Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I was trying to load up my CB500F onto a new hitch-mounted trailer by myself. I don't think I need to say much more than that for you (and me) to realize that it was a stupid thing to do. Needless to say I lost balance of the bike and it fell on it's left side.:pissedoff

Luckily my truck slowed the fall and the only damage seems to be the foot peg broken off, gear shift pedal bent, and scratched bar end (not to mention a couple scrapes and bruises and sore ego:shy).

I can live with the bar end scratch and I can replace the broken foot peg easy enough. No big deal there.:thumbsup

I couldn't unbend the pedal so I took it off which was easy enough after turning two screws (#16 and #12 in diagram) on the tie rod (#11) and removing the main hex bolt (#10). Image of parts diagram and removed pedal below. Marks on the pedal is from my channel locks while trying to unbend it.:confused2

I have two questions for y'all. :confused

1) It seems that the swivel joint that connects to the tie rod (the one with the dust cover) is permanently attached to the pedal. Does that bit come with a new pedal or do I need to take this one off and transfer to new pedal?

2) How the heck do I get the rubber piece (#5) off of the end of the lever so I can re-use it? Seems to be on there awfully tight. Or would it be easier to shimmy a new one onto the new pedal and toss the old one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes it comes with the shift pedal and for the price, it's much easier to buy the rubber cover to put on the new pedal.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You probably can use a screwdriver to get the rubber off, if you lubricate it with WD-40.
But it is cheap enough and if you are placing an order for the shifter, I would oder the rubber too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A bit of water underneath the rubber or heating it with a hair dryer to make it soft and swell a little makes it easy to remove the rubber.

I would have thought a piece of hollow pipe ect to fit over the rubber end part and a bit of the shift arm would allow you to straighten the lever while it is still mounted on the bike. That lever isn't that strong, they are meant to bend instead of breaking something else a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
888 Posts
You peck away at the mushroom nub at the end with an abrasive tool. Don't overheat anything. Then lube like above and slide off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone. After fiddling with it some more I've ordered a new one for the new pedal. $2 or so isn't worth the frustration.

I really need to learn to stop knocking critical components off of my bike. I'm going to be driving my cage for 2 weeks waiting for these parts... Sigh...

·
Registered
888 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. After fiddling with it some more I've ordered a new one for the new pedal. $2 or so isn't worth the frustration.

I really need to learn to stop knocking critical components off of my bike. I'm going to be driving my cage for 2 weeks waiting for these parts... Sigh...
I feel your pain. This is a crappy time of year to be grounded. I've waited weeks in the past for critical parts too. It sucks.

Hang in and don't keep trying to put a round peg in a square hole. With your ride, that is.

·
Registered
376 Posts
When I dropped mine, I bent the pedal back enough to where it's rideable. That took two people, a crowbar and a BIG screwdriver though. Got any pictures of the damage?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I dropped mine, I bent the pedal back enough to where it's rideable. That took two people, a crowbar and a BIG screwdriver though. Got any pictures of the damage?
Yeah, it proved to be way too tough for me to bend back alone with the tools I have so I just ordered a new one. Should be here this week thankfully. It was back-ordered. Sucks to miss out on 2-3 weeks of summer.

As far as damage I really don't have any marks on the bike itself except for a small semi-circle on the metal plate the foot peg attaches to. When the shifter bent in it pressed hard against that and it dragged a bit when I forced it into neutral to roll the bike. Oh and I snapped the foot peg off but those are meant to brake away it seems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had to bend mine out a couple of nights ago I was teaching the wife how to ride and when she came to a stop well she didn't put her feet down! Bent that little sucker all the way in had to pull and tweet it for a bit but back up and riding.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Put that thing in a vice; take off the rubber; use a foot-long pipe that fits snugly over the part where the rubber was; bend it using the leverage of the pipe; done.

Reactions: Plasma1 and Xch

·
Registered
551 Posts
Put that thing in a vice; take off the rubber; use a foot-long pipe that fits snugly over the part where the rubber was; bend it using the leverage of the pipe; done.

Mine is not damaged, but I am tempted to try that just bend it a little farther away from the motor. I hate having to pigeon toe my boot every time I want to shift.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I live at the top of a gravel driveway. So needless to say I laid my bike down at the bottom of the hill trying to stop too quickly. I bent the shift pedal, but not enough to stop it from still working. So i'm glad I found this thread. I'm ordering a new pedal too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A few weeks ago I gently dropped mine on it's left side trying to turn across a steeper than I thought hill. Minor damage, mostly a few scrapes, but including a bent shift lever. Bent enough that it was slightly scraping the bare aluminum cover piece behind it. Luckily I was able to get home, albeit with some sticky shifts.

I took mine off, just as op described, and used a 6" vice and 12" crescent wrench to bend it back. Took about 5-10 minutes total.

With the shift lever in the in the 3 o'clock position (just as it is on the bike) I clamped the pivot point with the bolt in (but not the threads) (my thought being that doing so would minimize any deformation from clamping in the vice and bending) into the vice.
Then, with the crescent wrench I pinched it at an angle (away from the vice) in front of the rubber part.
I gently pulled on the wrench a few times to see how much force was needed before giving it a couple hard pulls. I took it out once to eyeball the alignment before giving it one more pull.

If this happens to you, never try and bend it back while it's on the bike. You're more likely to ruin the pivot/bolt.
Second, unless it's severely bent (to the point paint is cracking, or major stress marks are visible), I see no reason to replace it.
If you don't have a vice, then just remove it and take it to a shop. Bring a 6-pack or something and they'll probably do it for free.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I replaced the shift pedal instead of trying to bend the bent one back into shape. So I ordered a new part and bolted it on. Took about 15 minutes. The hardest part was getting the new rubber boot over the toe peg. I should've put some soap on it first I guess.
Just took it out for a test and to get some cat food. All good now!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I end up buying the number 5 (rubber) from the stealership. It's about $1.75. I tried the pull it out and I slowly chipping the rubber off into pieces. :-(

·
Registered
311 Posts
I replaced the shift pedal instead of trying to bend the bent one back into shape. So I ordered a new part and bolted it on. Took about 15 minutes. The hardest part was getting the new rubber boot over the toe peg. I should've put some soap on it first I guess.
Just took it out for a test and to get some cat food. All good now!

To replace the rubber just stick a small screw driver down the rubber and spray some W40 in and it will fly off.

Plasma1

1 - 17 of 17 Posts