Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps
It has most likely been asked before, my bike 2018 cb500f-a came with dunlop tyres but found them wanting on our roads.
So thinking of replacing them but would like ones with fairly good mileage and great roadholding in the wet and dry conditions.
I am leaning towards Michelin Road 5 as replacements.
Any thoughts and experience what works for your bike would be appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love those dunlops. Have Michelin pilot road 5s now, better in the dry no better in the wet. Won't be fitting them next time,I'm too tight. Might be Bt023s at £165 plus fitting
Thanks Adio, I will have a look at the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have Michelin Road 5s, have rode in very heavy rain, and am very happy with them. One time it was so heavy I just could not see, so parked to the side of the road to wait for it to calm down and the water flowing along the side of the road was above my foot. I t think that was on the A6003 in Rockingham.

Anyway, the bike had PR4s when I bought it. I am not sure how old they were but the bike had around 5k on it, and I replaced those after 13,459 miles.

Because of an offer I bought Road 5s and they lasted 18,914 miles before being replaced, with one repaired puncture in that time.

Because of their longevity I bought another pair of Road 5s. They are only 8,305 miles old at the moment.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi peeps
It has most likely been asked before, my bike 2018 cb500f-a came with dunlop tyres but found them wanting on our roads.
So thinking of replacing them but would like ones with fairly good mileage and great roadholding in the wet and dry conditions.
Forgot to say OldRocker my PR5s have done 3,800 with about 2,000 left if im lucky. For me not as good as i thought they may do.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No sandpaper, just short and squirt plus fast sweepers not too much upright to be honest. Don't see pr5 at £250 for that mileage.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Another vote for the Bridgestone BT023’s. The OEM Dunlops were shot at 10,000mi. I have 8,000 on the 023’s & they have plenty of life left. They also feel much better than the Dunlops. They are a good value. I will buy them again when they are shot. That said, plenty of folks like other tires, so do what you like.

·
Registered
249 Posts
ADIOS600..
I'm just jealous. The training wheels on my motorcycle prevent me from leaning too far into the curves, No way I can scrub off the edges of my tires. Unless you have a direct lineage from Methuselah, we probably have more years in common than not. At 66 years, any day I can remember where to find my keys and throw a leg across the seat of my bike, without needing a step stool, is the start of a good day. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ADIOS600..
I'm just jealous. The training wheels on my motorcycle prevent me from leaning too far into the curves, Unless you have a direct lineage from Methuselah, we probably have more years in common than not. At 66 years, any day I can remember where to find my keys and throw a leg across the seat of my bike, without needing a step stool, is the start of a good day. :)
Another 7 years and you have caught me up, only been riding bikes for over 50 years 😎

·
Registered
181 Posts
You're all good lads it's nice to have a banter. As long as we still enjoy it who gives a s**t what tyres exhaust suspension and tail tidy we have,just enjoy it and have good time. And don't forget to take the Mick out of your biking buddy's. 💋💋

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You realize there's only one way I can catch up with you.
Let's hope I don't. If we both keep at it, I'll be satisfied to stay back here, 7 years your younger.(y)
Smiles, you will have to ride like you stole it to catch me up, mind you you won't find me as I will be nuked when my time is up. We all enjoy bikes whatever you ride as long as it hasn't a chocolate box engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi peeps
@OldRocker I have a 2016CB500F and recently went from Dunlop Sportmax to Pirelli Rosso Corsa II's. I've only been riding about 18 months and mostly weekend rides as well as track based rider courses (not track days). I found the difference between the Dunlops and the Pirelli's night and day. Despite my experience deficit I felt the Dunlops were hard and uncommunicative but the Pirelli's are more compliant, offer greater feel, predictability and a level of grip and confidence that certainly exceed my needs at this point. As an aside, just last week I had the suspension set up and tuned for my weight 82kg. Front fork overhaul ie fluid and springs, stiffer rear spring and all sag settings. Thoroughly recommended. The bike is so much better to ride in terms of comfort, balance and confidence levels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts