Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lowering link bar snapped on my 14 500r it is the connecting bar from the triangle ro the frame ,and curios if I can use a bar from a cbr600, or 1000, as they look very similar and are considerably cheaper ,any suggestions, the one that broke was a black bar with one hole at one end and the two holes opposite end ,cam I replace it with a different threaded rod style link ???
Thanks for any info

馃挴James
z

Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
90% of lowering links available in Internet are pure crap - they are badly designed and made of substandard materials in unknown countries by anonimous workshops. In case of injuries due to broken links there is no way to sueing them for liabilities. From design point of view threaded rods are the worst option among them.

Saying that - I would suggest to look for some reputable brand in USA. At least you can sueing them if something goes wrong. And I wouldn't recommend to use links from other models - their suspensions can have different linkage ratio (different load on link) thus links designed for higher or lower loads. To don't speak about manufacturers warranty void if links from other bike is used.

P.D. The link on a pic has clearly visible fatigue crack propagation pattern followed by sudden fracture. How old is this link?

Registered
Were it my bike (and my safety at risk) I would take the broken pieces to a machine shop and ask them to make one of quality materials. Be sure to grease any pivot points on the linkage so the suspension can work properly and not bind, which can induce metal fatigue..
Ralph

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies I actually found one from an owner with the same model bike as me with a spare adjustable link that will work with my bike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
90% of lowering links available in Internet are pure crap - they are badly designed and made of substandard materials in unknown countries by anonimous workshops. In case of injuries due to broken links there is no way to sueing them for liabilities. From design point of view threaded rods are the worst option among them.

Saying that - I would suggest to look for some reputable brand in USA. At least you can sueing them if something goes wrong. And I wouldn't recommend to use links from other models - their suspensions can have different linkage ratio (different load on link) thus links designed for higher or lower loads. To don't speak about manufacturers warranty void if links from other bike is used.

P.D. The link on a pic has clearly visible fatigue crack propagation pattern followed by sudden fracture. How old is this link?
It was on the bike when I purchased it 3 months ago and it snapped when I placed the bike on some uneven concrete in my yard ,so thankfully not while riding .

Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
Thanks for the replies I actually found one from an owner with the same model bike as me with a spare adjustable link that will work with my bike
This is the worst option. And link failure at high speed/midcorner/surrounded by highway traffic/with a truck behind could be really dangerous - I can't stress it enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts