going on the freeway was really a bear. I live in the Bay Area and if you're familiar with riding on the 101 freeway you know that it's a pretty windy corridor. I initially wanted the CBR600RR more for its esthetics than anything else, it's an insanely sexy bike, however the insurance on it for me would be ~$2K so really not practical. That's where the 500 came in. I wasn't 100% certain before getting it whether or not it would provide the antidote to the "rag doll" effect I would get every day on the 250 while on the freeway. I have to say it most certainly does.

If you feel like you've reached the limits of your 250 and would like to just a bit more performance from your motorcycle then I'd say going with a 500, specifically the CBR500R is a sure bet. The riding experience between the two is really night and day, I'm still amazed. First of all the 500 is FAR smoother, noticeably stable and literally purrs compared to the 250. I really didn't realize until now that the 250 sounded more like a weed wacker, while the 500 sounds like a sport bike should sound. The increased power is very noticeable but not overwhelming at all. The gear ranges are much wider so you change gears far less than on the 250. It's also noticeably heavier but not in a bad way and I'm pretty sure I'll get used to that very soon.

Overall i really have 0 regrets. It's like you don't know what you've been missing until you finally get the 500. The dashboard is really neat being all digital and it shows live mpg and it also has hazard lights which I didn't even know motorcycles had until this one. I could probably go on and on about it but for what it's worth I wholeheartedly recommend it. I was nervous and skeptical at first like most previous 250 riders but this gal fits the bill exactly. That said some folks have been asking if they should start with a 500, personally if I had to do it over again, I'd still start off with the 250, then go to the 500 so that's the course I'd recommend to others too. I think I learned a lot on the 250 that makes me appreciate the 500 more and also did most of my learning mix ups on that one so now I feel more confident and better prepared for a bigger bike. Of course, I'm still learning but now with the experience I gained from the 250.

Attached is a pic of my previous 250 next to my current 500.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
well, misleading thread title but:

i am eagerly awaiting the real world reviews from the chosen few that got the 500's.
Your question about ergo could be phrased better. For some "worse" would be a more upright ergo and for others a lean in more than the cbr250 would be worse.

I am in the category of if the CBR500r makes me lean in more it would be worse. would want more upright.

Your question about the 500 or 650 as an upgrade is something i am wrestling with.
For maybe $1500 more i can get a Ninja 650 or SV650 and have much more power and not much more weight. The Ninja is only 30lb more than the cbr500.
Big factor in this is insurance. There is no diff btwn the 500 or 650. I would be in next tier (401cc to 750cc) so may as well get the 650.

I would be interesting in hearing what the fit and finish is like. It has been reported it is better than the 250 but would like to hear it from rider first hand.
Also seeing that the redline is only 8500 is a concern. I wonder what the rpm is at when cruising at 130kph.

not sure i am liking the new dash on the 500. do not like that they regressed and now have a dipstick instead of sight glass for oil checking.
First off there is a sight glass bottom center of the bike. Yes the fit and finish is amazing its really well put together only concern I have is the pillion seat mar be easy to rip but I will have a passenger seldom. Motorcyclist just published a review that was BS. Be careful about written reviews. Honda did not lie in their description of the bike its easy to ride/learn on but it is not a free revving supersport the engine was designed to be torque friendly and easy to manage.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Hi Everyone,

New member! I have a 2012 CBR250r I've been riding for a year now, I commute in the Bay Area so it's a lot of highway for me. Lately I've been noticing the need for more power especially on the highway (as I find myself maxing out the throttle often) and I wanted to get some feedback from riders who upgraded to a CBR500r from a CBR250r as I'm considering an upgrade.

- How is the power difference? Are you reaching highway speeds noticeably faster?

- Ergonomics, does your seating position on a CBR500r feel better or worse compared to the 250?

- It gets pretty windy on the 101. I'm sure most CBR250r riders notice when a strong gust of wind forces them to lean more to stay in a lane. Is this less noticeable on the 500?

- On average how many miles are you getting per gallon?

- Lastly do you feel you made a better purchase buying a 500cc than a 650cc bike? (Usable power and a little more, room to grow)

- One minor thing, is it a bitch to replace the windshield on the 500? On the 250 you practically have to take the whole thing apart.
Power difference is noticeable. I'd say 80% faster.

I got an F. It feels much more comfortable than the 250R. More of an upright position.

As for wind, the F is a naked. Go figure.

I'm not familiar with the imperial system, but I use around 5L per 100km.

The reason I chose a 500 over a 650 is because in Australia I would have been forced to use a restricted 650 with the same power output as the 500 for $4000 more. I would have done it, but it's illegal to derestrict a bike in Aus. My license doesn't allow me to have an unrestricted bike, so the 500 was a logical choice. It's a better commuter anyway, which is what I use mine for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input guys.

@alanwill yes I am in the Bay Area and I ride 101 to work every other day I do feel I need more power for the freeway as I'm struggling to pass (sensibly) at highway speeds. Most of the time it's traffic anyway and I can split comfortably but I would prefer not being in traffic and when I am not, that I have the power to be evasive.

Last week I put my name on the waiting list for the CBR500R but I sat on a (gasp in a Honda Forum!) Ninja 650 and well I really liked the seating position, instrument panel, and the style of that bike. So I put in an order for a 2013 Ninja 650 Thunder Blue Color. I know what you mean about the CBR500r engine sound, it sounds SOOOO awesome and when paired with a Two Brothers exhaust sounds amazing. Unfortunately the Ninja 650 will probably have the same sound as my 250 but louder, it's alright I wear ear plugs anyway.

I ordered the Ninja because I don't want to upgrade so quickly again but a friend told me once, it doesn't matter what bike you have, you'll always want more power later. Hopefully that's not the case, I'm pretty sensible and I wonder when I'll ever use the extra power. I love my 250 though and learned quite a bit on it. When I look at it, I feel like it's giving me the puppy dog eyes of not wanting to leave me. :(

Did you trade your 250 in? If you don't mind me asking could you post or PM what the dealer offered for it? I have the same tri-color with abs but with 4000 miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What was BS about it? What did they say?

:confused:
They acted if it was going to be an all out sport bike and did not like that the engine wasn't high strung like the 300 they compared it to. It was like reading another gushing article about the 300r its not a bad bike by any means but they are not in the same category as the new honda 500's. Narrower tires harder to keep a lane with etc but they seemed to bash the 500's for being stable? Just bad journalism.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
If you do alot of highway riding and that is important to you - have you ever considered a 600 or higher?

·
Registered
10 Posts
While I recently upgraded from a CB250R to a CBX500, I think a 650 Ninja would have been ok too. The reasons I went with the Honda are many, but mostly:
1. I have owned lots of Hondas (and a Kawasaki), and have always liked Honda durability (not to say Kwakas aren't durable, just that I have kept my Hondas for longer).
2. Honda CB500 is idiot proof riding - doesn't do anything unexpectedly. Controls are light.
3. I much prefer Honda ABS - it is less intrusive than the Kawasaki system.
4. The CBX meets my comfort needs - like sitting in an armchair. I think a better seat than the R or F for long distance travel. No back pain. But I can also kiss the mirrors and swing it through bends quite sharply when I want to play boy racer.

Some points about the Kwaka:
1. The exhaust on the Ninja is the most sensible, sweet sounding, unobtrusive piece of metal on any bike anywhere. Also leaves plenty of room for passenger's feet and saddle-bags (if you are so inclined); doesn't throw heat onto your leg like the Honda (or under your bum like the Ducatis); looks great.
2. The Ninja still offers an analogue tacho (I HATE the digital one on the Honda).
3. The Kwaka is a heavier bike (this can be good or bad depending on what you like. Me, I like light and chuckable).
4. The Kwaka uses more fuel.
5. The Kwaka doesn't come in matte black.

Hope this helps with your decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts